Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Higher than Reagan, about the same as Clinton.

Poll: 51 percent approve of Obama after first year - CNN.com

Just depends on what poll to listen to. But funny cause i recently heard on tv and online from CBS LATEST NEWS POLLS FOR OBAMA AS OF Jan, 22, 2010. President Obama has dropped down to a New low of 46% who approve and 41% disapprove of the job Obama is doing. This accoding to the latest National Poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Just depends on what poll to listen to. But funny cause i recently heard on tv and online from CBS LATEST NEWS POLLS FOR OBAMA AS OF Jan, 22, 2010. President Obama has dropped down to a New low of 46% who approve and 41% disapprove of the job Obama is doing. This accoding to the latest National Poll.
All the polls are in the same general range.

As Ive stated, Im not really concerned at this point.

However we MUST begin to see improvement in the economy by the end of 2010.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
All the polls are in the same general range.

As Ive stated, Im not really concerned at this point.

However we MUST begin to see improvement in the economy by the end of 2010.
Don't hold your breath. A "double dip" is likely.

The people are removing their rose colored glasses and realizing their Emporer has no clothes. Meanwhile raising the debt ceiling to just pay interest on our TRILLIONS in debt finally is getting the attention of the average American.

A real unemployment level of approx. 20% is pretty hard to ignore. States are finding it difficult to meet their payroll and pension obligations and the funding for commitment to "social entitlement programs" is severly threatened by the decrease of revenue in state income and property taxes.

Obama has launched a personal war against the banks (to be paid for by the consumer) in order to give the FED more power and another slush fund. The Obama administration wants to throw more good money after bad with Spendulus II.

How do you see the economy improving in the next 11 mos. ?

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-23-2010 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Don't hold your breath. A "double dip" is likely.
For all our sakes, I hope that isnt the case.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Actually the polls for "likability" are still quite high for Obama.
What part of my post did you not read?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Quote:
Yes, its preferable for this to happen in the 1st year than in the 4th year.

What opponents clearly don't see is the President's possible big rise should we see only a small improvement in the economy.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/obama-economic-plan.jpg (broken link)23 January 2010 is the second year.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Would you be happy if only 51 percent of the people that you represent at your job found you favorable?

Personally, i'd be mortified to know that I was so unliked.
As I'm sure you are aware, the presidency is no normal job. Fixing a collapsed economy and two poorly-managed wars is not on a lot of job descriptions.

So, yes, still having a plurality (slim as it may be) in support after the first year is a very good sign - too high and there's only down to go. It's just frustrating to a lot of us independent that you conservatives who bash and bash Obama for poll ratings would probably have defended Reagan for the same.

There's just not a lot of substance to the argument.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
23 January 2010 is the second year.
You are clearly not familiar with Keynesian economics or the fact that every single developed nation in the world did the exact same thing and their economies are in full recovery. Since the collapse started with our economy, it hit us hardest and thus recovery will be slowest, but the principle is well used worldwide. Nothing really original in what Obama's doing.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:15 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
As I'm sure you are aware, the presidency is no normal job. Fixing a collapsed economy and two poorly-managed wars is not on a lot of job descriptions.

So, yes, still having a plurality (slim as it may be) in support after the first year is a very good sign - too high and there's only down to go. It's just frustrating to a lot of us independent that you conservatives who bash and bash Obama for poll ratings would probably have defended Reagan for the same.

There's just not a lot of substance to the argument.

The election of Brown was due to Obama not concentrating on the economy and the war, but on Obama's healthcare plan and wasteful government spending.

Obama was elected to fix the economy. The Obama stimulus package was nothing more than political payoffs and pork. Un Employment is 10%.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The election of Brown was due to Obama not concentrating on the economy and the war, but on Obama's healthcare plan and wasteful government spending.

Obama was elected to fix the economy. The Obama stimulus package was nothing more than political payoffs and pork. Un Employment is 10%.
Unemployment is one word, which I'm sure you know from your extensive research on the subject.

So, pulling a collapsed economy back from the brink of depression and reducing job losses every single month by tens of thousands (and even having positive job growth in November) is not enough for a year? The experts have a pretty unified consensus that the stimulus had a significant impact on the economy and will continue to - kept a lot of state and local governments from collapsing and gave tons of tax cuts.

What had Reagan, the icon of conservatism, accomplished in his first year dealing with a collapsed economy? Don't know? Okay. I'll tell you: over 11% unemployment.

It would remain above 10% the first 3 years of Reagan's presidency. So, I guess the end result is simply that you are judging economic recovery prematurely.

Btw - a swing back to more balance between Reps and Dems is destined to happen if history is any indication. Expect big pick-ups in November for Republicans. Just the way politics works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies