Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Liberals don't like the South so because the South don't vote for them.

Any group that don't vote liberal is villified by liberals.

If you don't think exactly like a liberal then you should starve in the streets for all they care. They would prefer if you die. Then they they don't have to worry about diversity. You know, as they accuse you of being close-minded for not thinking exactly as MSNBC says you should think.

Liberals. Who needs 'em?
Some liberals villify the South.

And some people villify liberals.

What's the difference?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Liberals don't like the South so because the South don't vote for them.

Any group that don't vote liberal is villified by liberals.

If you don't think exactly like a liberal then you should starve in the streets for all they care. They would prefer if you die. Then they they don't have to worry about diversity. You know, as they accuse you of being close-minded for not thinking exactly as MSNBC says you should think.

Liberals. Who needs 'em?

Obviously RWNJs do. Who else would they blame for everything up to and including the extinction of the dinosaurs?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
The south is fine, I grew up there. I would never live in the south again, but that has nothing to do with politics.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Liberals generally hate the South because they believe it's the complete opposite of what they stand for.

Progressive (is this term self-congratulatory or what?)
Diversity
Education
Wealth

So to be "southern" in effect means to be backwards, xenophobic, uneducated and poor. .....

Yes, they ignore the fact that a huge number of very influential people have come from the South including Condi Rice, Bill Clinton, LBJ, George Bush, Jimmie Carter, Newt Gringich, Thomas Jefferson, MLK, Robert E Lee, George Washington Carver, Michael Dell, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, they also ignore their own backward, xenophobic, uneducated and poor from the Northeast.

I think what makes them really upset is to see people enjoying life in the warmer South while they shovel snow.

BTW, the most racist city I have spent time in is Boston.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Some liberals villify the South.

And some people villify liberals.

What's the difference?
There is a huge difference.

To vilify an entire region exposes your ignorance since there are millions of people in that region who are very good people and many of them would agree with your liberal views.

To vilify a political position is simply expressing your disagreement with that position.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM

85 posts, read 134,955 times
Most people up North are just not familar with the South. We don't know much about it nor do we visit very often. This is how stereotypes are created. It also does not get a lot of airplay in the media. Most TV shows are based on the East and West coasts and therefore the South remains out of the limelight. I wouldn't say anyone "hates" the South though.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
It is not the South- it is Rural America.
And I have nothing against Rural Dwellers- They can live their lives how they want but when they exude their brand of ignorance on my life I have a problem with that.

Same goes for some unemployed nudnik living in San Francisco.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is a huge difference.

To vilify an entire region exposes your ignorance since there are millions of people in that region who are very good people and many of them would agree with your liberal views.

To vilify a political position is simply expressing your disagreement with that position.
Apparently the definition of vilify changed between the time you typed the first sentence and when you typed the second one.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
It is not the South- it is Rural America.
And I have nothing against Rural Dwellers- They can live their lives how they want but when they exude their brand of ignorance on my life I have a problem with that.

Same goes for some unemployed nudnik living in San Francisco.

You definitely hit on it. The north isn't free of rural areas, and some of the backwards thinking that comes out of them as well. I live in NE Ohio, and when you go to certain southern locations in my state, it feels like a totally different state. Having said that, this isn't a slam on ALL rural dwelling people, because it's ridiculous to generalize that they're all backwards, and bigoted!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, they ignore the fact that a huge number of very influential people have come from the South including Condi Rice, Bill Clinton, LBJ, George Bush, Jimmie Carter, Newt Gringich, Thomas Jefferson, MLK, Robert E Lee, George Washington Carver, Michael Dell, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, they also ignore their own backward, xenophobic, uneducated and poor from the Northeast.

I think what makes them really upset is to see people enjoying life in the warmer South while they shovel snow.

BTW, the most racist city I have spent time in is Boston.
Or, us Southern liberals could tell them about how many towns here are still divided along racial lines and how being politically difference can result in cars with Obama stickers being keyed or Houses with Obama Biden Signs having dummy's strung up in a tree and "hung".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies