Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 PM

3,377 posts, read 4,989,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
your right of course, it was ALL about states rights..........States rights to own slaves...................a hateful, institution, one that harmed the very fabric of the concept of this nations founding and one that still breeds bitter discontent in the hearts and minds of many an AMERICAN citizen today black and white.
Our black brothers should get over it and us whites should stop rubbing it in their faces.........especially with the flag
There were many causes to the war, slavery one of the absolute biggest, but not the only. And the flag is objective in it's meaning, I could say the North Dakota state flag offends me because of all the stereotypes in "Fargo". It's all in the hands of the holder, and in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,816,368 times
Quote:
You been readin way to many current revisionist text and history books my young lad.

IT didnt take Grant YEARS to capture Vicksburg, just months.
and a lot of those good ole southern boys surrendered to. IT wasnt to the death.
THere have ALWAYS been reports of troops running in combat. If you havent been there dont point the finger.
I saw more than one American infantry man run in fright in Vietnam,
I also saw many a NVA run in fright.
They wernt terrified of Ole Stonewall.just respectful of his abilities........

The effort of United States troops to capture Vicksburg took over a year, from the spring of 1862 to the summer of 1863, and it involved thousands of soldiers and caused much bloodshed.

General Jackson flanked the Union army XI Corps at Chancellorsville, when Jackson attacked the XI Corps Union soldiers panicked and fled.

Letter from a Union soldier watching Union soldiers run:

"The retreat was headlong. They had thrown away everything that was loose. Guns, knapsacks, caps and many had no coat or blouse. They were crazed and fought to escape as though the enemy were close to them. We were ordered to stop them, but we might as well have tried to stop a cyclone."

Last edited by DraggingCanoe; 01-28-2010 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 PM

3,377 posts, read 4,989,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The effort of United States troops to capture Vicksburg took over a year, from the spring of 1862 to the summer of 1863, and it involved thousands of soldiers and caused much bloodshed.
Are you sure that was the Vicksburg Campaign of '63, or the dash to secure the Mississippi river during 62-63? Because it appeared that they were coming south from New Orleans and north from Memphis and just happened to converge on Vicksburg and the giant Confederate pocket surrounding the town.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 PM

900 posts, read 669,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
There were many causes to the war, slavery one of the absolute biggest, but not the only. And the flag is objective in it's meaning, I could say the North Dakota state flag offends me because of all the stereotypes in "Fargo". It's all in the hands of the holder, and in the eye of the beholder.
Yes, you could. But then again the good people of North Dakota (and I know this because I lived there for two years when my Dad was in the Air Force) don't wave their flag around in some sort of celebration of their bizarre concept of regional pride. Nor, to the best of my knowledge, did they follow that flag into battle against the United States of America.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:

General Jackson flanked the Union army XI Corps at Chancellorsville, when Jackson attacked the XI Corps Union soldiers panicked and fled.

"The retreat was headlong. They had thrown away everything that was loose. Guns, knapsacks, caps and many had no coat or blouse. They were crazed and fought to escape as though the enemy were close to them. We were ordered to stop them, but we might as well have tried to stop a cyclone."

And yet Vicksburg (isn't that the place Union soldiers called Prarie Dog Town because the citizens all lived underground?), like all other bastions of southern racism, folded and surrendered in the end.

By the way, did those Union soldiers run as fast as Pickett's men?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Actually, if you honestly stop and think about it, that analogy is backwards.
Let's see:
A tyrannical dictator invades another land for the purpose of conquering and eliminating a particular group of people.
Sounds like Lincoln to me.....
Lincoln = Hitler? You people really do need your own country. I'm all for armed border guards and as little contact as possible once it is established.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Buffalo Soldier did not come along until after the war and he is historically correct about black soldiers. Wiki doesn't give all the details and I think you could find a better source. Funny how they used Black troops to fight Native Americans.
God, do you people ever read history books? The Confederate Congress authorized black troops in March of 1865. The war ended in April of 1865.

Black slaves of Rebel officers don't count as black soldiers.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaoKUj_fUeo

Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
than you need to move out my dear before it consumes you.........I hear Arkansas is better

No, all those southern states pretty much suck equally.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
No, all those southern states pretty much suck equally.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/oakalley.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies