Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times

Advertisements

Thats the great thing about this country, any person can run for President as long as you meet the qualifications. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say you have to have the experience, but where does one go to get experience as being POTUS.

In answer to your question, if the person is sincere, really sincere in serving his country instead of serving himself, I would give him a chance. If he starts to make promises of what he'll give the American people then I would be concerned. I'd like to see someone run for POTUS who is honest in what he believes in and what he says, not to just say something because it taste good at the time or thats what the people wants to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 AM

96 posts, read 270,218 times
not so sure with people like ahnuld and jesse ventura and al franken as senators and governors.
sometime this decade sylvester stallone will be elected president as an independant and his running mate paris hilton will be vp.
the yo thats hot presidency became the most popular presidency of the 21st century.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
The system is so corrupt that I don't see how this scenario could happen, although I would love it. This guy would need funding---lots of money, and even millionaires have lost past races due to various reasons and the influence of special interest.
Which is precisely the reason why the Supreme Court ruling on unlimited corporate spending on campaigns and furthering a speical interest agenda is so insane. Democratic society, my a$$.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This is very interesting to me. So we can definitely play around with scenarios.
Say this guy actually has strong following, the people are really rallying behind him, he's making numbers in the polls. Would he still have a chance or would the political powers that be still find a way to stop him dead in his tracks?

BTW girls, I'm just using "guy" as an example. Hell, it could be a girl too.
IMO....I believe this person would have some kind of chance of becoming POTUS....but to have gotten THIS far, with as much support as you are suggesting.....they would have already needed to be well financed by SOMEONE.
But....those pesky "powers-that-be" would surely find a way to stop him/her....dead in their tracks, since this person would so obviously, be going against the grain.......i.e.
their ultimate goals being achieved with their agenda of America's pre-destined course....chosen by them.....the ones who KNOW what's best for us all.
This person.....doesn't play their game.....therefore, no deal.
Not easy being their puppet.....unless you play THEIR game.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Let's just say for entertainment purposes...

Say some nobody, regular, high school educated guy comes out of the woodwork and announces a run for president. No party affiliation whatsoever. No political background either.
A guy with a lot of common sense, heart and determination. A guy that the majority of Americans can actually relate to. And no fear of political backlash due to no party loyalty. He wont care about pissing off the dems or repubs. Most of all, a regular average American who is grounded in the reality of everyday life and understands what it is like not being born with silver spoon in your ass.

Would this guy have a shot at the presidency?
IMO, no. If s/he has no party affiliation, s/he likely has no political experience. Coupled with no college degree, I don't think s/he is qualified. It's a minefield out there. What does "grounded in the reality of everyday life" mean? Works at Wal Mart? I don't really believe in "common sense"; I've heard that used to justify a lot of things I don't think are sensible. I don't think we need a total novice in the WH with his/her hand on the nuclear button.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
It will never happen. A candidate needs to be either a blue or a red to be elected President.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
IMO, no. If s/he has no party affiliation, s/he likely has no political experience. Coupled with no college degree, I don't think s/he is qualified. It's a minefield out there. What does "grounded in the reality of everyday life" mean? Works at Wal Mart? I don't really believe in "common sense"; I've heard that used to justify a lot of things I don't think are sensible. I don't think we need a total novice in the WH with his/her hand on the nuclear button.
But we already have a total novice in the WH.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
But we already have a total novice in the WH.
He has way more experience than this "Joe the Plumber" type the OP described has. Nice way to take a thoughtful post and mock it with no contribution to the thread whatsoever.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Let's just say for entertainment purposes...

Say some nobody, regular, high school educated guy comes out of the woodwork and announces a run for president. No party affiliation whatsoever. No political background either.
A guy with a lot of common sense, heart and determination. A guy that the majority of Americans can actually relate to. And no fear of political backlash due to no party loyalty. He wont care about pissing off the dems or repubs. Most of all, a regular average American who is grounded in the reality of everyday life and understands what it is like not being born with silver spoon in your ass.

Would this guy have a shot at the presidency?
No. Not a chance in the world.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No he would not. The reason is he would have no Party backing him, meaning money, both of the other two Parties would fight him tooth and nail, and many would not vote for him simply because with a Party in Congress to back him up he would be a lame duck from day one.
Casper

I believe your are so RIGHT. Are you kidding! the other 2 parties would be fighting him tooth and nail all right. I don't think he would get any backing, at all, and he would be a lame duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies