Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times

Advertisements

I read this very interesting article in the Washington Post about the problems many military veterans have finding work after they get out. Originally before I read the article I was just shocked that there was such high unemployment among veterans and thought we needed to make some laws to force employers to give preferences to vets. But now after reading the linked article, I am not so sure.

Wanted: Heroes | The Washington Post

While I understand the people highlighted in the article are just a select few of the unemployed or underemployed vets, none of the vets highlighted came off too well and it showed me that just because someone was in the army does not mean that they have much to offer the workforce.

So do you think that the private sector employees should give preference to vets in hiring decisions much like the Federal Government does? Why do you think so many vets are unemployed or employed but struggling in the world of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Obviously I'm against all "preferences" but the article is correct, it's not simple when it comes to vet's. People are not all getting out of the service with skills, leadership abilities and a strong work ethic (ie; HEROS), they are getting out with issues and attitudes. Rewinding even farther there are many GOING IN with those problems and they just get magnified once they get out.

It's almost like the problem with college, what used to be more selective and elite is now a catch all for anyone who doesn't have other options. The results are almost the same as well.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
If employers want to enact special programs to hire vets over non-vets, i don't see any issues with that.

Should the government FORCE employers to do that? No...

However, the private sector should be able to enact as much Affirmative Action as they like. Hell, they already do anyway.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:34 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So do you think that the private sector employees should give preference to vets in hiring decisions much like the Federal Government does? Why do you think so many vets are unemployed or employed but struggling in the world of work?

Nope, affirmative action is insulting and demeaning.

I believe in equal opportunity, not equal outcome. Most of these affirmative action programs seem to have the latter in mind. This whole belief that everybody should be equal in every possible way more often than not leads to the top being dragged down to the lowest level, in the name of equality.

I have met veterans who are dumb as doorknob, however, overwhelming majority of the veterans I have met are incredibly intelligent, driven, career and goal oriented. Plus, let's face it. Let's be very honest, many Veterans when they get out of the service will not be able to find decent works due to a wide range of reasons. Many of them may struggle to find work regardless if they serve or not.

Take a look at how many 18-25 year olds who have not served are out of work, so why would you think that by serving you are now better than them and that jobs will be begging you to come work for them.

According to this article written by a Veteran Marine,

"Some veterans get out and become very successful. In many cases the reason is simple. These people most likely would have been a success regardless if they served or not. Having served only makes them that much stronger in the civilian work field. .. This is why you have veterans who are homeless and veterans who are millionaires. Remember, it is not always the military that decides our future"

Life after leaving the Marines - Future Jarheads - Joining The Marines - Advice and Info About Enlisting Into the Marines - Marine Poolees - Marine Recruiting - Marines

My brother has been out of the Marine Corps for over 10 something years. He finished his college education (UC Berkeley) He has his own design studio and is very successful. He worked hard as a Force Recon Marine, he worked hard as a civilian in civilian world. There is no easy way out in life.

I am VERY pro military, but I don't believe they should be given special treatment. If they are qualified, they are qualified, if they are not, they are not. These are a group of very proud individuals with distinguish personality. I would like to believe they want to keep it that way.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,417,923 times
First off, the private sector should have the freedom to hire whomever they feel the best candidate is for a position without any government input whatsoever.
Secondly, vets should actually be ruled out of some public jobs such as police and fire due to the violent dispositions many seem to have.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:45 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If employers want to enact special programs to hire vets over non-vets, i don't see any issues with that.
There are a lot of private businesses that give priority to vets anyway. They're considered more mature and team than oriented kids out of college, and a lot of employers genuinely appreciate the sacrifice that vets have made. A lot of Civil Service jobs also give vets priority.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:52 PM

55 posts, read 41,486 times
Believe me. I totally agree with some veterans being dumb ass doorknobs. There is so many resources to aid in professional development however. Veterans are also immediately trained in unit cohesiveness, unquestionable respect toward superiors, leadership driven in all service members since day one as a recruit, and punctuality that is probably unmatchable.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
No, I don't think the private sector should be forced to give preference to veterans. If a company chooses to do that (and admits it publicly) then that's up to them.

I don't have a problem with the federal government having hiring preferences; a lot of vets end up there because the transition is often easier because of programs already in place.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM

55 posts, read 41,486 times
What kind of organization would want that someone with that was ambitiously driven, mission oriented, and used to being held to a higher standards of excellence.

The only problem that many Vets face is college training. Some that serve simply do not have the time. That would probably be the only con I could see.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Since most young veterans are disabled ADA is a good program to pursue
And was created by a Vietnam vet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies