Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:14 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I think it's like sports. If you are rooting for the team that's a winner, you're happy. If you aren't, you take great pleasure in a win by the underdog. Meanwhile, the team that was doing the happy dance in the end zone, when they were ahead can't believe they lost to the last place team. They start to break down and they whine. The "star players" accuse the coach of changing the plays. The coach, afraid of losing his job leaks to the press that if the star quarterback and wide receiver weren't out so late the night before the game and if they paid attention a little more in practice, maybe they would have won. Then all of a sudden you find out the Speaker of the, uh I mean, the star running back has been playing with a brain injury and that's why they are probably erratic. A couple of demoralized players, retire "to spend more time with their families" and then they unretire two weeks later to take another job. Somebody gets arrested or accused of some crime. Fans speculate and analyze.

Sports/Politics - same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 AM

654 posts, read 465,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I know this will come off as hateful, but your analogy is wrong.

When did sports define boundaries that we drop atomic bombs on?

Again, I am not being hateful, but just stating simple facts.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:20 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Hit the nail on the head. Frustrates me when hardcore sports fans say things like "we won" or "we should have done this" or "we'll get them next year". What's this We stuff? Were you on the field playing the game? Were you working on the team staff? No? Then cut out the we stuff cause you didn't do anything to make your team win or lose. They get emotionally caught up in the team to the point that it's been measured that men's testostarone (sp?) levels go up when their team wins and goes down when they lose. I wonder if the political candidates get such a spike after winning elections or pushing through a bill? It might explain the infidelity of members of Congress which seem to mirror the infidelity of prosports players.
Quote:
I think it's like sports. If you are rooting for the team that's a winner, you're happy. If you aren't, you take great pleasure in a win by the underdog. Meanwhile, the team that was doing the happy dance in the end zone, when they were ahead can't believe they lost to the last place team. They start to break down and they whine. The "star players" accuse the coach of changing the plays. The coach, afraid of losing his job leaks to the press that if the star quarterback and wide receiver weren't out so late the night before the game and if they paid attention a little more in practice, maybe they would have won. Then all of a sudden you find out the Speaker of the, uh I mean, the star running back has been playing with a brain injury and that's why they are probably erratic. A couple of demoralized players, retire "to spend more time with their families" and then they unretire two weeks later to take another job. Somebody gets arrested or accused of some crime. Fans speculate and analyze.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 AM

Blame it on sports. That's cool.

Blame everything on sports.

That is very nice.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-23-2010 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: language

Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 AM

Brown didn't lose, Coakley lost.

Pull us out. Democrats hate me for being a peace loving libertarian, but pull us out in 16 months.

Also downsize our embassy.

Please.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
We need to get rid of all the career polititions but I doubt that will happen. The Democrats vote for the same guy no matter how bad he is until he is carried out in a body bag.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
We The People Stimulus Package

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

Open Letter to President Obama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxDwB...eature=channel

Old 01-23-2010, 06:33 AM

I think we need to blame sports.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hit the nail on the head. Frustrates me when hardcore sports fans say things like "we won" or "we should have done this" or "we'll get them next year". What's this We stuff? Were you on the field playing the game? Were you working on the team staff? No? Then cut out the we stuff cause you didn't do anything to make your team win or lose. They get emotionally caught up in the team to the point that it's been measured that men's testostarone (sp?) levels go up when their team wins and goes down when they lose. I wonder if the political candidates get such a spike after winning elections or pushing through a bill? It might explain the infidelity of members of Congress which seem to mirror the infidelity of prosports players.
I have to admit I enjoy it. I don't spend as much money as the candidates. I don't put any miles on my vehicle. I don't have to suck up to people I don't like. If I yell, "YOU LIE!" everyone else is so busy yelling the same thing, no one notices. And most important, I don't get dirty sitting at my PC. What's not to like about the sport of politics?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
I have to admit I enjoy it. I don't spend as much money as the candidates. I don't put any miles on my vehicle. I don't have to suck up to people I don't like. If I yell, "YOU LIE!" everyone else is so busy yelling the same thing, no one notices. And most important, I don't get dirty sitting at my PC. What's not to like about the sport of politics?
And it's especially fun to watch all the liberal infighting going on since the Coakley loss. A bunch of egotistical big-heads got pulled back down to earth. It may be petty to take enjoyment in watching it, but it is a fun spectator sport. Where's the popcorn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies