Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times

Advertisements

My biggest gripe with the Obama administration is that they didn't take the opportunity of the bailouts to put restrictions on the ability of Wall Street and the big banks to take unreasonable risk with OUR money.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,039,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, a year later and you are still banging on the drum no one cares about.

Everyone already figured this out long before the first post, it's old news.

I hate the Tea Party, but that doesn't mean every wanker who dislikes them as well is my friend.
You claim to not care but yet you seem to care enough to post on this thread.

Look I don't give a damn about some ambivalent stalkers' feelings about me.

Nobody's putting a gun to your head to read my post, so listen to me now and listen to me well.

I don't care if you were to drop off the face of the earth and all traces of you were obliterated from existence, so either get off my sac or get a freakin' life, comprende?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My biggest gripe with the Obama administration is that they didn't take the opportunity of the bailouts to put restrictions on the ability of Wall Street and the big banks to take unreasonable risk with OUR money.
Its only gonna get worse. I hear the Obama administration is planning on raising 2 billion dollars for the 2012 campaign.

I've said it before and will say it again, if Americans want change we need
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
One simple solution that for some reason people always ignore.

Public,....., Campaign,......, Finance,......., Reform,......., NOW!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
Quote:
Perfectly understandable grievance. Yet I have yet to hear a peep from the Tea Party members on the SCOTUS ruling that basically equates corporate political campaign ads to the 1st Amendment Right Of Free Speech. Thus freeing corporations to spend as much money as they deem fit to support (or attack) a candidate of their choosing.
Oh god I have the feeling you think you were brilliant here.

First I agree that corporate types who are at least a USA branch should have the right to get involved in ads just as the unions have. See no problem at all.
As long as there isn't as an example Chinese money coming into campaigns as there was under Clinton Gore then we are getting it right.

Tea Party people (who are both Republicans and Democrats by the way) don't like seeing a waste of our taxpayer money, so they don't like the throwing of good money after bad in bail outs or seeing taxpayer dollars being swept up by government unions in sweetheart deals and then seeing them bribe politicians to give them billions back. That is how it goes and is more practical than anything else.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
You claim to not care but yet you seem to care enough to post on this thread.

Look I don't give a damn about some ambivalent stalkers' feelings about me.

Nobody's putting a gun to your head to read my post, so listen to me now and listen to me well.

I don't care if you were to drop off the face of the earth and all traces of you were obliterated from existence, so either get off my sac or get a freakin' life, comprende?

Its only gonna get worse. I hear the Obama administration is planning on raising 2 billion dollars for the 2012 campaign.

I've said it before and will say it again, if Americans want change we need
Do you think the TEA PARTY is going to fix this? You've got to be kidding me. I'm a R, and even I don't believe that. They came into power on corporate bucks, and they're strangely silent on this one--I wonder why? I'm disgusted with both sides at this point.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Oh god I have the feeling you think you were brilliant here.
Those are your words, not mine, just stating the facts buddy.

Quote:
First I agree that corporate types who are at least a USA branch should have the right to get involved in ads just as the unions have. See no problem at all.
I agree that corporations that operate have a right to involve themselves in politics just like the unions. But unless you're living in an alternate reality, you should know that a bus driver's union has no where near the influence a multinational like Goldman Sacs does.

Quote:
As long as there isn't as an example Chinese money coming into campaigns as there was under Clinton Gore then we are getting it right.
Funny, 'cause Alito doesn't seem to agree with you.

Quote:
Tea Party people (who are both Republicans and Democrats by the way) don't like seeing a waste of our taxpayer money, so they don't like the throwing of good money after bad in bail outs or seeing taxpayer dollars being swept up by government unions in sweetheart deals and then seeing them bribe politicians to give them billions back. That is how it goes and is more practical than anything else.
You say you don't like bribery yet you are defending multinationals increased (and legalized) ability to influence politicians to do their bidding? Guess subhuman not the only ambivalent one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you think the TEA PARTY is going to fix this? You've got to be kidding me. I'm a R, and even I don't believe that. They came into power on corporate bucks, and they're strangely silent on this one--I wonder why? I'm disgusted with both sides at this point.
mb, only the bottom part of my post that you just quoted was in response to you. And no I don't think the tea party alone is going to fix this. Really I would like them to address this issue of Citizen United. I would like it if Fox News, MSNBC and the other major media outlets likewise would address this issue. Eventually there has to be a national discussion on whether Americans are okay with the nation being up for sale to the highest bidder.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm very curious to see how this will all play out.

Especially since this is not only a state taking on the fed, but how will those that are always yelling about state rights will react in this particular scenario?

"By a 5-2 vote this past Friday, the Montana Supreme Court declined to recognize the common understanding that Citizens United bars all laws limiting independent electoral spending. Instead, Chief Justice Mike McGrath, writing on behalf of the majority, called on the history surrounding the state law to show that corporate money, even if not directly contributed to a campaign, can give rise to corruption.

But by "dress[ing] up its value judgment ... as a factual statement," continued Hasen, the U.S. Supreme Court must now explain why the Montana Supreme Court was not correct to consider the factual record when it came to justifying corporate spending limits in campaign finance laws. How the Citizens United majority will deny the force of Montana's factual record or, for that matter, Mark Twain's observations -- and whether the Citizens United dissenters will express their schadenfreude at their colleagues' efforts -- remains hypothetical for now."

Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
I'm very curious to see how this will all play out.

Especially since this is not only a state taking on the fed, but how will those that are always yelling about state rights will react in this particular scenario?

"By a 5-2 vote this past Friday, the Montana Supreme Court declined to recognize the common understanding that Citizens United bars all laws limiting independent electoral spending. Instead, Chief Justice Mike McGrath, writing on behalf of the majority, called on the history surrounding the state law to show that corporate money, even if not directly contributed to a campaign, can give rise to corruption.

But by "dress[ing] up its value judgment ... as a factual statement," continued Hasen, the U.S. Supreme Court must now explain why the Montana Supreme Court was not correct to consider the factual record when it came to justifying corporate spending limits in campaign finance laws. How the Citizens United majority will deny the force of Montana's factual record or, for that matter, Mark Twain's observations -- and whether the Citizens United dissenters will express their schadenfreude at their colleagues' efforts -- remains hypothetical for now."
Schadenfruede has always been a political nuance Amercicans cannot digest, sadly......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.