Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
You need a geography lesson. Virginia is not the sum total of the South. And actually, it's a bit over a third, more if you count Texas.
But Virginia IS part of the South, as is Georgia and Texas.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
?

It was a reply to a comment that Virginia has produced "most of the nation's presidents." The reply questioned "most."
Actually, I don't recall mentioning any one specific state in that reply.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,029,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually, I don't recall mentioning any one specific state in that reply.
Oh, I see. I hadnt gone back far enough. I apologize, TKramar.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,474,030 times
No offence but I wonder the usefulness of continuation of this thread...
It was clear from the beginning that other people whould project positive thoughts about the flag & others would project negative thoughts...

The same person could have BOTH pos & neg attitude towards the flag.

So a 50-50 poll makes sense...

Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
If a man died fighting against the United States of America, he was an enemy of the United States of America, it is impossible to see that in any other context. If he renounced his nation and fought against her, he was a traitor, and deserved the usual punishment for traitors.

If you display the flag of the traitors, what do you expect rational people to think of you?
No, it is just impossible for YOU to see it in any other context. Which speaks volumes on your own ability to comprehend that history is not an objective subject.

The United States of America, as defined during the War Between the States, was ONLY the northern states who kept the name by default! If there is anything in my rantings I would like to make clear, it is that simple fact.

The South (Confederate States of AMERICA) was NOT fighting against the principles of the original Constitution or Declaration of Independence (both of which were mostly written by Southern men). Nor did they seek to "overthrow" the government of the old Union.

They sought peaceful seperation, nothing more. In fact, when the original reps of the 7 lower South states met to form a new government, some actually wanted to call the new nation "United States", believing (rightfully), they considered themselves the true heirs to the founding principles.

The "traitor" thing has been coverered countless times before and been thoroughly debunked, beaten, routed and whipped. To keep repeating it all the live-long-day, doesn't change it one iota. The northern powers of the day admitted it wouldn't stand up in court, so what part of that is not understood? Would you like it repeated/quoted? Be happy to!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Gideon said, so your answer to America's social ills is to fly a confederate flag, waved by neo natzi groups and resurrect the ways of the bad south; that is even a better solution right? Wrong, it is the job of government to rule the people and control them. As time ventures on the controls only worsens; it is inevitable. Don't blame the US Governments social ills on the fact that they kicked the souths butt; by the way, if it had not been for great Negro soldiers the north probably would not have been so victorious. Praise God they kicked the south's butt.
LMAO. For one, who the heck is "Gideon Says" Pardon me while I choke and spew beer out my nostils while erupting in laughter! ROFLMAO

*AHEM...recovering from a laughing fit*....

Anyway...it is always with amused disgust I read posts like this (by the way, are you California Sur...or just a friend of his? ). That is to say, many of those who attempt to link the CSA with Nazi Germany (which has also been proven so idiotic as to be laughable) also embrace Nazi philosophy when it comes to free speech and expression. The government should "ban it" huh? Gawd...what are they teaching in school these days?

Don't you have homework to do?

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-20-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 PM

392 posts, read 557,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
So it is your idea that the government ruling and controlling people is true freedom?

Big Brother (Nineteen Eighty-Four) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Absolutely not, but as I said it is inevitable. Can't wait for when we are weak, then are we strong. You have a dificult time understanding the deeper meanings in life. Government's job is to control the masses; as they become more disorderly more control is demanded. Confederate flag flying is one example of loss of control and disorderly conduct, as there are many.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 PM

392 posts, read 557,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LMAO. For one, who the heck is "Gideon Says" Pardon me while I choke and spew beer out my nostils while erupting in laughter! ROFLMAO

*AHEM...recovering from a laughing fit*....

Anyway...it is always with amused disgust I read posts like this (by the way, are you California Sur...or just a friend of his? ). That is to say, many of those who attempt to link the CSA with Nazi Germany (which has also been proven so idiotic as to be laughable) also embrace Nazi philosophy when it comes to free speech and expression. The government should "ban it" huh? Gawd...what are they teaching in school these days?

Don't you have homework to do?

Gideon said, see I told you confederate flag flyers were a bunch of fat beer belly hill billies. When the founding fathers had free speech in mind, it was centered toward orderly conduct, that was not divisive, vulgar, disorderly, offensive, destructive, and racist in nature. No free speech or expression should ever be allowed in such an instance. Basically everyone had free God given human rights as individuals. Confederate flag flyers are openly oposed to such a reasoning and are racist individuals trying to resurrect and hang on to what is long past, a confederate state keeping people of color in slavery and depravity. For such, a freedom to express such vulgarity will become extinct as so will the flag. As it already has in many areas of our culture.

Down with the racist, rebell, confederate flag flyers; down with them. Let's put and end to their devisive, out dated, racist agenda; down with them, "Gideon says". Bring on the NWO to put and end to such hate groups; allowing humanity to freely express themselves. LQQks to me like the confederate flag flyers are losing grounds in the poll.

Last edited by Gideon7620; 02-20-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 12:49 PM

3,377 posts, read 4,989,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Gideon said, see I told you confederate flag flyers were a bunch of fat beer belly hill billies.
In Reb's defense, he doesn't speak in the 3rd person, and so what he likes to knock back a few brewskies, I don't hold it against him. Bad fail on character assassination there.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times
I feel so very sorry for Gideon. It seems he has, and is, missing so much out of life. Life can, and is, so very rich and full - he can't see it though as he is so full of hate and rage. It is consuming him.

I'll pray for Gideon that he will, hopefully before it is too late, find the light - to find his redemption.

Here's hoping the Lord will save you Gideon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies