Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:28 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post

your standards, and evaluate the Presidency of Ronald Reagan after his first year.

The economy was still in the toilet. Though he campaigned as a pro-life candidate, he gave the right-to-lifers nothing - he wound up nominating O'Connor, who wound up being a first class justice...and a solid vote to uphold Roe v. Wade.

And, this is the man who went on to end the Cold War, and defeat the Soviet Union without firing a shot.

Give Obama some time. And, you nay-sayers...be critical, it's your right...but in the end, try to see our point of view. We are all Americans, we all love our country. Saying, as that windbag Limbaugh said, that he wishes our President to fail, is tantamount to wishing that our country will fail.

That is about as unpatriotic as it gets.
Hear, Hear! I wish I could rep you again for this one!

They also forget (or never bothered to learn):

Obama overturns Bush order on access to White House records | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | National Politics (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/national/stories/DN-prezdocs_22nat.ART.State.Edition2.4ee7f3d.html - broken link)
"President Barack Obama began dismantling the Bush legacy Wednesday, using his first full day to overturn an order that let ex-presidents seal their papers forever."

MinnPost - Obama overturns Bush policies on ethics, information - Ticker Blog
"President Obama moved swiftly on Wednesday to impose new rules on government transparency and ethics, using his first full day in office to freeze the salaries of his senior aides, mandate new limits on lobbyists and demand that the government disclose more information."

Obama: Undoing the Bush Administration One Order at a Time - Washington Wire - WSJ
"President Barack Obama ordered a crackdown today on private government contracts — particularly in the defense arena — that he says will save taxpayers $40 billion a year.

“The days of giving defense contractors a blank check are over,” Obama told reporters.

The order was just the latest in a string of early decisions the president has made that overturn a broad spectrum of policies practiced by former President George W. Bush’s administration."

Barack Obama reverses 'global gag rule' on family planning organisations | World news | guardian.co.uk
"President Barack Obama today made the most contentious move of his young administration with an order, overturning a ban on federal funds to foreign family planning organisations that either offer abortions or provide information or counselling about abortion.

The rule change continues the dismantling of George Bush's conservative policies."

Obama Reverses Bush on Species Protection Measure - washingtonpost.com
"In a move that will subject a number of government projects to enhanced environmental and scientific scrutiny, President Obama is restoring a requirement that U.S. agencies consult with independent federal experts to determine whether their actions might harm threatened and endangered species."

I don't feel like searching for more. Suffice it to say that many of you people need to get out more, read a wider variety of news sources, and listen to people outside of Rush, Bill & Glenn. Clearly you're not getting good information if you believe "[Barack Obama] couldn't overturn one of Bushs policies".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 01:32 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

I don't feel like searching for more. Suffice it to say that many of you people need to get out more, read a wider variety of news sources, and listen to people outside of Rush, Bill & Glenn. Clearly you're not getting good information if you believe "[Barack Obama] couldn't overturn one of Bushs policies".

Nice work gathering all of those examples! I like it.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,735 times
There is also his naming of Justice Sotomayor, who's from the Bronx where I live. Despite the "wise Latina" crack (how would you like to have all your casual utterances combed over) she's really quite moderate, and represents a demographic that's underrepresented in government.

Who knows, she might have inspired quite a few would be gangbangers up here to pay attention in Social Studies class.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Nice work gathering all of those examples! I like it.
I'd like it also if there wasnt so many dam flaws in it..
Quote:
"President Barack Obama began dismantling the Bush legacy Wednesday, using his first full day to overturn an order that let ex-presidents seal their papers forever."
First, presidents could never seal their papers forever..
Second, want to tell me what mind blowing revelations have come from such "overturning"?
Quote:
MinnPost - Obama overturns Bush policies on ethics, information - Ticker Blog
"President Obama moved swiftly on Wednesday to impose new rules on government transparency and ethics, using his first full day in office to freeze the salaries of his senior aides, mandate new limits on lobbyists and demand that the government disclose more information."
Wow, freezes salaries of his senior aides that had their job for what, 2 DAYS? Woo, bravo Mr President..
Mandates new limits on lobbyists, what limits?
Government discloses more information? Fine and dandy, what NEW information has been disclosed?

Sorry, but just proclaiming he is going to do something, doesnt make it so..
Quote:
Obama: Undoing the Bush Administration One Order at a Time - Washington Wire - WSJ
"President Barack Obama ordered a crackdown today on private government contracts — particularly in the defense arena — that he says will save taxpayers $40 billion a year.

“The days of giving defense contractors a blank check are over,” Obama told reporters.
thats funny considering if I recall, Obama also awarded some no bid contracts for government contracts. Again, just because Obama said he wasnt going to do it, you buy it hook line and sinker, dont you?
Quote:
Barack Obama reverses 'global gag rule' on family planning organisations | World news | guardian.co.uk
"President Barack Obama today made the most contentious move of his young administration with an order, overturning a ban on federal funds to foreign family planning organisations that either offer abortions or provide information or counselling about abortion.
You consider this a positive.. Enough said about your adjenda..
Quote:
Obama Reverses Bush on Species Protection Measure - washingtonpost.com
"In a move that will subject a number of government projects to enhanced environmental and scientific scrutiny, President Obama is restoring a requirement that U.S. agencies consult with independent federal experts to determine whether their actions might harm threatened and endangered species."
Boy that one took a lot of work to do ha? How about him fufilling his pledge of removing "dont ask, dont tell"? That one would take all of 30 seconds to do? I bet he withholds this one until right before the next election, you know.. make a big deal out of it, national press etc.. and then with the swipe of his pen, legalize gays in the military. The timing though will be quite suspicious, right before elections.. jees. what a guy!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
There is also his naming of Justice Sotomayor, who's from the Bronx where I live. Despite the "wise Latina" crack (how would you like to have all your casual utterances combed over) she's really quite moderate, and represents a demographic that's underrepresented in government.

Who knows, she might have inspired quite a few would be gangbangers up here to pay attention in Social Studies class.
Wow, she named a judge from where you live.. Woo hoo.. Can I have one named from my neighborhood also?
Quote:
I stand behind our President
While I could have done without the mental pictures of this taking place, that does explain the smiles on both of your faces while the country is in the dumps..

Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In my opinion, President Obama has made great strides in pulling on nation back from the brink and making decisions that will progress our nation into a brighter future.

Calling President Obama a "liar" because you do not like his policies is an example of the extreme vulgarity that is unwarranted and unjustified. The people who have the audacity to call our president a "liar" while excusing the failings of the previous administration are the main reason that someone like me can only surmise that the overt bigotry of the Right are on full display.

The nastiness with which the Obama haters hurl their venom is unprecedented.
You seem to forget the nastiness hurled bushes way

Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow, she named a judge from where you live.. Woo hoo.. Can I have one named from my neighborhood also?

While I could have done without the mental pictures of this taking place, that does explain the smiles on both of your faces while the country is in the dumps..
That is not my, or his, fault. May I say; your mind seems to be in the gutter.

Ever hear the story about how she, personally, chased down some perps in Manhattan, comandeering someones motorbike to do so?

Food for thought, while you sit watching Fox News.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That is not my, or his, fault. May I say; your mind seems to be in the gutter.
Possibly, but it doesnt change the fact that you are standing behind him and filled with glee
Quote:
Ever hear the story about how she, personally, chased down some perps in Manhattan, comandeering someones motorbike to do so?
What does that have to do with anything? This is like hearing the story about a man shooting a bear in the woods.. I mean seriously.. whats the point?
Quote:
Food for thought, while you sit watching Fox News.
its obviously you arent here because at the moment I'm watching 4 computer screens, 1 for cd, 1 for stock trades, 1 for my internet company watching sales reports, and another one for emails.. Stock trades are projected onto my tv.. but please pretend to bring up Fox News in every sentence while not making a relevant point..

Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,808 times
Quote:
Lots of off-duty police officers do that in Manhattan and elsewhere, but you won't hear people suggesting they are therefore qualified to the Supreme Court.

It's as fatuous an argument as saying (and I swear that I heard people make this argument at the time) that the inexcusable Harriet Miers should have been hied post haste to the Supreme Court on the grounds that she was an evangelical Christian and wasn't it about bloody time that there was an evangelical Christian on the Court. (Indeed, I heard a few people at the time suggest an even more fatuous argument: that to oppose her Supreme Court nomination equaled opposing evangelical Christians, period.) Never mind that even Harriet the Mere---should she not have pulled back her own nomination---would have been bound by oath to uphold and defend a Constitution that enjoins among other things against religious tests as requirements to office or public trust under the United States.

As for the subject at hand (or foot, if you're far-sighted), I stand resolutely athwart Mr. Obama as indeed would (and did) I stand athwart anyone, in the White House or in Congress or in any public office, to whom the State is the alpha and omega of human existence; anyone, in the White House or in Congress or in any public office, to whom the State alone holds the resolution to any vicissitude in life, whether the State is competent or Constitutionally sanctioned to incline that way.

I stood athwart Mr. Bush for the same reason, in his domestic policy particularly, and I would remind those to whom Mr. Obama renders Mr. Bush an object in nostalgia that, when Mr. Bush had a Republican Congress with which to work, they went on a spending spree in their own right that was sufficient enough to cause the proverbial drunken sailor to resemble Carry Nation. (You can get the full story in Mr. Michael D. Tanner's Leviathan on the Right: How Big-Government Conservatism Brought Down the Republican Revolution. The nation may have been fed up with the war by that point but it wasn't the war that assured a Democratic recapture of Congress in 2006; the predominant exit polling at those elections turned up the fact that most Americans asked---including Democrats whose party saw a lot of their candidates running to the center or even to the right of their opposition---said they preferred small government.)

Quote:
If Americans want good government, hundreds of programs must be abolished and legions of laws that turn government into a public nuisance must be repealed. All other "reforms" will merely prolong the abuse of the American people.

---James Bovard, in "feeling your pain": The Explosion and Abuse of Government Power in the Clinton-Gore Years.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What does that have to do with anything? This is like hearing the story about a man shooting a bear in the woods.. I mean seriously.. whats the point?

its obviously you arent here because at the moment I'm watching 4 computer screens, 1 for cd, 1 for stock trades, 1 for my internet company watching sales reports, and another one for emails.. Stock trades are projected onto my tv.. but please pretend to bring up Fox News in every sentence while not making a relevant point..
It has to do with the fact that she's a gutsy lady, as well as being a first class lawyer. Past incidents in public leaders lives often are revealing about their strengths of character; witness George H. W. Bush's incredible bravery in the Pacific Theater in WWII. Possibly, this was related to his reluctance to send other 19 year olds (as he was, when he almost died) to go get their behinds shot off overthrowing some tinpot dictator. His useless son, who spent the Vietnam War keeping the skies of Texas safe for Democracy, had no such scruples.

(A great account of Bush Sr's exploits in the war can be found in the book Flyboys; as well as a number of soul wrenching accounts of the fate of American flyers unfortunate enough to fall into the hands of the Japs after being shot down over the island of Chichi-Jima (sp?).)

Watching four computer screens? Sounds like y'all ought to get out of the house more.

I bring up Fox News because you seem to reflect its two dimensional political viewpoint. I used to be a Republican; might be one again, someday. I would not have been heartbroken if McCain had won; he is a good man. Bush Junior played dirty tricks on him, galore, during the 2000 campaign. McCain famously commented that Bush Jr. was like the three characters in The Wizard of Oz; no brain, no courage, no heart.

Last edited by WildCardSteve; 02-02-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies