Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It isn't just the GOP, buddy (unless you are only referring to politicians). I know some Democrat Marines (Vietnam era) who would disagree with you. A guy in the miltary does not want to be sleeping next to a known homo.

Why? Let me tell you my experience from Art Institute of Pittsburgh in the 60's:

The Art Institute contracted with Sheraton Hotels for "dorms" for the women, and with the YMCA for men. While living at the "Y", it was not uncommon to be in your room in the evening working on a project for school, and suddenly hear a "whoosh" as a not is slipped under your door. The note reads something like "For a good time....meet me in the bathroom (or a room number) at such-and-so time".

This is what homos do. This is how they make contact. It is so disgusting! We (my wife and I) even see them trolling at the park, when we eat lunch (we're self emplyed, so we often pull into a park by the lake — many lakes in our area — to eat our lunch) They cruise around, and around. Finally, two cars park next to each other, and two guys make there way into the nearby woods. This is no joke. This is the "gay lifestyle", which many gays say does not exist!

Sorry. No gays in the military. At all.
Sorry, ALREADY gays in the military.

There's no gay lifestyle. However, there are some insane people in the parks watching the gay men and stalking them. That's exactly what you do. Got nothing better to do? You're "self emplo***"?

Last edited by XodoX; 01-27-2010 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: It *** self employed??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
That being said, as an ex Air Force guy guy (90-99) I would certainly not have wanted the guy in the bunk next to me (and we're talking very close quarters) to be "Black" — we used a more accurate term in those days.

There is no place in the military for Blacks or any type of "colored" people for that matter. It isn't about how much they love their country and how much they are willing to serve. They have to live with (sleep in the same compartment as) White people. The military simply cannot create separate berthing compartments on a ship (or even on base) for Whites, Blacks, Latinos, you know, anyone who ain't White, (you get the idea). It isn't practical, and it would cost the taxpayers too much. And how many berths must you provide to keeps those Blacks away from people who just don't like their kind? Space is not cheap. Think of how much room we'd have to make for watermelon and fried chicken storage. They might even (shudder) try to "do Black stuff", you know, like be themselves? I don't want anyone to be themself around me. Go be yourself somewhere else, Black Dude.

This whole thing is just ridiculous. The answer can only be to keep them out in the first place. That is the sensible solution.

The military was not supposed to be an experiment in "social engineering" It's purpose is to build a fighting force to defend this nation against our enemies, should the need arise. Blacks and Whites? It would never work.

It was hard to type that. You could also replace that with Women, Chickens, Potato salad, etc.

Countries that don't allow gays in their military.

Cuba
China
Egypt
Greece[1]
Iran
Jamaica
North Korea
Pakistan
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Serbia
Singapore
South Korea[2]
Syria
Turkey[3]
Venezuela
Yemen
United States

Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Default Obama to try to convince us he is going to freeze spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
This is the official State of the Union Address. All posts that have to do with President Obama's speech will be merged into this thread. At 7:00 EST all threads dealing with this subject created before this one, will be closed.
Freeze spending? After record spending across the board? Nice. We've incrreased everything; now, are we to believe "freezing" spending (certain spending only) at the current level will do any good?

This is an attempt to convince you that he is suddenly becoming fiscally responsible. He has heard you. And he is going to stop the spending.

Yeah. Right.

This man lies. Don't buy it. What he is suggesting is so minuscule, it will have no effect whatsoever! Does he think we are stupid? Answer: Yes, he does.

Of course, he will continue to blame the Bush administration for the problems which he has created.

Obama has no solutions. They are all making things worse. The higher taxes have resulted in less Federal revenue. Is this a surprise? Not if you have lived in the Kennedy/Reagan/Bush43 years. Lower taxes always result in more Federal revenue.

This guy has screwed up big time. And he won't admit it. He will always blame someone else. But history tells us that his premise is wrong..

This guys solutions won't work. They never have. Do not listen. It is government that is the problem. Not the private sector. Government never created one job. Business creates jobs. If you stifle business, you will stifle job growth. It's a no-brainer.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
He promised he'd do it, now he's doing it. That would be called a campaign promise. May not be something Republican's are used to, so I understand it's a little scary.
No, he's promised to. And unless he's already signed it today, it's still just a promise. And he's made many of them, with no real action.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
That being said, as an ex Air Force guy guy (90-99) I would certainly not have wanted the guy in the bunk next to me (and we're talking very close quarters) to be "Black" — we used a more accurate term in those days.

There is no place in the military for Blacks or any type of "colored" people for that matter. It isn't about how much they love their country and how much they are willing to serve. They have to live with (sleep in the same compartment as) White people. The military simply cannot create separate berthing compartments on a ship (or even on base) for Whites, Blacks, Latinos, you know, anyone who ain't White, (you get the idea). It isn't practical, and it would cost the taxpayers too much. And how many berths must you provide to keeps those Blacks away from people who just don't like their kind? Space is not cheap. Think of how much room we'd have to make for watermelon and fried chicken storage. They might even (shudder) try to "do Black stuff", you know, like be themselves? I don't want anyone to be themself around me. Go be yourself somewhere else, Black Dude.

This whole thing is just ridiculous. The answer can only be to keep them out in the first place. That is the sensible solution.

The military was not supposed to be an experiment in "social engineering" It's purpose is to build a fighting force to defend this nation against our enemies, should the need arise. Blacks and Whites? It would never work.

It was hard to type that. You could also replace that with Women, Chickens, Potato salad, etc.

Countries that don't allow gays in their military.

Cuba
China
Egypt
Greece[1]
Iran
Jamaica
North Korea
Pakistan
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Serbia
Singapore
South Korea[2]
Syria
Turkey[3]
Venezuela
Yemen
United States

Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just gotta read that one sentence to know that your post is totally screwed up. It's just full of it.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
As if we didn't have more pressing problems! Is this guy stupid, or what?

That being said, as an ex Navy guy (Vietnam) I would certainly not have wanted the guy in the bunk next to me (and we're talking very close quarters) to be "gay" — we used a more accurate term in those days.

There is no place in the military for homosexuals. It isn't about how much they love their country and how much they are willing to serve. They have to live with (sleep in the same compartment as) straight people. The military simply cannot create separate berthing compartments on a ship (or even on base) for men, homos, women, lesbians (you get the idea). It isn't practical, and it would cost the taxpayers too much. And how many berths must you provide (in a separate compartment)? Space is not cheap.

The military was not supposed to be an experiment in "social engineering" It's purpose is to build a fighting force to defend this nation against our enemies, should the need arise.
And I understand the closeness, the bonding and camaraderie is integral to the smooth function of the fighting force. This could be adversely impacted. But, we're OT.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Default Obama to propose aid to the middle class

Our country has lost many industries over the last couple decades, in my opinion the US biggest export is the middle class...to China, India. I really don'tr have a clue what is considered middle class anymore. What earning level do you consider middle class these days?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Remember this is a thread about the State of the Union Address, not about gays in the military. With that said, I see how the conversation took that turn, but let's get back on track ok?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
50K - 150K per year depending on the size of the family. I tend to think of it divided into lower-middle, middle-middle, and upper-middle.

Of course a single person making even 40-50K would be doing very well.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Regarding the so-called "spending freeze."

It's actually a freeze of the budget numbers that they increased, and that is being done, as I understand it, to make sure that no one can come along later (e.g. another administration) and cut them back. He's ensuring that there will be more money to spend. Clever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies