Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,654 times

Advertisements

Southerners are truly America's warrior class. Man for man, the Confederate army was the greatest army the world had ever seen. It is outrageous for Northern liberals and race demagogues to try to turn the Confederate battle flag into a badge of shame, in the process spitting on America's gallant warrior class.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 PM

177 posts, read 266,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksevers View Post
Coon Dog,
I have repped you several times before. Great posts!
Anything by Hank William Jr. is going to be a hit with a TRUE confederate! "If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie..."
Thanks for your rebel spirit!
Thank You. Enjoy and G-Night ( This time for real )

Flying A Memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllgzpCIWoc

Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Isnt one fine soldier the equal of another?

• Sergeant Alvin York, who received the Medal of Honor in World War I for leading seven men to capture 128 Germans, including four officers, was from Tennessee.
  • The most decorated soldier of World War II, Audie Murphy, was from Texas.
  • The first Marine awarded the Medal of Honor in World War II, Hank Elrod, was from Georgia.
  • General Lucius Clay, commander of the Berlin Airlift, was from Georgia.
  • General Dwight Eisenhower was born in Texas.
  • Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, the Pacific commander in chief of the Navy during World War II, was from Texas.
  • General Douglas MacArthur, who commanded Allied forces in World War II in the Southwest Pacific, was from Arkansas.
  • General William Westmoreland, commander of U.S. troops in Vietnam, was from South Carolina.
  • Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, considered by many to be the greatest Marine ever and the only Marine to be awarded the Navy Cross five times for heroism and gallantry in combat, was from Virginia.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 PM

It is a vicious slander against the South to claim the Confederate battle flag represents admiration for slavery. It is pride in the South -- having nothing to do with race or slavery.

The battle flag symbolizes an ethic and honor that belongs to all the sons of the South.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
  • Sergeant Alvin York, who received the Medal of Honor in World War I for leading seven men to capture 128 Germans, including four officers, was from Tennessee.
  • The first Marine awarded the Medal of Honor in World War II, Hank Elrod, was from Georgia.
  • Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, the Pacific commander in chief of the Navy during World War II, was from Texas.
  • General Douglas MacArthur, who commanded Allied forces in World War II in the Southwest Pacific, was from Arkansas.
  • General William Westmoreland, commander of U.S. troops in Vietnam, was from South Carolina.
  • Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, considered by many to be the greatest Marine ever and the only Marine to be awarded the Navy Cross five times for heroism and gallantry in combat, was from Virginia.
Regardless of what one thinks of Ann Coulter (I happen to respect and admire her), she says it well, here:

The whole country's military history is shot through with Southerners. Phil Ca****, liberal in good standing and author of the anti-Vietnam book "Rumor of War," was one of the first Marines in Vietnam, as a second lieutenant in 1965. He talks about how his best soldiers were Southerners: They could walk for hours and hit anything -- as he puts it -- just like their Confederate grandfathers

Ann Coulter

And in his haunting memoir of the Pacific War (Goodbye, Darkness), William Manchester wrote of how the Southern boys were the best of the best. Their patriotism was beyond question. As he put it (paraphrased):

In battle, the Southerners amongst us would charge fearlessly and they loved the bayonet..yipping the Rebel Yell of their Confederate grandfathers. How my fathers' side ever defeated my mothers' side will always mystify me..."

Too (Ann again):

It stands for a proud military heritage shared by both blacks and whites in the South. The reverence for tradition and pride in historical antecedents are precisely what make Southerners, black and white, such stalwart patriots

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/coulter020100.asp

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-06-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Those are fine soldiers indeed, but it doesnt quite back up "Man for man, the Confederate army was the greatest army the world had ever seen."

Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Those are fine soldiers indeed, but it doesnt quite back up "Man for man, the Confederate army was the greatest army the world had ever seen."
I'll have to find the exact quote...but as I recall, Gen. Grant opposed freeing northern POW's -- when it was offered, no strings attached -- on the grounds that the Confederate soldiers were equal to at least three of his. In other words, he would have had to provide for those starving men, and it would have freed up Southerns (who were guarding POW camps) to come fight against him...

While I search for it, I DO know that one Union officer wrote, toward the end -- in awe and admiration -- something along the lines of:

"It is beyond all wonder how such men as the Confederate soldiers fight on as they do. That worn, sick, hungry and miserable, they prove themselves such heroes in a fight is past all explanation..."

Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
It is a vicious slander against the South to claim the Confederate battle flag represents admiration for slavery. It is pride in the South -- having nothing to do with race or slavery.
That may be true for some, but for others, Southern and otherwise, it represents all the distinguishing elements of a reactionary South.

Quote:
The battle flag symbolizes an ethic and honor that belongs to all the sons of the South.
What ethic do you mean?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 PM

646 posts, read 801,419 times
Quote:
I wish I could rep you again for this one.We here in Tennessee are very proud of Davy Crockett also.He was pretty mean with "ole Betsy"

Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I'll have to find the exact quote...but as I recall, Gen. Grant opposed freeing northern POW's -- when it was offered, no strings attached -- on the grounds that the Confederate soldiers were equal to at least three of his.

While I search for it, I DO know that one Union officer wrote, toward the end -- in awe and admiration -- something along the lines of:

"It is beyond all wonder how such men as the Confederate soldiers fight on as they do. That worn, sick, hungry and miserable, they prove themselves such heroes in a fight is past all explanation..."
^ I find that quote at Crossroads of Freedom: Antietam, by James M McPherson, attributed to "a Union surgeon," though in another book McPherson attributes it to "a Union officer."

Hey! In looking for that quote at Google Books I ran across a copy of The Century magazine from 1884, which prints an impassioned letter to the editor regarding the origin of the KKK which might shed some light on the bitterness of Southern whites during Reconstruction and after. Hugely interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies