Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times

Advertisements

U.S. intelligence briefing: Taliban increasingly effective - CNN.com

US intelligence makes 3 points of which I would like to respond too.

According to the briefing, the insurgency can now sustain itself indefinitely because of three factors:

• The increased availability of bomb-making technology and material
Where are they getting it from? Seems ODD for us to be winning the war and they seem to KEEP getting their hands on bomb making technology and materials.

• The Taliban's access to two major funding streams, one from the opium trade and the other from overseas donations from Muslim countries, which reach the Taliban by courier or through a system of informal banks known as "hawalas" that operate across much of the Islamic world
If the we cant stop the funding how do we expect to win this war. Seems to me they found a way around the banking issue by using their own banks of which we have no say over. I dont think that will make the OTHER muslim countries happy if we start monitoring and or shuting them down.

• The Taliban's continuing ability to recruit foot soldiers based on the perception that they "retain the religious high-ground," and factors such as poverty and tribal friction.
Again recuitment is easy since this is a religious situtation and I dont think nation building and schools are going to fix that anytime soon. Basically you hope to get the next generation and brainwash them FIRST before the other religious nuts get to them. In fact the more schools we build I can see how easy in a few years access to kids minds the islamic terrorist will have.

The moral of the story is the Taliban is not going way they arent going to stop and they have plenty of money and resources and MEN to continue the fight. DO we?
Its time to change course and let them have their crazy nation. No nation building and get the hell out of the middle east all together. Let them rot in the hell they breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
You actually believe we're in Afghanistan to obliterate the Taliban and Al-Qaeda? It's all about the TAPS.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
U.S. intelligence briefing: Taliban increasingly effective - CNN.com

US intelligence makes 3 points of which I would like to respond too.

According to the briefing, the insurgency can now sustain itself indefinitely because of three factors:

• The increased availability of bomb-making technology and material
Where are they getting it from? Seems ODD for us to be winning the war and they seem to KEEP getting their hands on bomb making technology and materials.

• The Taliban's access to two major funding streams, one from the opium trade and the other from overseas donations from Muslim countries, which reach the Taliban by courier or through a system of informal banks known as "hawalas" that operate across much of the Islamic world
If the we cant stop the funding how do we expect to win this war. Seems to me they found a way around the banking issue by using their own banks of which we have no say over. I dont think that will make the OTHER muslim countries happy if we start monitoring and or shuting them down.

• The Taliban's continuing ability to recruit foot soldiers based on the perception that they "retain the religious high-ground," and factors such as poverty and tribal friction.
Again recuitment is easy since this is a religious situtation and I dont think nation building and schools are going to fix that anytime soon. Basically you hope to get the next generation and brainwash them FIRST before the other religious nuts get to them. In fact the more schools we build I can see how easy in a few years access to kids minds the islamic terrorist will have.

The moral of the story is the Taliban is not going way they arent going to stop and they have plenty of money and resources and MEN to continue the fight. DO we?
Its time to change course and let them have their crazy nation. No nation building and get the hell out of the middle east all together. Let them rot in the hell they breed.
Sounds good to me.

Silencing them could be very easy....if only we would send a few nukes zippin their way......I mean....a clear message to 'em.

I mean......all of our nuclear warheads shouldn't be collecting dust in silos, for nothing. They were built for a REASON.....and "testing" them on a few places that hate us anyway, would be good for this planet, IMO.

Besides.......don't we have the RIGHT to see how well the best of our best war toys.....works? We paid for 'em.....a LOT!
Let's fire off a few.......and start a new kind of July 4th celebration with the biggest and baddest fireworks that money can buy!

If the show is really good......let's fire off some more.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
It is ODD for me to agree with a L&JFA.

Get out and get out now. I would live to see the Saudi Royals response to the Taliban besides paying them off.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,293 times
Another tactic at dealing with them that would work really well, IMO......bring in tens of thousands of PIGS into the region, make sure that ALL of our troops' ammo has been thoroughly dipped in pig's blood and FORCE them all to eat pork, if captured.

NOTHING but pork.

They'll surrender sooner than later...if we go this road.
I dunno. They sure wouldn't like it, I bet.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
I really believe the answer, as sick as it sounds, is to Napalm the Opium fields in Afghanistan. That is their source of money that pays for weapons technology and this that and the other thing. I believe I saw a figure that said 85-90% of the world's Heroin comes from Afghanistan.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I really believe the answer, as sick as it sounds, is to Napalm the Opium fields in Afghanistan. That is their source of money that pays for weapons technology and this that and the other thing. I believe I saw a figure that said 85-90% of the world's Heroin comes from Afghanistan.
Indeed. Heroin has been the #1 revenue source for terrorist organizations in Afghanistan for decades. Most of it is smuggled into and through Russia to European customers. The Taliban banned opium production in their part of the country in the 90s, but they had no control over the region held by the Northern Alliance. I am amazed that we have not been able to control the production of opiates despite our occupation of the country.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 PM

731 posts, read 776,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Indeed. Heroin has been the #1 revenue source for terrorist organizations in Afghanistan for decades. Most of it is smuggled into and through Russia to European customers. The Taliban banned opium production in their part of the country in the 90s, but they had no control over the region held by the Northern Alliance. I am amazed that we have not been able to control the production of opiates despite our occupation of the country.
Frankie117, the sad thing is that the US/NATO lied to the west for 8 years about their success in Afghanistan, but in reality it was the opposite, life for the ordinary Afghan just got worse, nothing improved, the country moved backward instead of moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies