Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:13 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been sick as a dog the past 5 days, presumably with the flu, which has completely sapped my energy, my appetite, and any motivation to do anything other than lay in the bed. Just miserable.

Interestingly, I have health insurance, and I chose not to go to the doctor. It would seem that I would want to utilize my insurance since I have reasonable co-payments, good coverage, and I would likely get an appointment right away. Not to mention, I do pay monthly premiums.

So why didn't I go?

Because I refuse to be a burden on the system even though I have a very legitmate reason to go. I am of the opinion that going to see a doctor should be the action of last resort, not the first thing that comes to mind. Part of the problem with our healthcare system is that it is abused at every level. On one hand, you've got the perpetually "sick" showing up at the family doctor for every little sniffle, and on the other hand you've got those who show up at the emergency room without insurance but only need a Tylenol or a Band-Aid. Both forms of abuse overburden the system financially and logistically.

I refuse to believe that universal healthcare will not lead to increased financial burden on this country. If everyone were covered by health insurance, is it not reasonable to believe that more people would use the doctor than ever before? The costs incurred could make the current abuses seem minor.

I recognize that I am an anomaly, and my philosophy is not all that common. Most people in my position would have already been to the doctor. I choose to be a responsible American by using the doctor as a last resort. I certainly don't see this philosophy taking root if universal health insurance ever comes to fruition. In fact, I believe the exact opposite will occur.

What side are you on?
Medically speaking I think that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
AeroGuyDC - yes it is safe. Don't believe the naysayers. If you get some cheap colloidal silver or try to make your own and can't get the solution down to 10ppms then if you drink five gallons of the homemade/cheap version, the worst thing that can happen is your skin turns bluish.

With the quality stuff, the particles are so small they only stay in your system a few hours before they are washed away. That is why you are supposed to take it 3 times a day. Natural-Immunogenics

Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM

446 posts, read 831,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Y I have never heard of any movement to sell OTC otoscopes. What good would that do?
Oh yeah...they were right there with the tympanic thermometers. All I could do was shake my head and picture some frantic new mom sticking that thing in her newborn's ear.

I didn't hear if they actually took them off the market or what. Come to think of it I haven't seem them in a while. I hope they did get them out of the public's hands because it can't lead to ANYTHING good. Gee, I wonder if it came with a mini version of "How to Dx an Ear infection in 3 easy steps" !

Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
One time, my mom took me to the hospital with me kicking and screaming because I had a little bit of a sore throat and my lungs hurt just a bit. Turned out to be VERY lowgrade pnemonia. Also turns out, I had a bit of an enlarged spleen that had gone unnoticed. The next year I was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder that I NEVER would have been diagnosed with if I hadn't gone to the doctor that day.

2 years ago I was forced into the hospital by my sister and boyfriend even though I fought the whole way. Turns out, I was going into shock AND sepsis due to a blood infection. I went downhill FAST and ended up spending almost 2 weeks in the hospital and 5 months on disability getting over it.

Yes, some people 'abuse' the system... but sometimes the smallest things can be an underlying cause for something much, much larger.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
Oh yeah...they were right there with the tympanic thermometers. All I could do was shake my head and picture some frantic new mom sticking that thing in her newborn's ear.

I didn't hear if they actually took them off the market or what. Come to think of it I haven't seem them in a while. I hope they did get them out of the public's hands because it can't lead to ANYTHING good. Gee, I wonder if it came with a mini version of "How to Dx an Ear infection in 3 easy steps" !
ROFL, that reminds of that celebrity couple (I forget who) that bought an ultrasound machine for home use when they were expecting. Wonder if that came with an idiots guide to ultrasonography? lol

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been sick as a dog the past 5 days, presumably with the flu, which has completely sapped my energy, my appetite, and any motivation to do anything other than lay in the bed. Just miserable.

Interestingly, I have health insurance, and I chose not to go to the doctor. It would seem that I would want to utilize my insurance since I have reasonable co-payments, good coverage, and I would likely get an appointment right away. Not to mention, I do pay monthly premiums.

So why didn't I go?

Because I refuse to be a burden on the system even though I have a very legitmate reason to go. I am of the opinion that going to see a doctor should be the action of last resort, not the first thing that comes to mind. Part of the problem with our healthcare system is that it is abused at every level. On one hand, you've got the perpetually "sick" showing up at the family doctor for every little sniffle, and on the other hand you've got those who show up at the emergency room without insurance but only need a Tylenol or a Band-Aid. Both forms of abuse overburden the system financially and logistically.

I refuse to believe that universal healthcare will not lead to increased financial burden on this country. If everyone were covered by health insurance, is it not reasonable to believe that more people would use the doctor than ever before? The costs incurred could make the current abuses seem minor.

I recognize that I am an anomaly, and my philosophy is not all that common. Most people in my position would have already been to the doctor. I choose to be a responsible American by using the doctor as a last resort. I certainly don't see this philosophy taking root if universal health insurance ever comes to fruition. In fact, I believe the exact opposite will occur.

What side are you on?
how would you be a burden if you have health insurance, and you are actually sick? I don't actually find your choice all that odd, only your reasoning why. I had the flu and didn't go to the doctor. It is a virus. There isn't much they can do, and I was too sick to get out of bed and go. How is being a "responsible American" to only go to the doc as a last resort? If anything, it is irresponsible because you may end up needing more care, the longer you wait (like if it turns into pneumonia, or something, and you have to go to the hospital). I don't understand your reasoning.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
AeroGuyDC - yes it is safe. Don't believe the naysayers. If you get some cheap colloidal silver or try to make your own and can't get the solution down to 10ppms then if you drink five gallons of the homemade/cheap version, the worst thing that can happen is your skin turns bluish.

With the quality stuff, the particles are so small they only stay in your system a few hours before they are washed away. That is why you are supposed to take it 3 times a day. Natural-Immunogenics
Yeah...where is the FDA info to back this up? You know.....these "Natural" products aren't regulated, at all. Melatonin, for example, is usually packaged at 3 times the recommended dose. What makes you so sure it's safe? Why would you risk it? Are you risking it because people you know have been ok on it? Are you risking it because, SO FAR nothing has happened to you?

Time will tell, I spose....but I wouldn't risk my life, my health, my ANYTHING to crap that lines the shelves of the "Natural" section.

If I have to take a prescription I am all over my books and the web making sure I know, without a DOUBT, what the risks are and what the side effects are. Do you know, without a DOUBT what the risks of colloidal silver are? I doubt it..........

Old 01-26-2010, 01:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yes, my kids have had ear infections before, and yes I'm fully aware of what an otoscope is. I'm an audiologist I have never heard of any movement to sell OTC otoscopes. What good would that do? Unless it is an acute infection with obvious inflammation of the TM, what is there to see. Perforations would be accompanied by drainage. There are many cases of effusion without inflammation (fluid without infection). I would even venture to say that a large percentage of pediatricians misdiagnose otitis media without the use of tympanometry. Even the pneumatic otoscopes aren't all that great. The pressure fluctuations they create are too great to adequately assess TM compliance.

Regardless, even in acute cases of OM, it is impossible to determine if it is a bacterial or viral infection. My own pediatrician's office no longer prescribes antibiotics for ear infections only, and there is a large push nationwide to limit the overprescribing of antibiotics.
The office where I work does not routinely prescribe ABs, either. It depends on a lot of things.

See below re: OTC otoscopes. I am talking probably at least 10-15 years ago. Walgreen's sold them. A few parents brought them in to the immunization clinc where I was working at the time, for help in learning how to use them. The quality sucked, to say the least. I don't think they were exactly taken off the market, they just didn't fly b/c they were essentially worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
how would you be a burden if you have health insurance, and you are actually sick? I don't actually find your choice all that odd, only your reasoning why. I had the flu and didn't go to the doctor. It is a virus. There isn't much they can do, and I was too sick to get out of bed and go. How is being a "responsible American" to only go to the doc as a last resort? If anything, it is irresponsible because you may end up needing more care, the longer you wait (like if it turns into pneumonia, or something, and you have to go to the hospital). I don't understand your reasoning.
I beg to differ. Viruses are very curable --just not using orthodox methods. Don't take my word for it. Just do a search on-line for "natural anti-virals".

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

I HAD to make a separate post for this. DID YOU KNOW THAT WHEN YOUR SKIN TURNS "BLUISH" IT IS IRREVERSIBLE????????????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies