Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
But in the last year, I've reading nothing but scare stories about how people just like me, who did everything right, can't buy health insurance, though no fault of their own, because our system is broken. And these people--people just like me!--are left with serious illnesses and no health insurance. I was very concerned, because I knew nothing of this before last year. Thank god, we were going to have reform! I thought.

I think its possible the Obama administration wanted people like me, who have health insurance through work, and do have savings, to feel they were very vulnerable. (I read the Obama web page with all the horror stories. and I got constant emails from his administration containing personal stories of people who 'fell through the cracks' though they did everything right!) Also, the New York Times made me feel scared.

Now I don't know--maybe they were just trying to scare me. I feel a bit foolish and duped. Maybe , however, there is cause for concern.
Karen, here is a quote that reflects the attitude of people who are hell*bent on furthering THEIR agenda. It is deals with climate, but there are plenty of people who think this way with respect to healthcare as well:

We need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination… So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements and make little mention of any doubts… Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.”
- Stephen Schneider, Stanford Professor of Climatology, lead author of many IPCC reports

Now, remember the oft-repeated quote "Never let a crisis go to waste" ? If there is no real evident crisis, the strategy is to *create* the impression of a major crisis, then proceed to
"fix" it - see how the quote above would come into play -- "each of us has to decide...the right balance between being effective and being honest."

We can see this happening right now with the adminstration, the democrats, especially with Pelosi and Reid, can't we. They succeeded in scaring lots of people, not just you. Why do you think they keep repeating those individuals' stories? That is totally unethical and dishonest on their part, but it furthers their agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
I'm into my 70s now and if there is one thing I've learned it's that life is all about ATTITUDE If you do not have a POSITIVE ATTITUDE you and your health will suffer. When you get a health issue to deal with your mind will have your body following it's negativity and things will get worse, not better. I'm a big believer in the mind-body connection. I've overcome four serious health challenges and now I'm working on knocking out some stage 3B aggressive lymphatic cancer as #5. Success is a foregone conclusion for me and was NEVER in doubt! No biggie and I mean that! I'm no hero. I am a pragmatic realist though. Just never flinched, got about educating myself (GOD bless the advent of the computer) and got about dealing with it. Easy? Nope, but you do what you must do. I tell people in the medical field who don't understand me that I went into this tunnel with a smile on my face and a positive attitude and I'm coming out the far end the same way. My VA oncologist told me he has 38 patients with cancer, 20 of the stage 3 and 4 kind and only three people in the aggressive stages are doing well and have been able to deal with the toxicity side-effects, which truly can be brutal. The other two are in their 30s and 40s respectively and I'm the third guy, the oldest and doing the best. He says he doesn't understand it. Of course I told him about attitude and he just smiled at me. He's too young to GET IT!

Start looking at the clear blue skies kid-do..., not all the dark clouds. You do the best you can and the rest is out of your hands, insurance notwithstanding. Keep the Faith and breathe in some healthy self-confidence and you'll be on the uphill road.
Used up my reps for you, but this is an awesome, awesome post! Thank you!
We had a daughter at 20 go through aggressive cancer. She was a grad student at a large University. Her prof told her to hang it up. She'd never make it through the program. Of the 8 people who graduated as PhD's in math, she was among the top 3, and today, after 10 years, she's still cancer free. I give a lot of the credit to focus, determination and attitude (plus first class US medical care).

Awesome, doctorhugo. Hang in there and don't let the turkeys get you down. Wishing you bright blue skies for years and years. Your advice is good for everyone, including those in good health too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 PM

918 posts, read 816,969 times
Default southward bound

Thanks for these flowers...

Quote:
Awesome, doctorhugo. Hang in there and don't let the turkeys get you down. Wishing you bright blue skies for years and years. Your advice is good for everyone, including those in good health too!
The "turkeys" NEVER get me down. They offer great leisure time entertainment. Sort of like having one's own little carnival shooting gallery and they go down and around and damn...if they don't pop right up again. Since I'm not usin' real bullets it's great sport! And I even got two or was it three...lost count..., mods helpin' me to reload correctly. One couldn't ask for more.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Karen, here is a quote that reflects the attitude of people who are hell*bent on furthering THEIR agenda. It is deals with climate, but there are plenty of people who think this way with respect to healthcare as well:

“We need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination… So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements and make little mention of any doubts… Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.â€
- Stephen Schneider, Stanford Professor of Climatology, lead author of many IPCC reports
Funny, I thought this thread was about health care, not global warming, climate change, whatever you want to call it.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Uhh... perhaps you should actually read the entire post... he was using an analogy... about scare tactics, lies, and deceit...

Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM

667 posts, read 1,849,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
I'm into my 70s now and if there is one thing I've learned it's that life is all about ATTITUDE If you do not have a POSITIVE ATTITUDE you and your health will suffer. When you get a health issue to deal with your mind will have your body following it's negativity and things will get worse, not better. I'm a big believer in the mind-body connection. I've overcome four serious health challenges and now I'm working on knocking out some stage 3B aggressive lymphatic cancer as #5. Success is a foregone conclusion for me and was NEVER in doubt! No biggie and I mean that! I'm no hero. I am a pragmatic realist though. Just never flinched, got about educating myself (GOD bless the advent of the computer) and got about dealing with it. Easy? Nope, but you do what you must do. I tell people in the medical field who don't understand me that I went into this tunnel with a smile on my face and a positive attitude and I'm coming out the far end the same way. My VA oncologist told me he has 38 patients with cancer, 20 of the stage 3 and 4 kind and only three people in the aggressive stages are doing well and have been able to deal with the toxicity side-effects, which truly can be brutal. The other two are in their 30s and 40s respectively and I'm the third guy, the oldest and doing the best. He says he doesn't understand it. Of course I told him about attitude and he just smiled at me. He's too young to GET IT!

Start looking at the clear blue skies kid-do..., not all the dark clouds. You do the best you can and the rest is out of your hands, insurance notwithstanding. Keep the Faith and breathe in some healthy self-confidence and you'll be on the uphill road.
Wow. That's all I can say. Thank you.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM

667 posts, read 1,849,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
<<<You're welcome>>>
emilybh, thank you for giving me all this information I can research. This is kind of you. It is just a start, but I didn't know these terms and now I can research them.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:44 AM

7 posts, read 6,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Maybe you are the exception to the rule. There just seem to be too many YouTube videos complaining about the waiting required in Canada not to think that there is a legitimate problem in that area--including many home made ones describing their personal experiences/observations with the Canadian health care system. Additionally health insurers that I've represented have told me that a large percentage of services provided by hospitals in Maine were to Canadians who didn't want to or couldn't wait for surgery.
Why don't your stop talking to your fellow insurance pals and talk to happy Canadians? Sure, with a booming economy, real estate going off the charts and 1000 people arriving to my small city alone we had a lag, and a few instances out of millions of happy free enterprise and for profit doctor's and hospital visits we have had some challanges, but I assure you I am the norm, not the exception.
However, in our system, if you do have to be on a list and wait for an elective surgery, you do get the surgery, there is no insurance bean counter telling you No.

Health Care anywhere is a challange and we, like you, are always working on it, building new non profit, for profit and combination private and nonprofit partnership hospitals and for profit neighborhood clinics.

And yunno, with all the doctor's visits, pharmacy visits and operations my wife and I have had since entering our old age...I have never talked to a medical insurance sales person until you. Like, they do not excist in the free world.
Plus you are FREE here to not be part of the non profit insurance and own your own cash health facility.

Oh yes. Love that word FREEDOM!! How's your freedom? Are you free to quit your job? Travel the world? No? Because your boss holds you hostage with a medical plan.

We also know our sytem is not perfect, and that's why we are always working on it and trying new approaches and ideas and none of us understand why do so many Americans demonize our health care system. We actually like you guys. We fight wars with you, help protect your borders and currently we have lots of our guys being killed in Afghanastan and we don't run around trash talking the way you guys run your medical system...or banks. We just do not understand it. Take care now.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 AM

272 posts, read 295,640 times
Quite frankly I'm tired of the success stories of our system now and (no offense) I'm tired of an insurance agent telling you want is out there, and someone 70 years old who has made it through life with insurance and is on medicare now. For some people health insurance is great, more and more people are running into problems with the system as it is now. People who have insurance through employers have no idea what the cost is. When their contributions keep getting increased till they can't afford it any more they will. When their child gets sick and they have to start paying out of pocket or be denied care they will, when they become unemployed they will, when they develop a pre-existing condition they will. How many people paying Cobra (if they could afford it and before the gov't kicked in their percentage) didn't complain about the high cost most can't afford Cobra. Granted 80% of people are happy because they have a company paying for it.

Karen needs to be concerned but not consumed by her fears. She has insurance be happy with that. You have what the majority of America has. Hopefully you will have no problems and make it to medicare. Gov't run program that everybody wants at 65. Be like the rest of America you have insurance the boss pays for it your fine. Unless something goes wrong ( which it doesn't for many in America) you will be fine. If you lose your job you will have to look for a job with insurance. If you can't get insurance, can't afford it, if you become self employed or develop a pre-existing condition, if you get an illness that goes over your cap then you better hope for health care reform now before it happens to you.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
Quite frankly I'm tired of the success stories of our system now and (no offense) I'm tired of an insurance agent telling you want is out there, and someone 70 years old who has made it through life with insurance and is on medicare now. For some people health insurance is great, more and more people are running into problems with the system as it is now. People who have insurance through employers have no idea what the cost is. When their contributions keep getting increased till they can't afford it any more they will. When their child gets sick and they have to start paying out of pocket or be denied care they will, when they become unemployed they will, when they develop a pre-existing condition they will. How many people paying Cobra (if they could afford it and before the gov't kicked in their percentage) didn't complain about the high cost most can't afford Cobra. Granted 80% of people are happy because they have a company paying for it.

Karen needs to be concerned but not consumed by her fears. She has insurance be happy with that. You have what the majority of America has. Hopefully you will have no problems and make it to medicare. Gov't run program that everybody wants at 65. Be like the rest of America you have insurance the boss pays for it your fine. Unless something goes wrong ( which it doesn't for many in America) you will be fine. If you lose your job you will have to look for a job with insurance. If you can't get insurance, can't afford it, if you become self employed or develop a pre-existing condition, if you get an illness that goes over your cap then you better hope for health care reform now before it happens to you.
Agreed, reality has a way of biting you in the a__ sometimes.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Funny, I thought this thread was about health care, not global warming, climate change, whatever you want to call it.
Engaging in some selective reading, are we? Did you miss this part, or just didn't like it? Are you like those in Washington who pick and choose in order to further their agenda? I'm surprised. You're usually not that nitpicky. Having a bad day, or what? Not to worry. Here it is in context:

“We need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination… So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements and make little mention of any doubts… Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.” - Stephen Schneider, Stanford Professor of Climatology, lead author of many IPCC reports

Now, remember the oft-repeated quote "Never let a crisis go to waste" ? If there is no real evident crisis, the strategy is to *create* the impression of a major crisis, then proceed to "fix" it - see how the quote above would come into play -- "each of us has to decide...the right balance between being effective and being honest."

We can see this happening right now with the adminstration, the democrats, especially with Pelosi and Reid, can't we. They succeeded in scaring lots of people, not just you. Why do you think they keep repeating those individuals' stories? That is totally unethical and dishonest on their part, but it furthers their agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Uhh... perhaps you should actually read the entire post... he was using an analogy... about scare tactics, lies, and deceit...
Thank you. Exactly my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies