Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

The confederate flag has become the symbol of beig a rebel for whatever the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Well, you'd be wrong. I spent a miserable year of my life living in Georgia while in the military. I found the weather atrocious, the life style about 25 years behind the rest of the country, and the people either dumb crackers, racists, or both. There were white areas of the town where our black soldiers were told not to visit because their safety couldn't be guaranteed.

So you can take your south and place it where the sun don't shine.
I spent a few years living in the Norfolk area. Doesn't make me an expert on the state of Virginia.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
I've noticed alot of people from the North that may not have roots in the south have been flying the Rebel Flag and even the Stars and Bars. It seems like alot more Northeners are taking pride in the South or Confederate States. To me, I don't really mind it. I think alot of northeners may like the flag because they see it as a conservative symbol or a symbol of keeping America the way it was. Just wondering what you think about it?

My dad flys both the Rebel Flag and Stars and Bars infront of our house and he always gets very nasty reactions for it and alot of people questioning why. He has to explain that we have ancestors that fought for the South that came from Arkansas and from Southern Illinois. Then the usual reaction is a crazy look and a "oook...it's 2009 ya know?"
Anyone else in the same situation?
Great Post oldtimebanjo and most welcome

We have noticed the same type of incidents way up here on the East Coast ! Confederate Flags flying on pickup trucks, waving on poles with the American Flag, and worn as a patch on various jackets and hats !

There certainly appears to be a most welcome trend being set these days ... Southern Pride being publically displayed ! Yes friends Southern Heritage is indeed worthy of display in todays America just as it was so long ago in the "Old South" !

It's good to know that American's are exercising their right to display what they are so extremely proud of ... especially if their distant relatives were directly involved in this most interesting phase of American History.

That Old Confederate Flag was most appealing as it magnificiently waved from the back of that brand new Chevy Pickup truck last week !

This may be just the beginning phase of restoring some of the national pride and honor that this nation has all but flushed down the toliet.

Being Proud of ones "Heritage" is a good thing ... and don't ever allow some PC "Looney Tune" to tell you any different !

Thanks / Lamar

Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
An over-reaching govenrment in your world being any government that doesn't recognize and cater to the natural superiority of white folks, right?
Ya know, that's twice this week someone has presumed to know me......
Almost every post of your's contains the word "white" or "black".
Are you, yourself, a racist? It's okay to admit it.

When the Fed is doing more for big corporations and unions than they are for the People, THAT'S when they over-reach their leash.
Social programs?
I'm all for 'em. Hell, my tax dollars pay for it so why not?
I'm not okay with someone with no idea how to run a business is going to tax me even more to pay for even more people. We can make cuts before we raise taxes, can't we, instead of spending gobs of money for nothing.

(you would be very surprised to learn some of my situation)

Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Being Proud of ones "Heritage" is a good thing ... and don't ever allow some PC "Looney Tune" to tell you any different !

Thanks / Lamar
Now wait a second. I'm a multi-generational native Californian proud of my heritage but I don't fly the original or current California bear flag here in VA and I've never seen anyone else do it either. Just curious why it's only Southern heritage that seems to bring out this "pride". Maybe it has to be the flag of an entity that fought against the United States?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post

When the Fed is doing more for big corporations and unions than they are for the People, THAT'S when they over-reach their leash.
Social programs?
I'm not okay with someone with no idea how to run a business is going to tax me even more to pay for even more people. We can make cuts before we raise taxes, can't we, instead of spending gobs of money for nothing.

He sounds like a Scottish ******...I don't see why he's got an axe to grind, but it seems that he does.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I might suggest that you have your parents drive you to Oceanside, CA - specifically to the gates of Camp Pendleton.

While you cannot go onto the base, if you sit outside the base, I GUARANTEE you will see Marines, driving off base, flying the "Stars and Bars" from their vehicles.

Then, I would suggest you go down to downtown Oceanside and you will see vehicles with those same flags - and go up to those drivers and call them Traitors - go ahead and do it. Then, try to "tear up" those flags.

I can GUARANTEE you that you will learn a life lesson.

OBTW - my daughter, who is Black, has her "stars and bars" flags and towels -
Greatday ... now this is one damn good post !

Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM

185 posts, read 399,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Now wait a second. I'm a multi-generational native Californian proud of my heritage but I don't fly the original or current California bear flag here in VA and I've never seen anyone else do it either. Just curious why it's only Southern heritage that seems to bring out this "pride". Maybe it has to be the flag of an entity that fought against the United States?
Well, there doesn't seem to be alot of "northern pride" except maybe in a few areas. One of the reasons why southerners have so much pride might be because if it weren't for us the rest of the country would try to destroy all history of the south and wipe us out? Also, most southerners are of scotch-irish descent. People who have had to fight their whole lives to be what they are, so there's a good reason to have pride in where you came from and where your history lies.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
Also, most southerners are of scotch-irish descent.
No. Most are of English descent.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post

Social programs?

Well, no, actually the Federal government over-reaches its leash when it grasps power involvement in areas specifically not granted to it in the Constitution.

Bill of Rights Transcript

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-24-2010 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: typo-spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies