Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I'm not telling you what I think, I'm telling you what I've observed. Who said I fly a Confederate flag? You know what assuming does.
Well if that isn't what you think then maybe you should've attributed your quote to the correct person(s). And you're right I shouldn't have assumed that you flew that flag. Maybe confederate sympathizer would have been more appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well if that isn't what you think then maybe you should've attributed your quote to the correct person(s). And you're right I shouldn't have assumed that you flew that flag. Maybe confederate sympathizer would have been more appropriate.
Actually, saying I'm someone who is respectful of history would have been more appropriate.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Actually, saying I'm someone who is respectful of history would have been more appropriate.
The South has been a part of this nation for more than 300 years, but a flag that was part of its history for only 4 years, best describes it?

With respect to the Native Texas we learned about in 6th grade Texas Social Studies...

The Flags of France, Spain, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The US and the CSA...flew over Texas. 4 years does not make a peoples' History.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
The South has been a part of this nation for more than 300 years, but a flag that was part of its history for only 4 years, best describes it?

With respect to the Native Texas we learned about in 6th grade Texas Social Studies...

The Flags of France, Spain, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The US and the CSA...flew over Texas. 4 years does not make a peoples' History.
The Confederate Flag is not flown to best describe the South.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
The Confederate Flag is not flown to best describe the South.

Then please explain to me Sir; why is it flown?

Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Then please explain to me Sir; why is it flown?
The Confederate Flag stands for States rights and a non-Centralist form Government.

I'm sure it's flown for many other reasons, including pride for America and her history.

I know people who fly/display the flag to honor their personal family's history and involvement in the succession.

Some may fly it as a form of rebellion. Some to make a political statement.

The history of the Confederacy and the flag does still matter, though it flew a short time in history. It is not insignificant.

In an effort to not post redundant information, please see my prior posts in this thread ( #317 and #339. )

Last edited by Robinstyler; 01-27-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Are you seriously justifying whether it is okay to fly a confederate flag based on a cheesy 70's television show?
I'm suggesting that not everybody who flies the flag is racist. This is a liberal media myth that you bought hook, line, and sinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Priceless. A dumb 70's show about ignorant rednecks is proof that those who fly the rebel flag weren't racist!
That's a bizarre conclusion you've come to. My point was that not everybody who flies the rebel flag is a racist. People who overreact to it are the same ones who would call a harmless family-friendly show like the Dukes of Hazzard racist, when it reality it was far from being racist.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm suggesting that not everybody who flies the flag is racist. This is a liberal media myth that you bought hook, line, and sinker.
I wasn't the one who was trying to make a point by referencing a TV show. Is it just live action TV that you can use in making points or can you use cartoons. Bugs Bunny had a lot of violence, so I guess in your world it is okay to hit someone with a baseball bat. Bugs did it, so it must be okay. Just because something is on TV does not make it right.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I wasn't the one who was trying to make a point by referencing a TV show. Is it just live action TV that you can use in making points or can you use cartoons. Bugs Bunny had a lot of violence, so I guess in your world it is okay to hit someone with a baseball bat. Bugs did it, so it must be okay. Just because something is on TV does not make it right.
That's a pretty tenuous argument at best.

The American public should not have to change their own history so as to not offend those who either don't know it or those who choose to believe a perverted version of it.

I'm proud to be an American.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
so funny! It always makes me laugh when people say it is a "liberal" bias that Americans believe the Confederacy were racists but then find some second-rate tv program to justify their own racism. I suppose "Hee Haw" is next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies