Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM

177 posts, read 266,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Imagine what it is like to live in a section of the country where good Christian people are called racist, ignorant, inbred, and every other vile thought constantly.

We are getting tired of it.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Gideon said, absolutely, I am bigoted against confederate flag flying bigots as yourself whom attempt poising themselves as those whom are respectable towards people of color. Let that settle the matter. I grew up on Gary Indiana, around a bunch of blacks and Latino's; we still get along fine. But I know being the confederate flag flyer that you are, you could never hold such a position in life
Gideon - clearly you are not a Christian. Quite the opposite as a matter of fact.

The fact that you attacked my daughter in the way you did positively proves my statement above.

I won't play your little game - I will say though that I do hold a high place in my Church / Parish, I am well respected in my community. My family and I work, very willingly, with our homeless community and those who have serious substance abuse issues. And more -

You are not long for these parts - and I will enjoy watching your demise.

Have fun

Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM

408 posts, read 723,517 times
Seriously, I think I stated this in my previous post... People base their opinion on the flag around the personal experiences they've had (I would hope)... so it's "history" won't matter. This thread has at least shown me that people view this flag as more than what it's perceived as by the many. Which is good. However it IS associated with racism. I mean, y'all have posted positive pictures and even people of color embracing the flag, but that alone will not be enough to erase what people have personally encountered dealing with the flag.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
How can you claim to know so much about a person without actually getting to learn about them?

Isn't that the definition of a prejudice? You know, I think it is!

Main Entry: 1prej·u·dice
Pronunciation: \ˈpre-jə-dəs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment — more at judicial
Date: 13th century
1 : injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

I'm shocked!
http://www.southernmessenger.org/images/Image1a.jpg (broken link)

The South Under Siege: 1830-2000, a Review

Lewis Goldberg
03/17/2003

Frank Conner's monumental work documenting the North's past and continued aggression against Dixie is just that - monumental. Weighing in at 752 pages with zero fluff, Siege satisfies the history buff with every page turn. Mr. Conner brings together a wealth of knowledge that one would have to read a library of books to discover, all tied together with his own, well-educated personal insight and analysis.
Beginning with a discussion of the Constitution and its problems under federalist influences, Frank Conner takes the reader on a journey exploring the chain of events that led to the financial exploitation of the South, to full-scale war, and to the so-called reconstruction that followed. Mr. Conner skillfully shows how through the previous decades the stage of war was set, and how the same influences that guided Lincoln into mortal combat in 1861 continued to exploit Dixie through the rest of that century and right up to the present day.
Read Chapter 1
In Siege, not only will you learn of political maneuverings and the influence of greed, but also how social trends were affected through the distinct philosophies and religious beliefs held by the two great regions of the nation. Mr. Conner unabashedly proclaims the power of God's saving grace, as was once witnessed in the old time, reformation style Calvinism of Colonial America; and shows how the North's Pelagian Arminianism and Unitarianism propelled that section of the nation as much as Southern Calvinism motivated the Confederates.
The modernist will be happy to find that Mr. Conner accurately depicts the horrors of the slave trade, but may be dismayed at being reminded it was the 'abolitionist' northern slave traders that perpetrated the deeds. Said modernist may also be saddened to read how in the following century, the same genre of northerners succeeded in creating a new slave state through so-called civil rights and other methods of social engineering. Events that seem, to the casual observer, as random, meaningless happenings take on new meanings as the dots of time are connected between each page of the book. Frank Conner is a master at showing how nothing in politics happens by accident, and gives the reader the education a schoolteacher could never give and keep her job. Intricate business dealings; back-room politics; public and private opinions; the power of God working in men - all are brought to one place for easy digestion, education, and enjoyment. Yes - it is truly a joy to finally understand why things are the way they are, for in Siege you will find condensed all the facts you need to tie the loose ends of American history together. Siege is a must-read for any American concerned about the future of this land.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM

621 posts, read 1,053,623 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFC4g8NkKNg

Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
Seriously, I think I stated this in my previous post... People base their opinion on the flag around the personal experiences they've had (I would hope)... so it's "history" won't matter. This thread has at least shown me that people view this flag as more than what it's perceived as by the many. Which is good. However it IS associated with racism. I mean, y'all have posted positive pictures and even people of color embracing the flag, but that alone will not be enough to erase what people have personally encountered dealing with the flag.
I see your a Southerner! Associated with Racism?

With all due respect. This whole Country is 'associated' with racism! Just look of the treatment of Blacks, Native Americans, Jews, and not to mention 'witches' up North. We've had posters from New Jersey cast stones? Don't these people understand their OWN history?

They 'my friend' are scared. The Southland has a history of standing up to tyrannical governments. Free yourself from thier mind control and help us Free Dixie.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE & THE CONFEDERACY The North's racism & segregation & "Civil War" exposed in the Pledge of Allegiance http://rexcurry.net/pledge-allegiance-pledge-allegiance.jpg Pledge of Allegiance, Swastika http://rexcurry.net/swastika3clear.jp

EXCLUSION of FREE BLACKS
Northern Exclusion of Blacks

God Bless Dixie!

http://www.mrboots.com/images/cw_apparel/bandannas/wx-ban-3500-eagle-01.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Gideon said, absolutely, I am bigoted against confederate flag flying bigots as yourself whom attempt poising themselves as those whom are respectable towards people of color. Let that settle the matter. I grew up on Gary Indiana, around a bunch of blacks and Latino's; we still get along fine. But I know being the confederate flag flyer that you are, you could never hold such a position in life
How so? I know black people that fly it. They don't see it as a symbol of racism at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
I have many friends who are not white.

And I have friends who display Confederate flags.

And when I have a party, they all come and get along while eating, drinking and making merry.

And your last sentence was an insult, against the terms of service. If I said the same about you, that you could never hold a position in life similar to mine, it would be an insult because it suggests that you are lacking in certain human characteristics. Perhaps you do just mean to come on this forum and insult people rather than have a real discourse with them, but the majority of us actually prefer to have a meaningful conversation.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 AM

646 posts, read 801,164 times
I say to all the unreconstructed southerners,secede.I say to you Arkansas,home of Douglas MacArthur,you "shall return" to your god fearing roots.I say to you Sweet Home Alabama,home of John Hunt Morgan and his raiders,secede and put pride back in your heart.South Carolna,with your confederate flags popping in the wind,you have more veterans than any other state yet you are ridiculed daily,secede.You too Mississppi with your beautiful state flag no state has faced the stereotypes as you,I say secede and return to your antebellum ways.The eyes of Texas are upon you Tennessee,home of NB Forrest,you have more volunteers to the military without appreciation,I say secede,and hold on to your guns.Virginia,home of General Stonewall and Lee,secede and put the D back in Dixie.North Carolina,I say to you secede.I say to you Lousiana and all the south,you send more troops to war than all other regions,yet you are despised and ridiculed daily,I say secede.Mary Phagan,unreconstructed southerner

Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM

392 posts, read 559,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have many friends who are not white.

And I have friends who display Confederate flags.

And when I have a party, they all come and get along while eating, drinking and making merry.

And your last sentence was an insult, against the terms of service. If I said the same about you, that you could never hold a position in life similar to mine, it would be an insult because it suggests that you are lacking in certain human characteristics. Perhaps you do just mean to come on this forum and insult people rather than have a real discourse with them, but the majority of us actually prefer to have a meaningful conversation.

By the way I am not a racist as you suggest. Guess what, as I have already mentioned, I am married to a German, Dutch giirl, blonde hair and blue eyes, beautiful soft, pearly, white skin; love it. As far as my family is concerned, I have Jews, blacks, latinos, Italianos, Indians, and every race imaginable we are truly a melting pot. Do not tell me that I am racist, because I am far from. Sure I would love to see confederate flag flying haters banned and shipped away to the moon or someplace. So do not tell me I am a racist or even insinuate that; afterall, you are the one whom loves the confederate flag and seems to be quite protective of something which is long past, unless one is part of a hate group or someother white-anglo, terrorist group. Hey I have delt with the KKK directly and I know their tacktics. Their flag is not a symbol of hate and they are a Christian group and all the other bull they talk about. You know something else, I look so white they have tried recruiting me before. But when they, the local kkk, hide behind their cowardly hoods, intrude our streets with demonstrattions of hate, their entire tone changes. Why don't we allow Alkida, The Taleban, and other extremist Palestinian groups whom hate America demonstrate in our streets too; hey its a free country for everyone, right???. I say we ban all of these terroists groups, including their symbols, along with the Conferate flag and all Neo Natzi Groups. First Offence should be a minimum of ten years in a slave camp. Second offense we will send you to the moon or place you in front of a firing swad. When people step out of line; Government needs to be just as harsh. Here in NW, Indiana if you fly something like that, you are bound to have problems from the Latin kings, Knights of the Crypt, Knights of the Templar, Black Insanes, Concord, Fellowship, or Terry Town Rnagers.

Get real don't insult my intelligence. I conducted a survey today here in NW, In. In this survey I aked people (20) of them; what came to mind when a confederate flag was mentioned or displayed. Guess what? All 20 clearly stated they thought of slavery, racism, the kkk, neo natzi groups, etc. Not one, I repeat not one said anything otherwise or anything positive. The main emphasis was natzism; it took the most opinions or replies and held center stage... I sure hope they ban your flag which you love so much.

Last edited by Gideon7620; 02-09-2010 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies