Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Some gay people feel like they have no other way out, unfortunately
I've considered it. It destroys my sense of worth as a human being when my family tells me they wish I would get aids, that God hates me and has a special place in hell for me, they call me a ****** every time they talk to me, and tell me I have no future and am bound for a life of misery and death. They tell me I can change if I just pray and if I try to show them science they will accuse me of working for Satan. My mom actually told me when she talks to me she feels like she is talking to Satan himself. Most gay people don't have it near as bad as I do but I am sure there are others out there and I can totally understand why gay teens in extremist families would want to kill themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I know of some gays that have changed their sexual orientation. What may seem impossible for you does not make it impossible.
Haha. I don't believe you for a second. But I'll humor you. When did these gays you know decide to become gay? Why the decision to transition from heterosexual to homosexual? What was the process? Did all of them succeed?

As far as I'm concerned, straights can't become gay any more than gays can become straight. Your sexuality is what your sexuality is.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
I do believe that gay people can turn themselves straight again. It may be difficult, but it's not impossible.
No doubt there's lots of "prayer involved"

Yawn.

Precisely what the Religious Right would like their flock to believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Pg22ow1e8

Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,037 times
I agree with others who believe that people can be reeducated to be whatever they want to be...I dont buy for one second that being gay is biological...I read that there is no such thing as a gay gene...and in separate articles Ive read that being gay can be a result of culture, emotional trauma and other non biological factors..additionally, I have read that everyone is bisexual to some degree, whether they confront it or not..so Im just not buying that some people are born inherently straight nor inherently gay..especially since some straight people live as homosexuals and some gay people live as heterosexuals.

Whatever, either way, I dont care what people want to do...if someone is more comfortable being gay then so be it..I hope they are as equally happy in their relationships as any straight person..

Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I agree with others who believe that people can be reeducated to be whatever they want to be...I dont buy for one second that being gay is biological...I read that there is no such thing as a gay gene...and in separate articles Ive read that being gay can be a result of culture, emotional trauma and other non biological factors..additionally, I have read that everyone is bisexual to some degree, whether they confront it or not..so Im just not buying that some people are born inherently straight nor inherently gay..especially since some straight people live as homosexuals and some gay people live as heterosexuals.

Whatever, either way, I dont care what people want to do...if someone is more comfortable being gay then so be it..I hope they are as equally happy in their relationships as any straight person..
Wow. You seem really educated on the subject. End of discussion guys.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
So you completely reject the overwhelming science on sexual orientation. Okay. Your choice.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I know of some gays that have changed their sexual orientation. What may seem impossible for you does not make it impossible.
Yes some homosexuals or bisexuals will choose to try to live in heterosexual relationships because of the self-hatred taught by church groups or lack of acceptance etc... but that doesn't change their orientation, just their outward behaviour.

Do you realise that there are physiological differences between heterosexuals and homosexuals? That's not something a person can change.

How Homosexuals Are Different (http://isocrat.org/science/causes/differences.php - broken link)

Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So you completely reject the overwhelming science on sexual orientation. Okay. Your choice.

No, I accept the overwhelming science Ive read on sexual orientation...as you say, and much like sexual orientation, my choice..lol

Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 AM

Here's the latest report from the American Psychological Association on "re-education" or sexual orientation change efforts:

American Psychological Association (2009 report)

Quote:
The task force conducted a systematic review of the peer-reviewed journal literature on sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE) and concluded that efforts to change sexual orientation are unlikely to be successful and involve some risk of harm, contrary to the claims of SOCE practitioners and advocates.

Even though the research and clinical literature demonstrate that same-sex sexual and romantic attractions, feelings, and behaviors are normal and positive variations of human sexuality, regardless of sexual orientation identity, the task force concluded that the population that undergoes SOCE tends to have strongly conservative religious views that lead them to seek to change their sexual orientation.

Thus, the appropriate application of affirmative therapeutic interventions for those who seek SOCE involves therapist acceptance, support, and understanding of clients and the facilitation of clients’ active coping, social support, and identity exploration and development, without imposing a specific sexual orientation identity outcome.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
I can answer this as a gay person. I do not believe that childhood molestation in any way "determines" one's sexuality.
It's another of those myths that religious based anti-gay groups like to throw around. Although I do believe that some children who are "different" can make perfect targets for child molestors.

I've met a women who was sexually abused as a child who calls herself a lesbian and associates with lesbians, but actually has no physical or sexual attraction to women-she just can't trust men because of her experiences as a child. This does happen, but is far from typical.

There are lots of myths and misinformation being spread by anti-gay (usually religious based) groups that have no basis in fact.

Other myths from religious based sites like TraditionalValues.org or Family Research Council or NARTH is that homosexuality is caused by a distant father or over protective mother. Or that homosexuals are more likely to be pedophiles etc. NONE of these myths have any studies to support them. A common tactic I've noticed from some of these sites seems to be to quote from genuine studies but completely misrepresent the data or conclusions.

I've read some shockingly bigoted, ignorant and blatantly false or misleading "information" on some of these websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies