Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The poll you've cited shows Democrats and Republicans in agreement, doesn't it? I didn't see anything about "the Left". It's Independents who are split on the issue.
That's because they are in agreement. Every conservative, except one, that I have talked to has been in agreement that this ruling is disasterous. And Independents are fuming, because this ruling tool 3rd parties and INDs completely out of the picture. I don't know why you think Independents are split on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I don't really see the point. Corporations have always donated massive amounts anyway, they just had to hide it. Now they do it openly. At least now we know who to blame.
How do you know who is behind the ads? It could be a Venezualan or an Arab oil company trying to influence the vote and you'd never know it.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I can see both sides of the issue but what concerns me most is there doesn't appear to be any restriction on the foreign ownership in corporations.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can see both sides of the issue but what concerns me most is there doesn't appear to be any restriction on the foreign ownership in corporations.
No, there isn't, and I am sure the Europeans and Arabs are already picking their candidates for the the US midterms.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Campaign Financing Legislation always attacks the fuel rather than the fire. Our two party system is as much at fault as the Corporations. Both Party's depend on Greed

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you know who is behind the ads? It could be a Venezualan or an Arab oil company trying to influence the vote and you'd never know it.
Now you can follow the money.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,054 times
Interesting that Americans agree with the fact that it is a free speech/First Amendment issue and have little problem with it. The real issue is how much money is in politics not where it comes from.

Public Agrees With Court: Campaign Money Is "Free Speech"

Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post

Interesting that Americans agree with the fact that it is a free speech/First Amendment issue and have little problem with it. The real issue is how much money is in politics not where it comes from.

Public Agrees With Court: Campaign Money Is "Free Speech"
How disingenuous. They "have little problem with it"? Where did you make that bit of info up from?

"At the same time, the majority think it is more important to limit campaign donations than to protect this free-speech right.

. . .

"The 5-4 decision in the Citizens United case underscores the tension between protecting free speech and giving certain groups or individuals undue influence over election campaigns. Another poll question asked Americans to weigh the two considerations and say which is the greater priority for them: placing limits on how much individuals, corporations, and unions can contribute to campaigns or protecting the rights of these groups to freely support political campaigns. By 52% to 41%, Americans say placing limits on contributions is paramount for them."

I think I know why you would rather that have remained unsaid.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Disclosure. All advertisement will require full disclosure...that has not changed from the current requirement.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Disclosure. All advertisement will require full disclosure...that has not changed from the current requirement.
It seems to me that some here won't manage to agree with you since full disclosure wasn't demanded of one party group in 2008. They claimed that that huge amount they didn't account for was done that way because there were so many small donations that it would take too many pages to list them one. I think that many of those donations came from Soros and the like and they didn't want anyone to learn that, for sure.

We must get the Congress to legislate laws that allow complete transparency of where money came from and then we can deal with this. What the court determined this time was just what had been said for many, many years about corporations being individuals before the law. The left leaning media attacked immediately because this will allow the Soros money to be blasted away next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies