Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,759,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The irony is that those who "complain" about the wealthy are some of its biggest supporters... CEO's can't be rich if you don't buy their product (which you do), celebrities can't be rich if you don't reject the notion they deserved millions for saying a few lines (which liberals love), athletes can't be rich if you stop idolizing them, and business owners can't be rich if they don't take the risks and have public support behind them... its ironic that liberals "hate" these people and then go on to punish anyone BUT these people... it is ironic that 30% of the wealthy did not come from wealthy backgrounds and the liberals seek to kill them off so that they can save the other 70% who just "inherit" their money because the liberals love the Kennedy's, Rockfeller's, etc... its ironic... punishing success so that liberals can feel better about their own limited skills/talent/whatever...

this post reeks of ignorance but at least you admit 70% of the rich inherit their wealth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
inventor1... I can't even understand what you are trying to say... other countries doing better than America? Like what? As far as I know, America is at the top... .
this just shows you don't have a grasp on reality. sorry but it just does.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Don't throw stones at glass houses when you live in a glass house yourself..

You think the Kennedy's/Rockefeller's don't make "money" championing the causes of the poor? Its sad that you don't know how the business world operates... the best kind of business is one where the government pays you billions of dollars for you to "help" the poor... do you understand that they are ALL the same... Threaten to take away the Kennedy's wealth and you will see a different face... why are you so easily fooled and idolize an oligarchy? Who do you think is trying to stop the middle class from becoming the wealthy and insuring the wealthy their permanent tax breaks? Give you a clue... I mentioned them already...
ha....you can't even get a saying right and you expect people to respect your "knowledgeable" opinion

Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Back in 2003, I posted on another message board the following:
"Only 82 of the Forbes 400 wealthiest Americans inherited their money."
Therefore, I was right when I said that the majority of Americans don't inherit their wealth.

so, had is YOUR math?

what??????? are you arguing 82% is not a majority????

this post is indecipherable ????

Old 01-23-2010, 10:25 PM

639 posts, read 1,140,539 times
Give, give, give, give, give, give, give, give, give, give...public housing (a mess), medicaid (a mess), welfare (a mess)......how much do we all have to give before someone says ENOUGH!!!!! Stop blaming everyone else for the problems of the world. America has apologized enough for past indiscretions outside and inside of this country. We have tried to even the playing field. It is time for a little PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. I was raised with six other brothers and sisters, father worked three jobs, NOTHING was ever GIVEN to us. We never owned a home, we couldn't afford one. We stuffed seven kids and two parents into a three bedroom apartment. It wasn't easy but my mother taught us the difference between right and wrong and the importance of having a good work ethic (Dad was never around long enough to try and help raise us...he had to work three jobs to support the family). I'm tired of the excuses.....there are 21 year olds out there in 10 times the physical shape I am who choose to sleep till 5PM......then hook up with the boys......drink some 40s......smoke some weed.......and then bang as many women as they can to procreate children that they take no responsibility for. It is time irresponsible Americans be they white, black, hispanic, asian, or martians, take responsibility for the actions or inactions of their communities and stop blaming others. When great grandma, grandma, mom, and daughter are all on welfare we have failed. We have failed because we have taken personal responsibility away from people and created generations of people who don't know how to be productive. This is not limited to one race, ethnicity, religious group, or even gender.....it is systemic and when greater than 50% of the people realize that the water "carriers" will allow them to "drink" the water then we are in trouble. Look at California for an example of the producers fleeing he state in RECORD numbers to get away from the taxation to support the "downtrodden". I open my wallet whenever asked...contributed to the haitian cause via the Red Cross...dropped off food, am a Big Brother, etc, etc, etc....but we have to do something different than what we are currently doing........we are FAILING.......redistribution of wealth does nothing but push the productive people to STOP being productive. If we could find a way to penalize specific big businesses (ie: big banks) that took advantage of people, and provide a way to do so WITHOUT the cost being passed on to the consumer (AKA us...the little people) then I'm all for it...don't hold your breath though.....

Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? Let's see you do the math. Here's the info:

Given that info, what percentage inherited more than $1 million?

you again ignored the entire first half of the comment. try re-reading it, it may surprise you.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,308,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
what??????? are you arguing 82% is not a majority????

this post is indecipherable ????
psst, I think it reads 82/400, not 82%

Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,260,642 times
Quote:
That is entirely untrue. In 4 year schools the general ed classes are spread over 4 years. Not concentrated in the first 2. Your major classes are also spread over 4 years. In fact you could not complete all major requirements in most majors in 2 years due to prerequisite requirements and when courses are offered.

Another post that is out of touch with what actually happens and how things work.
No..not out of touch. You get your AA and transfer.
There's even the list of transferable classes.

And the first two years is BEFORE you declare your major.

Here's an example from my city

UT's transfer guide for Austin Community College students...
2009-2010 ACC/UT Engineering Transfer Guide (http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/acc/current/engineering.html - broken link)

Here's the page for all the colleges at UT for transfer students:
ACC/UT Transfer Guides

That exists in all states. I did it in Florida..2 years at CC and I transferred to the University to finish to get my degree in CS (Engineering).

Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM

88,710 posts, read 44,482,974 times
Quote:
way to ignore the entire first part of the post
In what universe does "more than $50 million" not include anything above that amount, to infinity?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Give, give, give, give, give, give, give, give, give, give...public housing (a mess), medicaid (a mess), welfare (a mess)......how much do we all have to give before someone says ENOUGH!!!!! Stop blaming everyone else for the problems of the world. America has apologized enough for past indiscretions outside and inside of this country. We have tried to even the playing field. It is time for a little PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. I was raised with six other brothers and sisters, father worked three jobs, NOTHING was ever GIVEN to us. We never owned a home, we couldn't afford one. We stuffed seven kids and two parents into a three bedroom apartment. It wasn't easy but my mother taught us the difference between right and wrong and the importance of having a good work ethic (Dad was never around long enough to try and help raise us...he had to work three jobs to support the family). I'm tired of the excuses.....there are 21 year olds out there in 10 times the physical shape I am who choose to sleep till 5PM......then hook up with the boys......drink some 40s......smoke some weed.......and then bang as many women as they can to procreate children that they take no responsibility for. It is time irresponsible Americans be they white, black, hispanic, asian, or martians, take responsibility for the actions or inactions of their communities and stop blaming others. When great grandma, grandma, mom, and daughter are all on welfare we have failed. We have failed because we have taken personal responsibility away from people and created generations of people who don't know how to be productive. This is not limited to one race, ethnicity, religious group, or even gender.....it is systemic and when greater than 50% of the people realize that the water "carriers" will allow them to "drink" the water then we are in trouble. Look at California for an example of the producers fleeing he state in RECORD numbers to get away from the taxation to support the "downtrodden". I open my wallet whenever asked...contributed to the haitian cause via the Red Cross...dropped off food, am a Big Brother, etc, etc, etc....but we have to do something different than what we are currently doing........we are FAILING.......redistribution of wealth does nothing but push the productive people to STOP being productive. If we could find a way to penalize specific big businesses (ie: big banks) that took advantage of people, and provide a way to do so WITHOUT the cost being passed on to the consumer (AKA us...the little people) then I'm all for it...don't hold your breath though.....

you sound upset....do you need to talk about this?

You need to look at these issues more holistically and realize that many people bust their a$$ and still can't make it. reality is you were robbed of a father because of the same thing....... But perhaps your parents should not have had 7 kids if we want to talk about being responsible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies