Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
Acutally, it seems like ONLY the conservative posts are being cut. Hmmmmm.......I wonder why?
Quit while you're ahead, or end up in banned camp. Mods here are pretty fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 05:10 PM

203 posts, read 162,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I thought earlier you said you were and are a centrist and liked lemonade.

But if you want to be right, nothing wrong with changing your mind.
Actually, I like to listen to ALL sides of the media, but then go to the center of their info to start making my decision on what is factual. As far as being a conservative...I am. If you broke the conservative side into 3 sections being.....baseline conservative....hardline conservative.....wacko extremo conservative....I would be the baseline conservative. I will vote democrat sometimes or republican other times. I have core conservative values, but understand all sides have good points. Unfortunately, the media will only spew out info that helps their agenda.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Deny, then attack is exactly what O'reilly (and Rush, Hannity among others) do.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:52 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Deny, then attack is exactly what O'reilly (and Rush, Hannity among others) do.
And Paula Zahn, Olbermann, Matthews, Maher, etc...and the list goes on. Dude, they are COMMENTATORS, not Journalists. They can do what they want. It's opinionated TV and that's what people want to see at the end of the day after watching the news. Been like that for years, just that now people are paying attention.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't know that those are facts. Here's an article saying it isn't fact, and I do receive Media Matters updates. They deny receiving Soros funds, directly, and it may be that they receive funds indirectly.
FOX News receives funds from George Soros indirectly. Two of their advertisers are TV Guide and Expedia.com. If George Soros has ever used either of those services, FOX News is cynically and hypocritically dependent upon him. If any of his own employees or the employees of any of the groups he supports has ever used either of those services, the very same thing is true. FOX News is plainly TAINTED by George Soros money. Someone should make up a chart to show just how widespread this unreported scandal really is...

Old 05-26-2007, 06:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Well, saganista, during my working career, I received money from George Soros indirectly, and I won't hang my head in shame. We needed it; we took it; we used it; and we saved a few lives in the process.

It was called, "harm reduction" and the federal government wouldn't fund it! Soros did!

And imagine if a chart was made of who gave money to whom; or who used whose services. We'd need the entire Amazon to compile it. But I think that was already destroyed.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
It was called, "harm reduction" and the federal government wouldn't fund it! Soros did!
Well, a pat on the back for that! Apparently some are still convinced that mass incarcerations and the muttering of mystical incantations such as Just Say No are the proper way to go. What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to get a different result?

Old 05-26-2007, 06:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
What people need to consider when we're talking about the major news networks is that they're businesses whose main goal is to make a profit. FoxNews is the worst in terms of self promotion and presenting news as entertainment but all of the networks of guilty of it. The problem with a 24 hour news channel is that there really isn't a major news event happening around the clock so they have to fill in the extra space with something else. What they generally do is fill that space with commentary and of course alot of sensationalism. Car chases, the latest on Britney Spears, etc. are not particularly important in our society when you consider all of the serious issues that we face but all of the news organizations will exaggerate the importance of these events because they're trying to attract viewers. I'm afraid that alot of the problem is due to the American public who would rather hear about Britney's shaved head than listen to an analysis of Iran's nuclear threat or the return to an authoritarian state in Russia.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Well, we know how Just Say No works; just like Abstinence Only works.

But no pats on my back, but pats and recognition to those with the gumption in some of the state and local governments to take on issues that the feds won't touch, and individual donors like Soros make possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, a pat on the back for that! Apparently some are still convinced that mass incarcerations and the muttering of mystical incantations such as Just Say No are the proper way to go. What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to get a different result?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:02 PM

I definitely lean to the left, but follow as much of the reported news, and the background stuff as I can without hurting my eyes more than I've already abused them.

One of my on-line friends here thinks I am libertarian--but I think I am more of a progressive because I do favour government programs, but not waste. We could trim some sails all around and never know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
Actually, I like to listen to ALL sides of the media, but then go to the center of their info to start making my decision on what is factual. As far as being a conservative...I am. If you broke the conservative side into 3 sections being.....baseline conservative....hardline conservative.....wacko extremo conservative....I would be the baseline conservative. I will vote democrat sometimes or republican other times. I have core conservative values, but understand all sides have good points. Unfortunately, the media will only spew out info that helps their agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies