Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times

Advertisements

wow, there are some sad, black hearted people on this thread. let's face it, most of the issues in this country were caused by our own filthy greed. people making $50K a year buying McMansions w/ exorbitant loans, greedy companies providing these loans, and just overall mismanagement of money that just wasn't there. Haiti has a LOT of it's own issues that was also caused from w/in, issues that made this tragedy worse, but seriously, this was a massive earthquake, the largest that country has felt in decades, that struck the capital city. if an earthquake of that size had struck any American capital, esp. a highly populated one that doesn't get a ton of earthquakes, there would likely be a high level of destruction and chaos too. and, like w/ Katrina and 9/11 and most of the other major disasters that have occurred here, Americans would have come forward to help out. glad the black hearted souls on this thread are in the minority and there are people willing to help others worse off than themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
glad the black hearted souls on this thread are in the minority and there are people willing to help others worse off than themselves.
So if someone chooses not to send money to Haiti, he's "black-hearted"?

There's billions of people who are worse off than we are, but most of them have benefited from U.S. aid already - either directly or indirectly. Is there any limit to the amount of money we're expected to give?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We just got home from a family dinner out and flipped on the tv and see Reese Witherspoon answering the phones.

Holy hell...if this country would band together on our own issues this much, we, as a nation, would be unstoppable!!!

I don't get it...people come on here actually criticizing people for wanting to help in a disaster....no matter what side you choose people are being saved and will be saved from charity....and for someone to say someone is not doing what you want when giving their aid and donations because of an opinion after you have a family dinner when there are people that dont have food to eat is really selfish and kinda makes "me" wanna puke.....as poor as the people might have been in New Orleans....they cant compare to the poverty seen in Haiti before the earthquake..many more people have died in this earthquake than in Katrina...so if you are looking at the two disasters and basing the help and donations off of numbers and statistics....i think the amount of help is comparable to the 2 tragedies at hand.....Katrina killed about 3000 and the earthquake has killed 100,000 plus...and the structural damage of each place is on different levels too....so if you're saying just because someone is American that they deserve the help more than someone else who is dying in front of you then that is pretty heartless

Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Are these celebrities donating any of their own cash or just their time? I flipped over to the show and had to quickly change the channel back because of the warbling singing. That's where the "song stylist" makes her voice go up and down the musical scale trying to find the right note over and over again. Then there was the murdering of the Simon and Garfunkle classic "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". Right song for the occasion, but they butchered that classic. Sorry, but I'll save my charitable donation for my hometown charities. I don't donate cash. I donate food and supplies like blankets and clothing.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:16 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Were you around during the "Live Aid" concert? It was such a futile waste of money that it was a complete failure other than to set a historical concert record. Food didn't get to the people who needed it the most and usually ended up in the black market or in the local warlord's troop supplies. Haiti is no different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I don't get it...people come on here actually criticizing people for wanting to help in a disaster....no matter what side you choose people are being saved and will be saved from charity....and for someone to say someone is not doing what you want when giving their aid and donations because of an opinion after you have a family dinner when there are people that dont have food to eat is really selfish and kinda makes "me" wanna puke.....as poor as the people might have been in New Orleans....they cant compare to the poverty seen in Haiti before the earthquake..many more people have died in this earthquake than in Katrina...so if you are looking at the two disasters and basing the help and donations off of numbers and statistics....i think the amount of help is comparable to the 2 tragedies at hand.....Katrina killed about 3000 and the earthquake has killed 100,000 plus...and the structural damage of each place is on different levels too....so if you're saying just because someone is American that they deserve the help more than someone else who is dying in front of you then that is pretty heartless

Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Tell me, are any of you people who are critical of helping in Haiti at all concerned about the 40,000 Americans who are still there and unaccounted for? From the link below: "Meanwhile, the U.S. ambassador to Haiti said the embassy is doing its best but has no way to check on the 40,000 or more Americans estimated to be in the country. The State Department says it's been in contact with only about 1,000 U.S. citizens. About 450 Americans have been evacuated since Tuesday's disaster." The churches in the area where I live send mission groups, including students, down to Haiti all the time and have been for years. Even my doctor and dentist go there to work on their 'vacations.'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34878969...ti_earthquake/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Are these celebrities donating any of their own cash or just their time?
Yes, they are donating their own money. Many of them on the telethon have donate a million each.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-23-2010 at 01:18 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Were you around during the "Live Aid" concert? It was such a futile waste of money that it was a complete failure other than to set a historical concert record. Food didn't get to the people who needed it the most and usually ended up in the black market or in the local warlord's troop supplies. Haiti is no different.

no matter what happens with your money ..if u in your heart dont give into the pulling you feel on your heart when you see people dying and dont try to do what you can do then you are not a Godly person i believe...Jesus wouldn't have sat there questioning how to help someone ..he just did it because he had the power and even though the money sometimes gets misplaced ect...alot of that does go to people in need...so in your theory that would mean that we should donate more then if the money isnt getting there because some of it will in your theory and some of it wont so lets help until the amount needed gets there and the people who cheat us will get theirs in the end when they face God...it's like me not giving a bum 5 bucks because "people" tell me he'll just use it to drink...well when God pulls on my heart to help ...I'm going to do what he says ...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So if someone chooses not to send money to Haiti, he's "black-hearted"?
there are no excuses ...when you do have some extra money (money to rent a movie, money to go out on a date..ect..) you definatly should send money when there is a disaster like this one....and if you really have a good heart you should maybe cut back on your own food to be able to send more money...it's for people who have seen worse than any of us in America...even the poor people like me ....I am one of the people you are speaking of that is struggling in this economy in the U.S. but i took the little i had left over from my unemployment check to give to these people who had nothing and their family members were crushed this weeks and burned in mass graves over there..at least here when my family member dies there will be record of it...and i at least have a roof over my head even without having a job or any kind of bank account and im 31 years old...i am blessed to be where im at compared to those people over there because i went through Hurricane Andrew and that was a disaster too but nothing like what Haiti is seeing....we didnt see the kind of devistation and hacking off of limbs to save peoples's lives without anestithsia...we all should feel grateful even in bad times in America because alot of places are far worse

Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 AM

37,126 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
there are no excuses ...when you do have some extra money (money to rent a movie, money to go out on a date..ect..) you definatly should send money when there is a disaster like this one....and if you really have a good heart you should maybe cut back on your own food to be able to send more money...it's for people who have seen worse than any of us in America...even the poor people like me ....I am one of the people you are speaking of that is struggling in this economy in the U.S. but i took the little i had left over from my unemployment check to give to these people who had nothing and their family members were crushed this weeks and burned in mass graves over there..at least here when my family member dies there will be record of it...and i at least have a roof over my head even without having a job or any kind of bank account and im 31 years old...i am blessed to be where im at compared to those people over there because i went through Hurricane Andrew and that was a disaster too but nothing like what Haiti is seeing....we didnt see the kind of devistation and hacking off of limbs to save peoples's lives without anestithsia...we all should feel grateful even in bad times in America because alot of places are far worse
That's swell. I did make a small donation because someone I know was collecting...but since there are disasters and people worse off ALL THE TIME I will just continue to make regular donations to my charities of choice and be ok with that decision. I won't cut back on food for my family to do so however because, listen up, THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH MONEY TO FIX EVERYTHING.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's swell. I did make a small donation because someone I know was collecting...but since there are disasters and people worse off ALL THE TIME I will just continue to make regular donations to my charities of choice and be ok with that decision. I won't cut back on food for my family to do so however because, listen up, THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH MONEY TO FIX EVERYTHING.
the part about cutting back on food...i knew that the 10 dollars i had left after i payed my bills would go to food or toothpaste or something for me this past week but i donated it instead because i can go without for this week...my point isnt to people like you who give ....its is more to say that if you are criticizing this event tonite and dont think we should give because we have too many problems here then i am telling my story because i am one of the lower class of people in America and if i can donate what i can then they should be able to also without all the questioning of it...really its a matter of money and not heart for those kind of people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies