Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:58 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Dragging canoe, in this 21st century right here in this very thread you all gave a free pass to mary phagen. Why?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/Iwo_Jima_Historical_Flags_of_the_US.jpg (broken link) Slavery for 86 years.http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/images-1.jpg (broken link) Never officially represented Slavery.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcingPrincess View Post
First off, I don't hate the south. Of course we had a nasty, racist history, but I don't hate the south. It's just that some of the white's attitude's here just make me want to puke. They don't realize that some of the foods we enjoy here in the south were created by African slaves. Sweet potato pie, for an example. Those racist stereotype that white come up with when they know good darn well that they eat fried chicken too.

I bet your probably one of those people who think we should eliminate black history month.

I think that the Southern Poverty Law Center recognizes the SCV as a white racist group. Joe Wilson who shouted "You lie!" to the president was a member of the SCV.

-There have been SCV members who pass out racist cartoon literature and defend the KKK. Claiming that the USA is "a white's only" nation.

-The SCV also have numerous members who are also in the KKK, Aryan nation, and the National Alliance. Are you in one of those other hate groups, texasReb?

Okay. Alot of flags and symbol have negative connotations to them. That doesn't give you the OK to fly a confederate one. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Also you can blame YOUR southern plantation owners for furthering supporting this horrendous institution by buying slaves from the northeast and fulfilling their sick "way of life". As said before two wrongs do not make a right.

I'm sure your familiar with Johnny Rebel and David Allan Coe. And all those songs that worship the Confederacy and all that it stood for.
Er, no it isn't a hate group. It was never recognized as such, hence the reason why Nelson Winbush, heck even Clint Eastwood and Harry Truman were in it! It is called a historical society for a reason.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM

646 posts, read 801,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I never look at the south as victims until they go on claiming victim identity. Your statement of northern elite is your own prejudice in action, and the very thing actively maligning the confederate flag. You've put mud upon it with your own words and attitudes.

The likelihood that NYC will tear down it's memorials to BOTH sides is slim to none. Nobody has incentive to blast faces off a mountain until you give evidence in your expressions of hatred why it should be done. The thought never occurred to me once, and even in this moment find it absurd. Instigating non arguments to justify contempt for the rest of America... how's that working out for you?

Islamic people are obliged to give walking papers to terrorists. So are Christians. So are NRA. So are crooks doing business hiding behind the American flag. So I truly hope you do not surrender it to them by default, but state unequivocally what is it and what is is not. Proponents of confederate flag need to serve those walking papers.

Shall we ban the cross because these people abuse it, or shall we point to the contrarian behavior that is the real culprit?
First,it is America's contempt for my heritage,thus the discussion.If you research military recruiting you will see that the south has been the most patriotic region in America.I have said this and it is true.There have been more negative movies depicting the south,more books written about,more quotes,more stereotypes and in general more ridicule.Indeed it has been open season on all things southern for decades.I am not playing victim, for we are a tough bunch and need no pity.Now,from Memphis to Chattanooga I here calls to remove statues of such men as Nathan Bedford Forrest and others.Our local naacp has in fact called for the destruction of Stone Mountain.They pick their battles wisely.But it is not my imagination,this group is going after all things southern one baby step at a time.But as I stand on top of Lookout Mountain,I say not on my watch

Old 02-06-2010, 04:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Dragging canoe, in this 21st century right here in this very thread you all gave a free pass to mary phagen. Why?
I wonder.

also, it's "Phagan", from Leo Frank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2010, 04:49 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Isn't Edgerton in the NAACP too?

Yet you admire him for what he stands for? And you despise the NAACP?
You can't have it both ways.
Edgerton ditched the NAACP when they became a bunch of frauds filing lawsuits against the supposed bogeymen of society.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I wonder.

also, it's "Phagan", from Leo Frank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mary Mary,quite contrary

Old 02-06-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Oh then he really is an Uncle Tom.

He chooses to stay with the racist hate group instead of the NAACP
Miss Princess,uncle tom? Here we go

Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I've considered joining the SCV, since I have several relatives who served in the 17th Virginia infantry and 8th Virginia cavalry regiments. My Great-Great-Great Uncle Charlie made it to the stone wall at Gettysburg with Pickett's divisions and was captured alive and furloughed after the war.

But the mentality of some of the membership troubles me. Thes folks harbor racist beliefs and express recriminations based on lingering bitterness and a sense of victimization.

If the SCV ever rids itself of these elements, I would be proud to become a member. There is a lot to be said for honoring the service of people who believed that they were protecting their homes, and backed up their beliefs by making the ultimate sacrifice.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 02-06-2010 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Punctuation error

Old 02-06-2010, 05:33 PM

135 posts, read 139,069 times
Quote:
Isn't Edgerton in the NAACP too?

Yet you admire him for what he stands for? And you despise the NAACP?
You can't have it both ways.
In December 1998, Edgerton was suspended from the NAACP after he approached Kirk Lyons, an attorney who had represented Ku Klux Klan leader Louis Beam in a 1988 conspiracy trial, to assist the Asheville NAACP in a lawsuit over housing policy. According to the NAACP, his suspension was due to non-compliance with the organization's rules when the Asheville chapter fell into debt. In 1999, he was voted out of office.
Sorry, sweetheart, check your facts before you start posting false garbage. It's called wikipeda, and you'd be amazed by the pletheora of knowledge it provides. Something tells me, however, you are not about knowledge, but POWER is where you set your sights. You can't truly have one without the other and it be worth anything.
The NAACP is a worthless, bullying organization. I give them 20 more years MAX before they dismember because of the corruption and hate for which they stand.
Any other fact you would like me to check for you???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies