Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,731 times

Advertisements

Her meaning has changed greatly over the many years
Now She means nothing more than
Freedom for all who seek to undo the new gov. oppression
No color, no race. Just freedom.
A wise person said
Fore we are of the same Red ,White and Blue. You are Liberty, I am Freedom. Together Our Stars with your stripes and my Bars are Invincable.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM

646 posts, read 801,419 times
The confederate flag represents the confederate who rode with Wade Hampton and his "Hampton's Legion" at Manassas and gave us hope that just maybe the winds of change would blow our way.It represents the honor of the confederate who fought alongside Robert E Lee at Fredericksburg,the confederate who lost his limd,yet so valiantly gave us victory.It represents the confederate who fought the much larger and better supplied army at Chancellorsville,somehow against all odds you did the impossible,and at what cost,we lost our beloved General Stonwall,as he descended to heaven.It represents the confeferate who died at Antietam,with blood and corpses all around.It represents to the confederate who followed Forrest into Chickamauga and trusted Braxton Bragg at Chattanooga,only to be slaughtered at Missionary Ridge.To the confederate who fought at Lookout Mtn and never returned.It represents the confederate who held out at The Siege of Vicksburg,with John Pemberton,with no reinforcements or supplies,they had to starve you out for over 40 days.The confederate who went to Gettysburg and as his rebel yell echoed as he joined Pickett's Charge,with 50% casualties,you marched your last,It represents the confederate who witnessed Sherman torch our earth.The confederate flag represents these men

Old 02-17-2010, 05:07 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,729 times
It is simply the flag of an old defeated power. I don't care if a state decides to incorporate it into a state flag.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSailor View Post
Lee owned slave on his own, but he was a poor businessman and didn't make much money. If you go the the US Slave Census rolls, you can find Lee's slaves enumerated.

Lee kept the Curtis slaves past the last date allowed for in his father-in-law's will. The Curtis slaves were required by the will to be freed no later than five years after the Death of George Curtis. Lee was late several months in meeting that do not exceed time line.

Lee was a monumental hypocrite on the subject of slavery.
And I'm going to restate what was going on when the slaves were supposed to be emmancipated. Custis' slaves had been willed to Lee, and they were to be freed 5 years after his death. But, in December 1862, the week the slaves were to be freed, the battle of Cheat Mountain commenced, Lee had to be away because he had a war to manage, plus the legal matters between Lee's and the late Custis' lawyers and estate were finalizing all the work that needed to be done for the proper manumission.

There was nothing malicious or evil involved in the delay, it was just offset by a war and legal matters, like many things in life.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
The confederate flag represents the confederate who rode with Wade Hampton and his "Hampton's Legion" at Manassas and gave us hope that just maybe the winds of change would blow our way.
The slaveholding states -- which defined and distinguished themselves as such -- didnt want change, it wanted things to stay the same. Not sure what Wade Hampton wanted.

Quote:
It represents the honor of the confederate who fought alongside Robert E Lee at Fredericksburg,the confederate who lost his limd,yet so valiantly gave us victory.It represents the confederate who fought the much larger and better supplied army at Chancellorsville,somehow against all odds you did the impossible,and at what cost,we lost our beloved General Stonwall,as he descended to heaven.It represents the confeferate who died at Antietam,with blood and corpses all around.It represents to the confederate who followed Forrest into Chickamauga and trusted Braxton Bragg at Chattanooga,only to be slaughtered at Missionary Ridge.To the confederate who fought at Lookout Mtn and never returned.It represents the confederate who held out at The Siege of Vicksburg,with John Pemberton,with no reinforcements or supplies,they had to starve you out for over 40 days.The confederate who went to Gettysburg and as his rebel yell echoed as he joined Pickett's Charge,with 50% casualties,you marched your last,It represents the confederate who witnessed Sherman torch our earth.The confederate flag represents these men
Does it represent anything else?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 PM

646 posts, read 801,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The slaveholding states -- which defined and distinguished themselves as such -- didnt want change, it wanted things to stay the same. Not sure what Wade Hampton wanted.

Your asking me does it represent anything else.Maybe to you

Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Your asking me does it represent anything else.Maybe to you
Is that a "No"?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 PM

135 posts, read 139,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Delusianne, if you're not sure what Wade Hampton wanted, why don't you find out. It's ok if you really don't care what he wanted, and if that is the case, then why even mention it?
Does it represent anything else? Hmmm, I think this was so well put that to add anything else to these words would actually take something away from it. Tell me, Delusianne, what convicts you and moves you the way the confederacy so clearly moves MP?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksevers View Post
Delusianne, if you're not sure what Wade Hampton wanted, why don't you find out. It's ok if you really don't care what he wanted, and if that is the case, then why even mention it?
Ah - see my reply to Mary Phagan's post for the bigger picture.
Quote:
Does it represent anything else? Hmmm, I think this was so well put that to add anything else to these words would actually take something away from it.
Thanks, but I wasnt asking you.

Quote:
Tell me, Delusianne, what convicts you and moves you the way the confederacy so clearly moves MP?
A number of things do, including other romanticized harebrained bloodbaths throughout history, key nouns of which can be substituted for Mary Phagan's in his rhapsody without so much as a bump.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM

392 posts, read 559,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
An FYI to all posters

It seems that someone is deliberately trying to skew the polling numbers -specifically trying to get the Racism, slavery, and segregation to get more votes than the other one.

The Racism, slavery, and segregation area was falling farther behind when suddenly it started catching up - quickly.

I'd like to thank the Moderators (can I get in trouble for thanking the Mods???) for their assistance - and they have identified a NUMBER of names that registered that were tied to previously banned names etc.

While I can't be exact - I can say, with assurance, that the spread between the two sections is MUCH WIDER than currently shows with the Racism, slavery, and segregation TRAILING significantly.
Gideon said, I tend to disagree. Numbers do not lie. I am glad the tide is turning and we are seeing that more people are opposed to seeing such a symbol of hate and racism flurish. What I believe is going on, is that the normal posters whom support it and started this thread have come to and end. Now we are seeing the tide turn as now others continue to come in; it is not the same old run of the mill votes we saw initially and with the same group of people whom supported. The spectrum has broadened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies