Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Give me a break. Did you watch any of the commiteee meetings . They allowed republicans to place amendments then voted them down on party lines, they even voted down many conservative democrats amendments. In many cases they didn't even allow time for thier bills to be read before voting in committee. What they did was to jam the bills thru committee. Then what they compromised on was in giving special provisions to those democrats that heldout.In fact if you look they even ignaored voters which is why the liberal proposals are in the fix they are now.Its the liberals who have found that thier ram it down the throat methods have backfired on them really;which is what liberals such as yourself have advocated since the election.Do what a minority of the left wing of the party wants and ignore everyhting else and we see the results. Its like the stimulus ;little stimulus and alot fo maney for speail interest groups;like letting kid kid loose in a candy store with the parents credit card. At the end of the day all you have is a sticky mess and a credit card bill to pay.
Texdav, where did you come to the conclusion that I am a liberal? Whether I am or not, where did you get that from. I look at issues and candidates objectively. I have no loyalty to either party. Go ahead, let me know what makes you think I am a liberal. Or is it a way to label someone who may have points that doesn't necessarily agree with your views. Please explain. I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no is was NOT racist

so when you called bush, bushie was that racist...when the left called bush a shrub...was that racist????

I like to add """Y""" to things...like my name DannY

you showed that YOU are the racist because as soon as you could find one instance where someone said ANYTHING bad about your guy, you through out the race card..

sorry girl, but you are the racist.....btw I am very mixed to include BLACK/ and american indian.
I call BS.

"Y" is added to names that don't have a vowel at the ending. "Donna" doesn't customarily become "Donny", "Lisa" doesn't customarily become Leesee. So that explanation doesn't wash.

While Obamy isn't necessarily racist, it is an attempt to demean the President. And it doesn't matter what race you are, it's disrespectful and rude to do this. Disagree with the President, by all means. Make an argument against him, but keep in mind that when you demean him, you aren't making your own argument stronger.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Texdav, where did you come to the conclusion that I am a liberal? Whether I am or not, where did you get that from. I look at issues and candidates objectively. I have no loyalty to either party. Go ahead, let me know what makes you think I am a liberal. Or is it a way to label someone who may have points that doesn't necessarily agree with your views. Please explain. I am curious.
Not texdav, but I can understand how that conclusion was reached. Your points 1, 2, and 3 below are liberal talking points that are factually incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
1) Republicans didn't have any intentions to work with the democrats on the health care bill. They were bluffing and questioning just about everything on the bill to waste time and kill it.

2) Democrats at first tried to work with the republicans. In fact, I believe they tried so hard to please the other side that they passed a crappy version of the health care that is not even reform.

3) Didn't the democrats realize that no matter what the republicans were not going to work with them? Why not stick to their initial plans and proposals and try to get it past.
Had you watched the committee meetings, as texdav mentioned, you wouldn't have been so easily fooled.

Where did your 'observations' come from?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not texdav, but I can understand how that conclusion was reached. Your points 1, 2, and 3 below are liberal talking points that are factually incorrect.

Had you watched the committee meetings, as texdav mentioned, you wouldn't have been so easily fooled.

Where did your 'observations' come from?
I'm not so sure that texdav's points are "factually incorrect."

It does take both sides to achieve bipartisanship, and neither side has been able to effectively reach out to the other, but there certainly has been a strategy of obstructionism against Obama's administration, and against the Democratic cadre in Congress by default. That said, there has also been a disagreeable amount of arrogance displayed by the Democrats, as well as their usual inability to "get it together".

Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not so sure that texdav's points are "factually incorrect."

It does take both sides to achieve bipartisanship, and neither side has been able to effectively reach out to the other, but there certainly has been a strategy of obstructionism against Obama's administration, and against the Democratic cadre in Congress by default. That said, there has also been a disagreeable amount of arrogance displayed by the Democrats, as well as their usual inability to "get it together".
You DO remember how the Republicans' contributions to health care reform were shut out by the Dems and NOT the other way around, right? It's a matter of record.
House Committee on Ways & Means - Republican

Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
observer...

he never mentioned your affiliation

what he has spoke of is the the current bunch that are in washington, took the election of Nov 2008 as a "mandate" and since then have been pushing their agenda, even though it is not what america wants

look at the health garbage bill

america wants portability......did congress make it so.....NOPE

america wants coverage(of some type, not even full coverage, most just want a hospitalization) for all....does the congress(either house) bills do this.....nope will still leave about 20 million uncovered

america wants costs to be controlled...does any of the current bills do this....NOT AT ALL....

instead of multiple thousand page bills congress could have done this:

1. a one or two page bill, banning any form of pre-existing condition penalties from all health insurance........BOTH parties would have been fine with this
2. a one or two page bill explaining that all health insuarnce should be a nationwide coverage and costs should not be based on what state you are in........Both parties would have generally supported this
3. get rid of the BS law suits,,,not the loss of life/limb suits, but the BS law suits that tie up the courts, and cause fees and services to go up because of the waste
4. deregulate the FDA....yes I said deregulate....why does the fda need to take 20 years to figure that we can do things here, tahat have been done in europe for the last 2 decaides (((( a prime example, when I got hurt in Iraq, (my back), when I came home in late 2003 the only choice here in the states was fusing the vertibre, mean while they have been doing artificial disc REPLACEMENT in europe for 25 years...luckily nov 2004 tthe fda FINALLY approved the surgery in the USA, I received my disc in Jan 2007, and I am very happy, made it so I can be vertical again)))....as you see again the government is not the solution, as it is more of the problem.
5. raise the threshhold for medicaid (ie raise the proverty threshhold) this way more people would be covered under medicaid which would take care of that 30 million that they say are 'uninsured'

and finally 6. tell the people INSURANCE is NOT CARE

JMHO

Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You DO remember how the Republicans' contributions to health care reform were shut out by the Dems and NOT the other way around, right? It's a matter of record.
House Committee on Ways & Means - Republican
I do. But some of those contributions were simply redundancies that didn't need to be added, and so were obstructionist in nature. The process works this way, anyway, legislators make proposals to legislation, and it gets voted on. Don't you think there were proposals to health care reform made by Democrats that didn't make the cut? And were the Republican contributions about reforming health care, or about limiting health care reform? There are ways to be a constructive part of the process and ways to be an obstructive part of the process, and the Republicans seemed more interested in obstructing the process. Which is not to say that the Democrats don't share part of the blame, either. What they finally put together is junk, to put it nicely. And they need to own that.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yet you think it's fine that the Rs are partisan.
The point is that the Rs are never bipartisan.
Look at the R voting card since Obama has been elected.

The Ds have a majority, use it.
Did Dirty Harry and Nasty Nancy tell the Republicans that they wouldn't be needed to pass all kinds of good stuff? Well sure they did but Dirty Harry was counting on some RINOs that didn't go along on health care so he had to do it without them.

Why would the Republicans ever vote with the Dems when just as Juan McCain said the other day, "We should have set up a tent and sold Persian rugs the past year". He was right, you know. Reid told them he didn't need them and unless he can get the two Independents and Collins to go along with him the health care bill is dead.

Majorities only work when the people inside them think alike and there is too much division in the Dem party in the Congress.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I call BS.

"Y" is added to names that don't have a vowel at the ending. "Donna" doesn't customarily become "Donny", "Lisa" doesn't customarily become Leesee. So that explanation doesn't wash.

While Obamy isn't necessarily racist, it is an attempt to demean the President. And it doesn't matter what race you are, it's disrespectful and rude to do this. Disagree with the President, by all means. Make an argument against him, but keep in mind that when you demean him, you aren't making your own argument stronger.
whether you like the fact that I add a y to things mean nothing to me....

the facts are in that many of the posters here are one sided. and love to pull the race card, when no intention of race was even mentioned

cheilgirl said that me saying obamy is racist, then either she herself has issues with race, or she is IGNORANT of what racism is.

when she herself has said bushie, shrub, dumbya....was that racist.....according to HER description of me calling my POTUS obamy , then yes.....

Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
"While Obamy isn't necessarily racist, it is an attempt to demean the President. And it doesn't matter what race you are, it's disrespectful and rude to do this. Disagree with the President, by all means. Make an argument against him, but keep in mind that when you demean him, you aren't making your own argument stronger.

I know this isn't your first day here on the forum. Since when did disrespectful and rude ever stop
those on this forum from what they said/say about reublican preidents.

You can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies