Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times

Advertisements

Who loves the CIA?

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I believe it is still your turn to explain how your ideological disagreement with Rep. Paul and your assesment of his physical appearance make him as you stated "a miserable human being".
Nope--quote the part of the constitution you think he upholds. I believe in all the amendments. What does Ron Paul believe in?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Sorry, I don't play those games. You made a statement, now back it up. Otherwise . You've been dodging.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Nope--quote the part of the constitution you think he upholds. I believe in all the amendments. What does Ron Paul believe in?
What YOU say is more than likely BS from a uninformed troll. Please show me the times Ron Paul has went against the Constitution.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What YOU say is more than likely BS from a uninformed troll. Please show me the times Ron Paul has went against the Constitution.
Nope. I'm not a troll. I think there are people around here who will back me up. (Check my rep points). I fully believe in the first amendment. I have done a huge amount of name-checking around here. I don't like Ayn Rand--she was wrong. Do you want Atlas to shrug? Bring it on. You have to get the workers on your side. Do you have them?

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
He's freakin' 74 years old, not fat, and speaks fairly eloquently.

+1. I met him during the last caucuses and he appeared healthy to me

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
What a piece of work this man is. How this man has such a rabid following escapes me. The current craziness Ron is spouting goes something like the Jews control the world, the illuminati and the CIA; the CIA had a coup and is actually in control our country and calling the shots, not Obama.
First statement suggests that those who would agree with Ron Paul (generally) are rabid, which denotes mentally unsound and ravenous.

Next is the assertion that he is explicitly crazy, followed by suggestions that he believes Jews control the world, followed by eluding to the "Illuminati" conspiracy types, and mention of the CIA for good measure and effect.

Opening statement of the OP, Ron Paul is crazy, delusional, and is a conspiracy kook, and those who agree with him are the same. Nice opening line.

Quote:
Does this fool actually believe the things he says or is he simply pandering to his base which I believe are nutty.
Second statement, is the implication that Ron Paul can't discern reality and that he panders to a base of people who are obviously just as crazy as he.

Still no mention of any actual content from the article provided, other than the words CIA and coup, to which the context of what was actually said has been glibly embellished to suggest that our President isn't in control of his office.

Quote:
There's been a coup, have you heard? It's the CIA coup. The CIA runs everything...

Ron Paul: After ‘CIA coup,’ agency ‘runs military’ | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2010/01/ron-paul-cia/ - broken link)
This portion of his statement which you state that pertains to the coup of the Presidency, never says that. If you mean the portion, "The CIA runs everything", we know this isn't true because I was at the local grocery store and I didn't see a single CIA agent, so obviously the CIA doesn't run "everything", correct?

So what did Ron Paul suggest was usurped by this coup of the CIA? From what I have read, he pointed his comments at the military and being in the drug business.

Lets start with the primary function of the Central Intelligence Agency

Quote:
The CIA's primary function is to collect information about foreign governments, corporations, and individuals, and to advise public policymakers. The agency conducts covert operations and paramilitary actions, and exerts foreign political influence through its Special Activities Division.
The following is even more important as it outlines its functions

Quote:
1947 National Security Act established the CIA, affording it "no police or law enforcement functions, either at home or abroad". One year later, this mandate was expanded to include "sabotage, anti-sabotage, demolition and evacuation measures...subversion [and] assistance to underground resistance movements, guerrillas and refugee liberation movements, and support of indigenous anti-communist elements in threatened countries of the free world"
In todays environment with an unofficial war on terror (Since no Congressional and formal declaration of war has been made) All actions in the Middle East and elsewhere can then be considered "supporting underground resistance and support of indigenous elements" In other words, in our war on terror, the CIA has full reign to operate with near impunity and in most cases without oversight. Never in our nations history has any agency been afforded this ability.

Consider the recent suicide bomber in Afghanistan which killed several CIA operatives and two private mercenaries of Black Water. Either they weren't very covert or the terrorist just got lucky and I doubt the terrorist were just lucky.

One could certainly make an argument that the CIA has expanded its role in a way never before conceived, and has taken charge of military operations to some extent, which isn't normally the role of the CIA.

Quote:
**edit: I thought it was obvious that the part about Jews controlling the world and the illuminati was a little infused humor to amuse me and the readers, but it wasn't obvious - seems some people actually believe that Ron Paul could have said it. But he did say the CIA had a coup and is now in controll of everything which is about as outlandish as saying the Joos control the world and the illuminati.
The disclaimer in summation. After attracting reactionaries by the first two absurd statements, a quote with little context or explanation, and a link, then comes the, 'I was only kidding but since you believed it you must be crazy' type of statement.

I'll be the first to say Ron Paul isn't the most eloquent speaker, but the inability to orate as well as Jimmy Swaggart does not make one crazy. I could certainly see how many could easily argue with his statements taken in the context as only watching the video or reading the full statement could provide. I know I would have worded and phrased my statement differently and I'm willing to bet that Ron Paul will be asked to comment on this statement, to which the context which has been left out here will be applied.

After reading the article in full and watching the video, I can see the point he was trying to make and it would have made a great discussion arguing that point. Instead this turned into little more than a flame on Ron Paul, which is fine as I'm sure it won't be the last.

Anyone care to debate the expanded role of the CIA or its coup, if you will, of our military in the Middle East?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
You said, "a uniformed." I said, "an uniformed." That is the King's English. Learn it. Are there any English teachers around? Talk about "passive/aggressive."

Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
You said, "a uniformed." I said, "an uniformed." That is the King's English. Learn it. Are there any English teachers around? Talk about "passive/aggressive."

lmao the word is spelled "uninformed" you forgot the "n" both times
Quit avoiding my question.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
lmao the word is spelled "uninformed" you forgot the "n" both times
Quit avoiding my question.
I will grant that I made a mistake about the "n," but, my grandfather was a Marine. I'm thinking he will forgive me for missing the "n." At his Funeral, I heard Taps, and I cried--when I heard that music. I heard that Bugle cry, and my grandfather showed me his medals that he earned in the South Pacific, and yet, you question me? Because I left out an "N?" My Grandfather turns in his grave. He served in the Phillipines. When you diss me, you diss his granddaughter. Do you want to f** with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies