Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
I wonder how the people of the past survived without health insurance at any level?
they paid with chickens and the doctor took whatever he could get. Should we go back to that system? Oh, and a lot of people died...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Wrong. You don't need an HIV test. But you do need someone to put the whole story together to make sure that your symptoms are in fact from the flu and not from acute HIV. Are you now advocating that people diagnose themselves? How many people actually know what the symptoms flu are? People who think they have flu often have the common cold, while those with common cold actually have the flu. Do you think the Republicans and conservatives are smart enough to make such distinctions?
Did I bring up HIV? No you did... if you bring in HIV, then you might as well bring in everything... how about you leave the professionals to their job and shut up? That be quite a feat for a liberal...

Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
If you cannot prove it, statistically, perhaps your perspective is flawed. If you reject that possibility, then you're not here to discuss, but to preach.
Sometimes, real life tells you more than the guy down the hall with a pocket protector and the latest-greatest calculator.

If your argument is to simply ignore what the rest of of the world knows is fact, statistics or not, then i'd reconcile there's no further reason to debate with you.

Like you, I generally want to see statistics as well. But I think through common reasoning you should be able to understand the point that is being made. This coming from someone who uses statistics to the nth degree in his everyday work (minus the pocket protector)

Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I still don't see the OP's logic. A PP poster said they spend $300/month on insurance. Someone said the insurance co would pay that much for one office visit. I disagree. The statements I get indicate an office visit payment of closer to $100 usually. In any case, I still don't see the logic.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You consistently miss the point. I'm seeing a pattern here.

The point is that if everyone weren't so quick to go see a doctor, part of our broken healthcare system could be remedied very easily.
I agree. If our population were to take the very simple steps to avoid most of the diseases they get, they would not have a need to use the Health Care system nearly as much. The problem there is, how do you get people to do this?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
How many drugs have been recalled by the FDA that were deemed "safe" by them in the first place? I don't trust FDA approved drugs anymore than the natural products. Both need to be under the same scrutiny by consumers.
People need to understand that the purpose of the FDA is first and foremost NOT to protect consumers but to support BIG FOOD and BIG PHARMA. That is why it is called the FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION and not the American Consumer Safety council.

Their purpose is to get products of food and drug companies to market as fast as possible so the companies can start making as much MONEY as possible pushing them on us (dumb American suckers). Testing for safety is paid for by the companies themselves so OF COURSE the test results are going to be favorable and say the product is safe.

I trust natural products a heck of a lot more because they come from NATURE. Nature is SAFE.

Puppets for the medical establishment like Dr Dean Adelle on the radio will say that drugs are safe and come from nature but they are MANIPULATED SO MUCH BY MAN there is no resemblance to anything in nature by the time they get done.

Prescription drugs simply are NOT safe and neither are many over the counter drugs. If they were they wouldn't have inserts describing hundreds of possible side effects. As far as I'm concerned, they should be taken as a last resort only -- not like CANDY! Furthermore it is common knowledge or should be that there are over 100,000 deaths EVERY YEAR in our country of people that die from complications of their prescriptions that were being taken AS PRESCRIBED BY THEIR DOCTOR.

There isn't even a solitary death every year from people taking natural supplements as prescribed. The only deaths where natural supplements were blamed were when they conflicted with drugs the person had been taking and the person taking them didn't disclose everything they were taking to their doctor.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:12 PM

626 posts, read 993,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sometimes, real life tells you more than the guy down the hall with a pocket protector and the latest-greatest calculator.
So you choose anecdotal evidence over more robust statistical evidence.

Quote:
If your argument is to simply ignore what the rest of of the world knows is fact, statistics or not, then i'd reconcile there's no further reason to debate with you.
What the rest of the world knows? Do you have any way to prove this is what "the rest of the world knows"?

Quote:
This coming from someone who uses statistics to the nth degree in his everyday work (minus the pocket protector)
For some reason, I doubt that you actually use statistics, especially given your dislike of intellectuals.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
There isn't even a solitary death every year from people taking natural supplements as prescribed
That's quite a statement. Proof? I've always been under the impression that ANYTHING can lead to death under the right circumstances. And since neither you or I know the conditions of everyones body (sometimes they don't either) I'm going to have to say you are wrong.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 PM

626 posts, read 993,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I agree. If our population were to take the very simple steps to avoid most of the diseases they get, they would not have a need to use the Health Care system nearly as much. The problem there is, how do you get people to do this?
The way you get people to do that is to stress preventative care (like the NHS in Britain). The problem with this is that the poor are far more likely than those with greater wealth or income to pay for preventative care out of pocket (they choose to put it off). The only way to get the poor to actually get all the preventative care they need is for it to be subsidized. If you don't do this, the poor will continue to use the ER for primary care.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Wrong. You don't need an HIV test. But you do need someone to put the whole story together to make sure that your symptoms are in fact from the flu and not from acute HIV. Are you now advocating that people diagnose themselves? How many people actually know what the symptoms flu are? People who think they have flu often have the common cold, while those with common cold actually have the flu. Do you think the Republicans and conservatives are smart enough to make such distinctions?
Uh ... If they are medically trained medical professionals they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies