Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:25 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

Yup, Maher is a good one. I just hadn't seen a recent clip. I can't read it all, so I rely on synopses and then go to the article/clip/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 08:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Media matters is an attack dog of conservative news stations/hosts/stories that does the attacking in a modest and professional manner, much more professional than thinkprogress does.

No different than logging onto mediaresearchcenter or newsbusters to see conservative attack dogs on the liberal bias by stations/hosts/stories.

My opinion is that all media is biased and that true reporting is a myth. Maybe true reporting by individuals is possible, but for an entire newspaper, tv or radio station to be unbiased is mythical.

It does seem to me that more stations have more left tilt to them, which seems to be proven by how upset liberals get at the mention of Fox News. How dare a channel not be tilted to the left!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:50 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I sure hope some other folks have good examples of the news and editorials.

That's it for now from me!
Look, this is what FOX"s Chris Wallace said when someone asked him why FOX seems so conservative compared to other media outlets. Chris said that at the end of the day, after the news has been reported, people want to hear and talk about what other people have to say about the news. That's why we see the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity, Paula Zahn (who has turned sharply left lately), Olbermann, Matthews, etc. People want to discuss the news and they want to hear opinions. There is nothign wrong with that. However, Chris said that it is very important that we all look at ALL sources of news info--from Media Matters (funded by liberals) to the Wall Street Journal (pro-republican). He said the real problem is when people just flock to one source for news and read only what they pick and choose. He said we need to read from all sources and from both sides. Once you start picking and choosing your news, you become ill informed.

So, subscribe to the New York Times, but watch FOX, etc.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:07 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Media matters is an attack dog of conservative news stations/hosts/stories that does the attacking in a modest and professional manner, much more professional than thinkprogress does.

No different than logging onto mediaresearchcenter or newsbusters to see conservative attack dogs on the liberal bias by stations/hosts/stories.

My opinion is that all media is biased and that true reporting is a myth. Maybe true reporting by individuals is possible, but for an entire newspaper, tv or radio station to be unbiased is mythical.

It does seem to me that more stations have more left tilt to them, which seems to be proven by how upset liberals get at the mention of Fox News. How dare a channel not be tilted to the left!

Yes, how dare they!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:47 AM

203 posts, read 162,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
And Thursday, Ann Coulter appeared on "Hannity and Colmes" and offered some insight about how she sees the conservative wing of the Republican party. She stated that the polls are inaccurate, and that support is strong for the President, the war on terror, and in particular, Iraq.

Ms. Coutler's statements differ widely from other claims?

Does anyone have counterclaims? Or can anyone find supportive data for Ms. Coulter's claims.
Ms. Coulter is as extreme right as anyone is far left. She does not stand for what true conservatives do. If I were you, I would not listen to anything she or Media Matters puts out. Stay away from extremes and find the center. If everyone started at center, we would all be closer to the truth.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
Ms. Coulter is as extreme right as anyone is far left. She does not stand for what true conservatives do. If I were you, I would not listen to anything she or Media Matters puts out. Stay away from extremes and find the center. If everyone started at center, we would all be closer to the truth.
But Southpoint, you brought up a good point. . . People will readily agree that Ms. Coulter is far-right however they will not agree that sources such as Media Matters is far-left, and extremely biased! There have been posters recently defending them as a legitimate news source! It goes back the other thread you initiated today!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:53 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Viacom, Disney, Universal, News Corp all tilt right -either in agenda (FOX, Disney to a lesser extent) or in corporate interest (Viacom, Universal).

Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 AM

I don't believe many have mentioned Media Matters, but I certainly have. I don't believe I described their bias, but referenced Mr. O'Reilly's insinuation that Media Matters is controlled by Mr. Soros.

So, distortion personified, won't work here--just the truth, nothing but the truth from the fair and balanced.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:59 AM

Joe, since you seem to have a handle on who is who in the media, can you enlighten me on the stations owned by these conglomerates?

Viacom
Disney
Universal
News Corp

Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Viacom, Disney, Universal, News Corp all tilt right -either in agenda (FOX, Disney to a lesser extent) or in corporate interest (Viacom, Universal).

Old 05-26-2007, 10:19 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Viacom owns CBS (TV and radio) and many popular cable networks, among other things.

News Corp owns Fox, DirectTV, The NY Post (and other papers) among other things.

Universal is actually now NBC Universal, part of GE.

Disney owns ABC, ESPN among other outlets.

Time Warner also owns a lot of media.

These are the biggies. others like Clear Channel own a majority of the radio stations in America's largest TV markets (though they recently dumped a lot of smaller market stations, they still own 100's and kept the ones in the bigger markets).

Media consolidation = more corporate control over more outlets

Add a da$h of department consolidation - moving news into entertainment or other very bottom-line oriented programming and you get even less investitigative journalism and diversity in coverage

and more lazy reporting, including taking government talking points and simply restating them instead of researching the accuracy of them.

You get more ratings influenced stories.

24 hour news still means only one story or two is covered.

Anna Nicole.

Scott Peterson

Imus.

Any blonde that goes missing anywhere.

Anything that involves sex.

What you get less of? issues that involve more than a soundbyte.

...issues that really affect the American people, but are involved and complex and take time and resources to cover.

...Couple that with the blatently appalling non-roll the media played at critical times, like leading up to the war....

Some media, like the Wa Post have even stated their poor performance (though still have been negligent afte), but it's too little too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies