Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat??
oh, go blow it out your ear. What I meant was, I ask questions so that I don't to have to cost the governement anything. If everyone thought about their finances like I do, we wouldn't have this financial crises, and the country would be in better shape.

I don't see this board as a popularity contest. I'm not trying to look cool. Sorry if I annoy you, but I don't even know you. Why do I care what you think? I'm here getting info and if I get it, I'll go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
Yeah, this annoys me. The laws are complex, and I don't understand them; I bet you don't either. I am here trying to understand them, then I will do what is reasonable to protect myself. Your insults don't deter me in the slightest.

This world is full of people who have mucked up their lives because they don't understand real estate laws or health insurance laws or student loan laws and make stupid uninformed decisions on big issues. If it takes looking foolish and asking a lot of questions then I will look foolish and ask a lot of questions. I have worked twenty hard years to build up an estate. If it takes two weeks of going to a lawyer and asking questions and finding out EXACTLY what the laws are and how I can protect myself, I will do that.

If there were no issues at all, then I just can't understand why we would be worrying about our broken health care system. The debates on television and newspapers have awakened me to the fact that there are issues, people have fallen through the cracks. Obviously there are issues, they aren't easy to understand, but I am determined to understand them. The country is full of people who were afraid enough to ask questions because people like you made them feel stupid, and now they are a ward of the state.

Maybe you are one of those people who just assumed their coverage was okay when it wasn't and I'll be paying my taxes to save your sorry butt.

I asked a lot of questions, but I didn't ever cost the government anything, I am paying my taxes.

If everyone was like me, our country would be a lot better off. When I know the best thing to do, that's what I'll do.

This is a public board, not personal. I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I'll seek the info I need.

The fact that I am getting five different answers to my questions tells me that a lot of other people don't know what is going on, either.
I'm not sure where you think I'm insulting you...you are likely misreading my post. I was trying to be helpful, to let you know that people in their 50's can get insurance, that there are options even for folks with pre-existing conditions, etc...not to make you feel stupid. Don't give me (or anyone) that much power over your emotional state.
You should ask questions, you should inform yourself...those are good things and I wish more people would do it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
No, they don't pay for annual exams. For example, I have to go every year for blood work related to my thyroid disease. I get an exam that includes not only my thyroid blood work but all the regular stuff, cholesterol, blood sugar, liver & kidney function, etc. It's basic blood/urine testing. This year my testing showed low Vit. D levels...which after informing myself (along with Doc's notes) is something I want to pay attention to. I also get a pap smear and breast exam. My doc checks my skin for moles and barnacles, lol. She asks how I'm feeling, if I have any concerns, etc. That's a pretty normal annual exam, at any age.

None of that would be covered by Medicare as an annual exam.
I stand corrected, Medicare will pay for certain things, but an annual preventive care check up is not one of. I confused something that is in the bills in Congress that would make that change, as part of the reform package.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
oh, go blow it out your ear. What I meant was, I ask questions so that I don't to have to cost the governement anything. If everyone thought about their finances like I do, we wouldn't have this financial crises, and the country would be in better shape.

I don't see this board as a popularity contest. I'm not trying to look cool. Sorry if I annoy you, but I don't even know you. Why do I care what you think? I'm here getting info and if I get it, I'll go away.
Jeez, calm down. I didn't even quote your name. It just seemed like you were really blowing your own horn. I do not agree that the country would be better off if everyone lived exactly like me. You might be surprised what you already cost the govt, let alone what you may cost them in the future. If you take a tax deduciton on your insurance, you are costing the govt. If you live to go on Medicare, you'll be costing the govt. And so on.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Pssst.....Katiana is likely to be on your side of this issue.
You are suddenly posting in a very defensive manner and folks have been nicely answering your questions, trying to help you. I have no idea why you are suddenly spouting off to posters but your "I'm better than you" attitude is really not going to endear yourself to posters here.
Perhaps you should stick to seeking advice from insurance agents and lawyers and the like....when you slam the door in their faces you'll feel immeasurable more satisfied than you do sniping at random posters on message boards. After all, what do we all know...we aren't you. And yet you are here asking us for help...???

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^^Thanks NCyank. I know we have disagreed in the past, but we can put our differences aside at times.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
^^^Thanks NCyank. I know we have disagreed in the past, but we can put our differences aside at times.
No problem....we may disagree but it's not personal.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
I did not understand this--are you saying that insurers are not allowed to exclude me in I switch to the plan from my Cobra?

There was a story in the NYT about a woman who developed cancer while she was on Cobra and her Cobra was running out, and no private plan would take her. This absolutely terrified me, because it told me no responsible person can protect themselves in our system.

<<<< Karen, don't believe everything you read in the major media. It is popular to leave out the facts and make insurers look like the bad guys.That lady may have dropped her COBRA too soon in order to find a cheaper plan or missed a payment or something. Or she might have been under the wrong impression that she'd be rejected due to her Cancer even though she did everything right and lied on her application about her health history WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER DO. That is FRAUD.If she did any of these things she could have been rejected. Usually when you see these stories in the paper it is the last situation. Sometimes a few insurers do wiggle out on claims but more often it is the applicant committing fraud. Insurance companies wouldn't stay in business if they didn't pay legitimate claims. Also health insurance is very technical and precious few reporters explain it correctly.>>>>>>>>

What you are saying, I was wrong to be worried???

<<<<<YES! You are worrying over nothing. I've been wondering why you aren't relieved by my posts. I'm pointing out that FEDERAL LAW does protect you as far as health insurance portability goes when you leave an employer however, you have to do every step. For example, if you have pre-existing conditions and are on COBRA and want the new plan to cover the pre-ex condtions once after the COBRA, you can't switch to another plan before the 18 months is up (except of course if you are hired by a new employer) but if you expect to be on your own after the COBRA, you have to stay on it the entire time. Of course if you don't have any big pre-ex conditons, you are in a position to pick and choose health plans and of course you'll be accepted and they will cover everything. You'll get good rates because you have your health. In this case there is no reason to stay on COBRA if you can find an individual plan that is better priced.>>>

Essentially, that the 'portability problem' is a myth--everyone can keep their insurance as long as they switch from their insurers plan from Cobra? Insurers have to accept them??? Is this true??????? Then what the heck is all the fuss about???? People in my situation have no problems. I saved for retirement and to buy insurance if I must buy it privately, but imagined I might not be able to buy it, which terrified me. Then what is the point of the UnitedHealth Continuity product??? UnitedHealth Continuity | GoldenRule.com

Please answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<<<<OK.OK. LOL. Portability isn't really a problem. It is just cumbersome. You can do the Continuity Product if you want but if you have your health when you decide to leave the company you can shop around for other individual plans such as John Alden/ Assurant Health with over 100 years experience--which would have a better quality HSA compatible plan than Golden Rule has plus better access to more doctors and hospitals. The continuity product is kind of a gimmick and a way for them to start collecting premiums before they have to insure you. However if you want to be extra safe (if you think you'll be sick when you leave the company), it might be worth it to apply now while you are healthy and can qualify for lower rates. But as I've said before, if you aren't worried about rates, every state has a guaranteed issue plan with coverage for pre-existing conditions for people coming off their employer's plan who have exhausted COBRA.>>>>>>>

And yes, I realize I am not showing much concern for poorer people, but I will have more time for compassion if I can be secure myself.

Please answer. Does this work in all states?

<<<<Yes>>>>>

Edit: I read this fact sheet you provided, but did not understand it. I am going to take it to a lawyer before I do anything. But THANK YOU for posting it.
<<<You're welcome>>>

Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'm not sure where you think I'm insulting you...you are likely misreading my post. I was trying to be helpful, to let you know that people in their 50's can get insurance, that there are options even for folks with pre-existing conditions, etc...not to make you feel stupid. Don't give me (or anyone) that much power over your emotional state.
You should ask questions, you should inform yourself...those are good things and I wish more people would do it.
I apologize--I misread your post. Thank you for trying to help me. I'll re-read it. I am very much in need of info so I hope people will continue to help and disgregard my defenseness. Now that I see it can hurt people, I won't do it again.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Jeez, calm down. I didn't even quote your name. It just seemed like you were really blowing your own horn. I do not agree that the country would be better off if everyone lived exactly like me. You might be surprised what you already cost the govt, let alone what you may cost them in the future. If you take a tax deduciton on your insurance, you are costing the govt. If you live to go on Medicare, you'll be costing the govt. And so on.
ditto what I said to NY--I apologize.
I actually thought I apologized to you before (yesterday) but now I see I apologized to the wrong person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies