Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times

Advertisements

let's face it. they are mostly all crooks and just grandstanding for their party constituents. they even unite after office to start charities together, like clinton and bush. let's see where that money goes!

they have no real differences of opinion since they are all rich globalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,812,044 times
It was predictable.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 AM

302 posts, read 579,621 times
I gave it a 4 mostly for delivery, kudos to his teleprompter he does read well. Unforturnately this is where most people will stop. Everybody clapped it must be good right??

I think the content would be less than one. Blame bush, blame "Washington" (who does he think he is at this point?) and not recognizing the separation of powers by scolding the Supreme Court. Bad move, really bad move. Shame on the dems for standing up and applauding. The Supreme courts' job is to protect the United States from attacks to it's constitition. But then, it is Obama and its been his mission to dismantle our country.

Could have done without the Hokey Pelosi even Joe Biden looked like he wanted to tell her to sit down...

The speech was predictable. Poor Harry had trouble staying awake. No moving center for him, his ego would have to get out of the way. He doesn't get the fact that a majority of the population does not want his health care bill - He thinks we don't understand the health care bill - we understand bribes, earmarks and back room deals. We understand that the people were kept out of the process. The problem is that we do understand in spite of his and the senate majority's effort to keep us all out of the loop.

No earmarks from last years speech has been switched to earmarks posted on the internet.

Fees on banks will be passed down to the consumer.

Oh and saying that campaign frenzy has started early? He's been campaigning since he won! He never stops. The writing is on the wall, he wants to have done something in his one term as president and he doesn't care who he takes down in the process. Stand firm- don't be afraid of the people he tells his wavering party.

Unless he changes his direction, he will be voted out in 3 years and if the dems go along with him they will be out in November.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times
i agree and find it beyond odd that obama has adopted this "blame washington" mentality, specifically because he was a senator before he was president. his "victim" mentality is not serving america well.

he needs to do something about the corruption, unless, of course, he is part of the corruption. the federal reserve lied to the american people, congress bought what they were selling, and yet no one has been punished and there is going to plenty more where that came from without actual "change". the corrupt and the incompetent get to stay on under his watch, including napolitano, geithner, and bernanke. (just to name a few)

Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,874,903 times
Default AP Fact Checks obama's SOTU Speech; As you would expect...

filled with lies and empty rhetoric.

FACT CHECK: Obama and a toothless commission (http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/fact-check-obama-and-a-toothless-commission-198652.html - broken link)

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama told Americans the bipartisan deficit commission he will appoint won't just be "one of those Washington gimmicks." Left unspoken in that assurance was the fact that the commission won't have any teeth.
Of course it will be a Washington gimmick. Can't fool us anymore with that crap.

Quote:
OBAMA: "Starting in 2011, we are prepared to freeze government spending for three years.

THE FACTS: The anticipated savings from this proposal would amount to less than 1 percent of the deficit — and that's if the president can persuade Congress to go along.
Less than 1%.

The biggest lie however was his hit on SCOTUS, which was totally inappropriate and shows once again how divisive and partisan he is and his need to ALWAYS have a target for his rhetoric.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...itos-reaction/

Quote:
Indeed, Mr. Obama’s description of the holding of the case was imprecise. He said the court had “reversed a century of law.”

That law was not at issue in the Citizens United case, and is still on the books. Rather, the court struck down a more complicated statute that barred corporations and unions from spending money directly from their treasuries — as opposed to their political action committees — on television advertising to urge a vote for or against a federal candidate in the period immediately before the election.

Last edited by sanrene; 01-28-2010 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,968,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Might I remind you he has had a super majority in the house and senate for a year. He still couldnt do anything the guys useless. Thats why I voted scott brown and hope the R's take congress back so WE CAN GET STUFF DONE.
Might I remind YOU that Senator Al Franken, the 60th seat, wasn't confirmed the winner until many months into Obama's first year.

Republicans will "get stuff done"?

You mean like they did during the Bush administration ?

The only thing the "Party of No" ever accomplishes is obstructing change from ever happening.

Republicans spread their lies to the point where the majority of Americans believe them, like they did recently with healthcare reform (death panels, etc.)

Remember how Republicans tied Saddam Hussein to 9/11 to sell the Iraq War?

The only things Republicans accomplished recently was allowing a massive housing bubble to grow unchecked, starting two very costly wars, and leaving our nation in a state of crisis for the next president to deal with.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
filled with lies and empty rhetoric.

FACT CHECK: Obama and a toothless commission (http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/fact-check-obama-and-a-toothless-commission-198652.html - broken link)

Of course it will be a Washington gimmick. Can't fool us anymore with that crap.

Less than 1%.

The biggest lie however was his hit on SCOTUS, which was totally inappropriate and shows once again how divisive and partisan he is and his need to ALWAYS have a target for his rhetoric.
His attack on the SCOUTUS was classless and shows how little respect he has for our system of government, He hurt the office of the president

Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
I gave him an 8. I liked that it wasn't all shiny happy joy joy, we didn't need that kind of speech.

I will say this, he's been watching the polls. Republicans need to watch them to. 51% of people polled see the Republicans as holding up things in Congress. 40% or so think that Democrats are part of the problem to, don't get me wrong. People just don't like congress right now, or the government as a whole. Obama tried addressing this by encouraging bi-partisanship.

There were things for the Republicans to work with him on, and hopefully that gets the ball rolling. However, this has been the party of no lately, nothing is certain.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
Exclamation Read my lips! Justice Mouths 'Not True' as Obama Slams Court

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito made a dismissive face, shook his head repeatedly and appeared to mouth the words "not true" or possibly "simply not true" as Obama spoke.

FOXNews.com - Justice Mouths 'Not True' as Obama Slams Court

Obama is clearly not making any friends with the lies he is telling...

Btw. the girl was sitting last time next to his wife, when Obama told the whole Nation how he would provide for her school, etc...has moved to Atlanta since the school couldn't be afforded anymore and the parent lost their job...sad, but Obama isn't stating things like that...of course not

Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
How was it classless?

He said with all due respect to separation of powers, he disagreed with the ruling. Thats like saying others disagree with the President, or that the President disagrees with congress.

Its not disrespectful.

Then, he urged congress to pass a law that would limit campaign finance from corporations and foreign interests.

I agree with the Supreme courts decision that McCain Feingold was unconstitutional, however, nothing wrong with the President asking congress to fix the loop hole either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies