Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legal?
I support medical marijuana, and less penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana 16 13.11%
I support the legalization of marijuana 99 81.15%
I do not support this bill or the legalization of marijuana 7 5.74%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:20 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

For what, the palm trees or the weed?
Both....of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
im not from VA however i would like to say i strongly recommend the legalization of marijuana! it would be smart on so many levels as most of the people on this thread have already covered. it just ridicolous to lock up people for using a natrual plant given by God see Genises 1:9.

i have also heard of people being denied medical coverage with serious illnesses because of marijuana.(some have even had a prescription) and was still denied because of national laws. the person died as a result. very sad story.

the plant is harmless and very resourceful. could create jobs, give people piece of mind, save the gov't $ by taking away from the war on drugs, tax money used for prison time, could focus more on serious crimes. it justs makes sense on so many different levels. not to mention the medical benefit and the more that could be discovered if they had a chance to test it more thoroughly without breaking the law. most of the people that use cannibus are just average people that like to come home and relax at the end of a long day. is that so bad. i know there will always be those few that do stupid things but really the people use it now anyway. only differance they wont go to jail.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Prohibition is a stupid idea, same with Marijuana as it is was with Alcohol.

Legalize, decriminalize, whatever, just stop sending people to jail
, for something that 60% of Americans have at least tried.
Exactly!

Now if only we could get Congress to pass laws where federal agents CANNOT prosecute anyone who uses marijuana in a state that allows medical marijuana or has decriminalized marijuana.

Someone tried to get medical marijuana on the ballot here and our stupid attorney general turned it down because he was worried about federal agents coming to the state and prosecuting people. Recently there was an announcement that the feds won't go after people who live in states that have medical marijuana laws.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,836 times
Well for those who have been following this issue - BOTH bills HB1134 and HB1136 have been "tabled" (or laid on the table for further discussion at a later time) In other words - it was shot down before it even had a chance to get to the house.

"At a later time" translates to one calendar year.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
I am all for medical marijuana, but decriminalization is an absolute joke. It's the worst of both worlds.

So it's ok to possess and use cannabis, but not ok to cultivate or sell it? So where the hell are we supposed to get it from? It sends mixed messages and makes absolutely no sense at all. They need to just legalize it completely and stop pissing around with this half-way BS.
Way to go. Cut to the chase. Too bad it's not that simple. Anyone who has seen me on here knows I am definitely for legalization. Reading the posts on this thread (as well as the poll) gives me hope that we will possibly see this in the next decade or two. (It would be nice to see several other things happen as well) This should already be done. It's ridiculous to STILL be wasting time and especially... MONEY... on a no-brainer. Get it done already!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,395 times
So....what ever happened....did these proposals ever come off the table and make it to the ballot? Being born in VA...I am curious---

Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 PM

374 posts, read 812,442 times
The stereotype is that everyone out in the sticks would be against legalization/decriminalization, because they're all supposed to be Bible thumpers or something. But I don't find that to be the case. Where do think most of this stuff is grown? I think Virginia is kind of like where I'm from. The moonshiners have turned into weed growers.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,395 times
Just because one is countryfied does not mean they are ignorant or uninformed. There are many well rounded openminded although conservative individuals who live in this part of the country. The medicinal benefits of marijuana are very difficult of dispute. The synthetic pharmaceutical equivalant has been perscribed for years by doctors in the form of marinal....as well as in glucoma eye drops. IMO...it is time for the feds to let the states and their citizens decide without interference what is best....without fear of persicution. Follow the money. Let growers come out of the closet and incorporate...and be taxed like alcohol and tobacco...and grease political palms like all successful big business and big pharma does....and things will change. Allow it to be grown here and create jobs...revenue...and less trafficking from out of the country as well as freeing much needed space in prisons for real criminals.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Way to go. Cut to the chase. Too bad it's not that simple. Anyone who has seen me on here knows I am definitely for legalization. Reading the posts on this thread (as well as the poll) gives me hope that we will possibly see this in the next decade or two. (It would be nice to see several other things happen as well) This should already be done. It's ridiculous to STILL be wasting time and especially... MONEY... on a no-brainer. Get it done already!

sooner the better..!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Won't be long til there's gonna be a helluva lot of senior citizens with nothin to do. Congress is gonna have to do something to keep them settled down. Probably the only way anyone's going to be able to handle a matured Tea Party...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies