Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,180 times

Advertisements

Okay... didn't spend a second listening or reading this thread...

But I suppose Bush caused all the fall out that is claimed....

So then, what did Bush inherit???

Ask not what Bush inherited but ask what Obama will leave to your progeny!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Bush leveraged $350 Billion of the $700 Billion in TARP funds, and purposely left the remaining half to be quashed by his successor, or to spend it if needed.

Both President's should get equal credit/blame.
Fair. I completely agree that both deserve blame.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Good point and lets not forget this little tidbit.

"The bill was a bipartisan effort, with 40 Democrats, 33 Republicans and independent Joe Lieberman of Connecticut voting for it. The two presidential nominees, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain, returned from the campaign trail to vote for the plan."

Bailout Bill Sent Back to House After Senate Passage (Update2) - Bloomberg.com
Thank you. You are exactly right and thats my point. This waste was not a bush only club. It was a bi-partisan spendfest.
Oh and lets not forget that many who voted for it later admitted to not even reading what they were voting for. In other words they voted because their party told them too.
Identical twins. The rhetoric is the only difference.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Good point and lets not forget this little tidbit.

"The bill was a bipartisan effort, with 40 Democrats, 33 Republicans and independent Joe Lieberman of Connecticut voting for it. The two presidential nominees, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain, returned from the campaign trail to vote for the plan."

Bailout Bill Sent Back to House After Senate Passage (Update2) - Bloomberg.com
Every damn one of them ought to be replaced too.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I disagreed when Bush did and I disagreed when Obama did it. The problem is when people make the claim that Bush ruined the country especially when Obama has changed little of what Bush did.

One of your posts in a different thread was one of the several recent posts on this matter that prompted me to write this. You said Obama was to blame for AIG and Bush was not. Is that not revisionist?

I'm not arguing about whether Obama is or isn't changing what Bush did. What I'm trying to figure out is why the sudden misinformation campaign that is trying to pin the whole of the TARP to Obama.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why do these threads always seem to leave out the fact that a democrat controled congress passed the bills in the first place?
Its almost as if the OP's intentionally ignore the fact.
Oh let me guess Bush lied to them and tricked them into writing this waste.
I'm not ignoring that fact at all. I've consistently been against the bailouts since last summer. You can search my previous post from then if you want and you'll find I'm consistent about it. The three page "bill" was rushed through in what at this point was probably the last "bi-partisan" vote we've had.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
One of your posts in a different thread was one of the several recent posts on this matter that prompted me to write this. You said Obama was to blame for AIG and Bush was not. Is that not revisionist?

I'm not arguing about whether Obama is or isn't changing what Bush did. What I'm trying to figure out is why the sudden misinformation campaign that is trying to pin the whole of the TARP to Obama.
Look no further than the ruling party for your answers. They voted for it including Obama. Let them answer honestly as to why they did it and why they didn't restrict TARP funds from being used for bonus pay outs.
Bush is long gone. But those who voted for the bill are still in power.
So Obama does own a share of the blame.....

Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I'm not ignoring that fact at all. I've consistently been against the bailouts since last summer. You can search my previous post from then if you want and you'll find I'm consistent about it. The three page "bill" was rushed through in what at this point was probably the last "bi-partisan" vote we've had.
Then are you also against those in power who whole heartedly agreed with the bill enough to vote for it? Those who actually helped to write it?
I too was and am against the buyouts. More to the point I hold those in power accountable for it. I do not accept the premise that Bush was President so the fault went with him when he left office.
Who led the democrat led congress? That would be Pelosi.. She deserves as much credit as Bush.

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Every damn one of them ought to be replaced too.

It looks like they may be.

1,067 posts, read 1,999,180 times
TARP bailed out the bankers...

Thankfully the health insurers haven't yet been bailed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies