Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been sick as a dog the past 5 days, presumably with the flu, which has completely sapped my energy, my appetite, and any motivation to do anything other than lay in the bed. Just miserable.

Interestingly, I have health insurance, and I chose not to go to the doctor. It would seem that I would want to utilize my insurance since I have reasonable co-payments, good coverage, and I would likely get an appointment right away. Not to mention, I do pay monthly premiums.

So why didn't I go?

Because I refuse to be a burden on the system even though I have a very legitmate reason to go. I am of the opinion that going to see a doctor should be the action of last resort, not the first thing that comes to mind. Part of the problem with our healthcare system is that it is abused at every level. On one hand, you've got the perpetually "sick" showing up at the family doctor for every little sniffle, and on the other hand you've got those who show up at the emergency room without insurance but only need a Tylenol or a Band-Aid. Both forms of abuse overburden the system financially and logistically.

I refuse to believe that universal healthcare will not lead to increased financial burden on this country. If everyone were covered by health insurance, is it not reasonable to believe that more people would use the doctor than ever before? The costs incurred could make the current abuses seem minor.

I recognize that I am an anomaly, and my philosophy is not all that common. Most people in my position would have already been to the doctor. I choose to be a responsible American by using the doctor as a last resort. I certainly don't see this philosophy taking root if universal health insurance ever comes to fruition. In fact, I believe the exact opposite will occur.

What side are you on?

Same here.

I avoid doctors like the plague! I'm mostly afraid of what they are going to tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The office where I work does not routinely prescribe ABs, either. It depends on a lot of things.

See below re: OTC otoscopes. I am talking probably at least 10-15 years ago. Walgreen's sold them. A few parents brought them in to the immunization clinc where I was working at the time, for help in learning how to use them. The quality sucked, to say the least. I don't think they were exactly taken off the market, they just didn't fly b/c they were essentially worthless.
I'll stick with Welch Allyn and hope that those others have died out of the market lol!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I'll bite. Do you personally know anyone who works in the healthcare industry? If so, have you spoken with them about the number of people who DO abuse the system?

You may change your mind once you see how rampant it really is.

Speaking of bunk arguments, the elderly and children are generally covered under government-provided insurance.
what difference does that make re this thread? The OP is about not going to the doc even though you have insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I beg to differ. Viruses are very curable --just not using orthodox methods.
meaning the general practice doctor is not going to do anything for you if it is only a virus. If I start to suspect it is an infection, that is when I'll go to the doctor.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
Yeah...where is the FDA info to back this up? You know.....these "Natural" products aren't regulated, at all. Melatonin, for example, is usually packaged at 3 times the recommended dose. What makes you so sure it's safe? Why would you risk it? Are you risking it because people you know have been ok on it? Are you risking it because, SO FAR nothing has happened to you?

Time will tell, I spose....but I wouldn't risk my life, my health, my ANYTHING to crap that lines the shelves of the "Natural" section.

If I have to take a prescription I am all over my books and the web making sure I know, without a DOUBT, what the risks are and what the side effects are. Do you know, without a DOUBT what the risks of colloidal silver are? I doubt it..........
How many drugs have been recalled by the FDA that were deemed "safe" by them in the first place? I don't trust FDA approved drugs anymore than the natural products. Both need to be under the same scrutiny by consumers.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,394 times
I wonder how the people of the past survived without health insurance at any level?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

626 posts, read 992,893 times
Quote:
I've been sick as a dog the past 5 days, presumably with the flu, which has completely sapped my energy, my appetite, and any motivation to do anything other than lay in the bed. Just miserable.

Interestingly, I have health insurance, and I chose not to go to the doctor. It would seem that I would want to utilize my insurance since I have reasonable co-payments, good coverage, and I would likely get an appointment right away. Not to mention, I do pay monthly premiums.

So why didn't I go?

Because I refuse to be a burden on the system even though I have a very legitmate reason to go. I am of the opinion that going to see a doctor should be the action of last resort, not the first thing that comes to mind. Part of the problem with our healthcare system is that it is abused at every level. On one hand, you've got the perpetually "sick" showing up at the family doctor for every little sniffle, and on the other hand you've got those who show up at the emergency room without insurance but only need a Tylenol or a Band-Aid. Both forms of abuse overburden the system financially and logistically.

I refuse to believe that universal healthcare will not lead to increased financial burden on this country. If everyone were covered by health insurance, is it not reasonable to believe that more people would use the doctor than ever before? The costs incurred could make the current abuses seem minor.

I recognize that I am an anomaly, and my philosophy is not all that common. Most people in my position would have already been to the doctor. I choose to be a responsible American by using the doctor as a last resort. I certainly don't see this philosophy taking root if universal health insurance ever comes to fruition. In fact, I believe the exact opposite will occur.

What side are you on?
You, sir, are a model American. But I can one-up you. Last year, I broke my arm (humerus) skiing. I drove myself home and refused to burden the health care system with my minor problem. Therefore, I consider myself to be the Greatest American. Yay me!

Disclaimer: Most of the story is true. I drove myself home...driving a stick with a broken right arm is exciting. But I eventually did see a doctor and got an X-ray, then went home when the doctor told me they could do nothing for the break. That was the first time I had seen a doctor for any condition since birth. I'm awesomer than AeroGuyDC.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
I wonder how the people of the past survived without health insurance at any level?
Yeah, let's go back to the "good old days", not! Kids dying of what are now vaccine-preventable disease, adults dying of diseases such as cervical cancer, breast cancer, heart disease, etc, that are now able to be detected earlier, in more curable stages, and so forth. This stuff costs money!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:

So why didn't I go?

What side are you on?
If your illness developed into something more serious because you failed to seek treatment, it will be more expensive treating you. This is why the uninsured faces hefty medical bills - because they could not afford to seek treatment for their conditions and their conditions got progressively worse.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
There was a going around that a lot of people I know caught including myself. I stuck it out and I am now healthy, my friend's wife went to the doctor and got anti-biotics.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Very good point. Like most everything else American, health insurance has devolved into something along the lines of Keeping Up With the Jones's. I'm pretty sure my eldest relatives lived through the Depression and other hard periods of American history without health insurance. But, for some reason, today everyone feels that they MUST have it or else they feel deprived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies