Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Why a I not a fan of the South? Well, maybe because the conservative hacks in the South and other places always like to trash my home. Ask any southern conservative what he thinks about Seattle..."punk rock freaks," "coffee drinking beatnik" "evil atheist" "dirty hippy environmentalist" and "gay computer nerd" are all likely to come up before mountains, lakes, or boating.

But I don't care what the south does. I just choose not to live there. What I can't stand is when southerners move to the Pacific North West for work (great economic policies you got going on in Dixie, huh) And then complain about how liberal we are.

If you don't like the sun, stay out of Arizona. If you hate the snow, stay out of Alaska. And if you hate liberals, stay away from the Cascadia region. Simple as that.
So it's ok for you to dislike the South because of the social beliefs of the people there but you don't want people to do the same thing to your area?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I've been to every state except AL
How'd you miss AL If you are driving in the southern part,
it's kind of hard to miss between MS and FL

I actually like Mobile

Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Why a I not a fan of the South? Well, maybe because the conservative hacks in the South and other places always like to trash my home. Ask any southern conservative what he thinks about Seattle..."punk rock freaks," "coffee drinking beatnik" "evil atheist" "dirty hippy environmentalist" and "gay computer nerd" are all likely to come up before mountains, lakes, or boating.
I'm as southern and as conservative as you can get. When I think of Seattle, I think of Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana (not a big fan), Screaming Trees, etc. But my love for Seattle music didn't begin there, Queensryche, Heart and even Hendrix are all in my collection.

Quote:
But I don't care what the south does. I just choose not to live there. What I can't stand is when southerners move to the Pacific North West for work (great economic policies you got going on in Dixie, huh) And then complain about how liberal we are.
It works both ways. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities and recently we were taking a guided tour of the French Quarter. The guide mentioned all of the recent transplants from the Portland, OR area that moved to the quarter that are trying to lobby the city council to quiet down Bourbon Street and limit the parades.

Quote:
If you don't like the sun, stay out of Arizona. If you hate the snow, stay out of Alaska. And if you hate liberals, stay away from the Cascadia region. Simple as that.
Every area has their own sub-culture and that's what makes this country great. I may not want to live in Seattle, but I want to visit and see how you live.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Why do liberals hate the south so much?

It's not "hate" but, instead, it's a dislike for the Crackers segment of that region's population and what they stand for.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

It's not "hate" but, instead, it's a dislike for the Crackers segment of that region's population and what they stand for.
You are right, it's not the whole south, just the gun toting confederate rednecks that make us yankees uncomfortable.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Yep, the South is terrible. Everyone should go ahead and stop moving here. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yep, the South is terrible. Everyone should go ahead and stop moving here. Thanks.
The Carolinas are really nice, Texas is too dry and Alabama looks like trailer park heaven.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

For those of us who don't know, would you tell us what a "cracker" is? And what do they stand for?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
While I don't like certain things in the south, there are plenty of things I do like.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
The Carolinas are really nice, Texas is too dry and Alabama looks like trailer park heaven.
I love the South. Grew up here, lived around the country in my 20s to make sure it was 'home', and came back here to stay. Only problem I have is that so many people are moving here that I fear it will lose its regional identity, part of what makes the South such a wonderful place to live. When I read these types of threads and see the criticisms against the South, it tells me one thing. Those people have never actually been to the South. The South, as portrayed by Hollywood, is NOT reality.

Texas is so big that it really depends where you are. Hill country is pretty nice but in general I prefer more greenery. I always found the middle part of Alabama to be a bit dull but parts of southern Alabama and the very northern part are quite beautiful. One of my favorite towns, Eufaula, is in AL. Really a beautiful, small, historic town. Born and raised in south Georgia. Loved it there but I must admit I love being in the Lowcountry here in SC more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies