Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know, I came up in a different time. It was before the idiots took guns to school to shoot people. In the fall, in the foothills of Va. I brought either rifles, shotguns, and occassional handguns to school, w/a box or two of the appropriate ammunition. No one got upset about this, I was going hunting after classes, I placed the rifles or guns in my locker and locked it. At least a small percentage of the time, the asst. principle would be going bird hunting with me, as would various teachers and/or other kids. No one seemed worried that we might have taken the school hostage, I doubt it crossed anyones mind. At the end of the day as I gathered my books and firearms, people would wish me luck. It just was not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 04:31 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Yeah, I know, I came up in a different time. It was before the idiots took guns to school to shoot people. In the fall, in the foothills of Va. I brought either rifles, shotguns, and occassional handguns to school, w/a box or two of the appropriate ammunition. No one got upset about this, I was going hunting after classes, I placed the rifles or guns in my locker and locked it. At least a small percentage of the time, the asst. principle would be going bird hunting with me, as would various teachers and/or other kids. No one seemed worried that we might have taken the school hostage, I doubt it crossed anyones mind. At the end of the day as I gathered my books and firearms, people would wish me luck. It just was not a big deal.
Forgive me, but I feel compelled to ask you what your point is? That times have changed? Or that rifles should be allowed in schools?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Maybe we are just wondering why it worked then? Heck I remember this also.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
I suppose it is one of those "danged if things haven't changed" things. It just sorta boggles what is left of my mind when I hear about this sort of thing. Mine was not an isolated incident. Sometimes change is good, sometimes it is not good, sometimes good or not good are not part of the equation.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I suppose it is one of those "danged if things haven't changed" things. It just sorta boggles what is left of my mind when I hear about this sort of thing. Mine was not an isolated incident. Sometimes change is good, sometimes it is not good, sometimes good or not good are not part of the equation.
And sometimes change really isn't change at all.

Sometimes it just seems that way because we hear about things instantly.

After all...

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."
-- Socrates 400BC

Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
I think kids and administrators should still be allowed to bring guns and ammunition on campus. In the event of another Columbine nutjob at least we'd have a fighting chance.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I think kids and administrators should still be allowed to bring guns and ammunition on campus. In the event of another Columbine nutjob at least we'd have a fighting chance.
Just what we need. More guns in schools.

Unreal.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
THANK you, Dusty Rhodes, for starting this thread. I am a public school teacher and was telling some of my students about this the other day.

Yep, when I was in high school, many of us would have our shotguns in the car/truck, ready to go out dove or quail hunting that afternoon. No one gave it a second thought. Like you say, many times the principal or whatever would come out and look at it and give suggestions on the best places to go. No big deal.

Good thread, DR!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post

Unreal.

Tell me something (although admitedly, I already know the answer) would you object to teachers who have already passed the qualification for carrying a concealed handgun (as I have) to have them in the school building proper?

Before you say "absolutely not"...first answer the question of what if a Columbine nut started killing everyone in sight? If your child was in that school, would you rather have a gun control law or a teacher/staff member/principal with a gun?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post

Unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Tell me something (although admitedly, I already know the answer) would you object to teachers who have already passed the qualification for carrying a concealed handgun (as I have) to have them in the school building proper?

Before you say "absolutely not"...first answer the question of what if a Columbine nut started killing everyone in sight? If your child was in that school, would you rather have a gun control law or a teacher/staff member/principal with a gun?
Good luck. You'll have more luck reasoning with a plastic cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies