Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Probably one of the stupidist rants I have ever read. Larry King, righty!

Air America failed because it could not survive on its own. Could not get listeners, hence no advertisers. The democrat part put money into keeping it on the air. No listeners, equals no advertisers, hence no show.
Air America was not properly funded from the beginning and they stupidly let go of their best talent. They are still broadcasting every day on other stations.

No matter what conservative talk show hosts may claim, the demise of Air America does not mean there is anything wrong with progressive talk radio today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Air America was not properly funded from the beginning and they stupidly let go of their best talent. They are still broadcasting every day on other stations.

No matter what conservative talk show hosts may claim, the demise of Air America does not mean there is anything wrong with progressive talk radio today.
I can only really speak from my local perspective, that being Boston, a city that is Liberal Democrat to the core.
Besides NPR, which is everywhere, we have 2 or 3 all talk radio stations here. The most successful, by leaps and bounds, are the right leaning programs on those stations. Of course it helps that we are blessed with having stars of the right like Jay Severin, Michael Graham, and Howie Carr, but still, this is a liberal city and the right leaning programs are positively pounding the left leaning competition.
Go to WTTK in Boston and you can hear streaming audio.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
There is no national market for far left radio. That is what Air America was. The opposition has not lost it's voice and please don't be a drama king/queen.
Actually there were some very good programs on AA. And could your comments be just a wee bit more condescending and arrogant?

No I think not.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Far left liberal radio fails miserably because they attack all of the things that regular Americans hold dear, such as religion, self defense, self reliance, individualism, the free market, etc.
Do enlighten me. What is a "Regular American"?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I can only really speak from my local perspective, .
And yet you're able to say this with such certainty...

Quote:
Far left liberal radio fails miserably because they attack all of the things that regular Americans hold dear, such as religion, self defense, self reliance, individualism, the free market, etc.

Imagine that?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
http://airamerica.com/

Did anyone catch this? Evidently, they just closed down operations today (January 21st)? I can't find info on Drudge or any of the other internet news services.

Air America dead

Republican senator in Massachusetts

The libs keep getting hit over the head with the message that the country does not approve of thier far left agenda. They are just too dense to listen. The hearing problem will be corrected in the next election cycle.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 AM

918 posts, read 816,882 times
Default sickofnyc

Why are you sick of New York City? Can't tune in Air America among the big buildings??

Quote:
Whomever wrote that is totally ignorant. AA died quite awhile back due to poor management. Everyone went on to bigger and better gigs over the past year or two. I'm still listeneing to all of them on other stations, online and via satellite radio. Their alive and well and so are their listeners. I provided links to the shows on a previous post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's break this down okay!

You say... "Whomever wrote that is totally ignorant. AA died quite awhile back due to poor management."
Er..hmm...Not quite so! Air America died for one reason. It was an attempt at a commercial radio venure and when the sponsors who provide the commercials saw that none of the ratings indicated people were paying attention they got a bit disheartened and that was that. They pulled the plug effectively. Let's look at what are called "major media markets". They don't get much more "major" that the town you're so sick of, New York:

The Big Apple Snubs Air America By: Byron York OUCH!
The Hill | Thursday, May 05, 2005

"[This show is about...relentlessly hammering away at the Bush administration until they crack and crumble this November because, don’t get me wrong, friends, they are going down!â€

So said Al Franken, the comedian-turned-radio host-turned-political prognosticator, opening his very first show on the liberal Air America radio network March 31, 2004.

Well, as it turned out, George W. Bush didn’t go down in November. But Air America’s ratings did.

The numbers are now in for Air America’s first year of broadcasting, and they aren’t good.

For one thing, the network is only on the air in about 50 of the nation’s 285 radio markets. And in most of those, it is broadcast on small stations, often with weak signals. So it is impossible to compare Air America’s ratings to those of its conservative competitors, such as Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham, who are heard on hundreds of stations.

But we can compare them in at least one place — New York City.

Last year, Franken, whose program airs on WLIB in New York, boasted that he was beating Limbaugh, who is heard on WABC.

“We beat him,†Franken said of Limbaugh in June 2004. “The period we’re opposite Rush, we — we beat WABC, so we think we beat Rush.â€

Turns out that wasn’t the case. When the final ratings came in, Limbaugh remained unscathed.]"

So much for "poor management" . Poor management can be blamed for the time I read that BOTH their mens and ladies rooms in the studios; simultaneously, ran out of toilet paper. That could be called poor management.

Then you opined..."Everyone went on to bigger and better gigs over the past year or two. I'm still listeneing to all of them on other stations, online and via satellite radio." Streaming online radio and subscription radio are NOT the same as AM/FM commercial radio in the marketplace. When they were in the commercial marketplace I had a friend returning from southern California tell me a funny story. He was just outside of Barstow and tweaking his AM radio trying to get something...anything...and in the Mojave desert area on I-15 headin' to Vegas and he hears that fat-mouth 'No-name' Schultz come roarin' in through the speakers. He'd just announced the show opening and that he was started it rolling and as quick as it faded in, it faded out! True story. Sort of like one of those Area 51 type experiences.
So where are they all now?

Al Frankenstein (did you know that was his real name?) headed for the more fertile political fields of Washington, DC where he knew he could hobknob with all manner of lobbyists in doing "the peoples' business" and score bigtime by simply letting them know that his pockets were always wiiiiiide-open. Funny fellow that Al.

Then there's the d*ke diva Rachel Maddow. She/he got a gig with that ultra-right operation MSNBC(MisanthropesSlappingNewbornBabiesandConserva tives) and took off with HER/HIS OWN show. How about that? Unfortunately she/he took off into the ratings dumper. About the only one she/he beats is her/his compadre on that station Keith Olbermanic.

Then there's 'No name' Schultz, the pompous and bellicose voice of progressive radio made 15 minute famous by his latest outrage defining himself. Oozing a brucine-like disposition he offers us this..
"I tell you what, if I lived in Massachusetts I'd try to vote 10 times. I don't know if they'd let me or not, but I'd try to. Yeah, that's right. I'd cheat to keep these bastards out. I would. 'Cause that's exactly what they are." Ahhhh The refreshing voice of progressive liberal civility and reason. Here's an update on lardbutt:
As Ratings Sink for TV Show, Ed Schultz Gets Shrill

"All men lead lives of quiet desperation, according to Thoreau. Suffice it to say the observation would not remain among Thoreau's best known unless there was truth attached.
Then there are men like Ed Schultz, exuding blustery angst from every pore and hardly aware of it."
Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jack-coleman/2009/04/25/ratings-sink-msnbc-show-ed-schultz-gets-shrill#ixzz0dRwOnbLt

One might observe that when he got bumped for the Commie understudy/law partner of the late Wild Bill Kuntsler, Ron Kuby...that he might have taken the hint that the end was near.

Who else of significance was there? Randi Rhodes
Leftwing Nova M Radio Folds; Randi Rhodes MIA

By P.J. Gladnick
Wed, 02/18/2009 - 09:57 ET

Alert Bill Press and the other liberals who want to re-institute the "Fairness Doctrine." The free market continues to be at work weeding out shows that most folks don't want to listen to. The latest casualty is Nova M radio which syndicated such shows as Randi Rhodes and Mike Malloy. The reports are now coming in fast and furious about the demise of Nova M so here is the latest from Brian Maloney of The Radio Equalizer:
Libtalk network Nova M Radio has been shut down, according to the attorney for Randi Rhodes, Robert V Gaulin of New York. This also brings Mike Malloy's syndicated program to an abrupt end as well, at least for now (update below: Malloy's camp is denying this will affect his show, All Access reports a new firm may assume this role).
Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2009/02/18/leftwing-nova-m-radio-folds-randi-rhodes-mia#ixzz0dRyOKsMz

When you consider that Hartmann is also MIA that about does in the First Annual Reunion of Air America Alumni, don't-cha-think?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
Let's break this down okay![/color]

Then there's the d*ke diva Rachel Maddow
When you need to resort to cheap homophobic references such as this, you immediate lose any credibility.

As for Dr. Maddow, she's light years down the road from most pundits.

And one other thing, you do realize that all the various font sizes and colors on your posts actually make them much harder to read?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM

918 posts, read 816,882 times
TC...You are EASY! I set you up and you walked right in and predictably opined as I note here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo
Let's break this down okay![/color]

Then there's the d*ke diva Rachel Maddow

Quote:
When you need to resort to cheap homophobic references such as this, you immediate lose any credibility.

As for Dr. Maddow, she's light years down the road from most pundits.

And one other thing, you do realize that all the various font sizes and colors on your posts actually make them much harder to read?
You see, what I was actually doing is taking up the progressive liberal mantle of big tent political correctness. Not wanting to be sexually offensive to liberals whilst referencing a lesbian or homosexual (whose right to existence I do NOT deny, by the way) I did that which I did. By inserting BOTH female/male references I believe I accomplished that. I had misgivings as I understand that you libs are always croached back in your shadowy corners ready to ponce upon anyone you perceive as being misoginistic or homophobic and so you did.

I shall admit to one weakness though regarding comments upon those of the in-between gender. That Franks entity from Massachusetts. I make an exception in his case and do lower myself to being personally degrading and insulting to him, toatlly distinct from being homophobic I may add. Why? He deserves it so. And besides...it's my right to free speech regardless of your perception/s. How you perceive what I compose here is YOUR problem not mine. I cannot control how you think and wouldn't if the option were offered me.

As to the various font sizes, if they offered a "size" option that would eliminate the problem I would indeed utilize such. I lift content from other sources, which I note, and once pasted in as content, there is no available way to standardize the text size.

Since colors are offered I like to, at times, use them to separate my inserted comments from material comments pasted in from other sources and for emphasis purposes utilize underlining, italicising and bold highlighting. Those, along with the Smiley icons are available, so why not use them?

The font size problem bothers me also, but as I said, if they had an option for size available all could be made uniform and small font eliminated. They also have a design option of a "default" text size, which would automatically reproduce any posted text with uniformity. That is a design discretion for ADMIN here to exercise and out of my control.

Each to his/her own would seem a good rule of tolerance, don't you agree?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:25 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Do enlighten me. What is a "Regular American"?
I was wondering that myself and then I realized that it's probably akin to the Sarah Palin version of " real Americans".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies