Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This statement is what is wrong with this country. They would rather leech off the government in unemployment checks than get an honest job. Look, just because you were making 50K per year in some high commission sales job that required no education, it doesn't mean you will get a job like that today. Lazy a%$ morons think they are too good to work at hard labor jobs even though they lack a formal education, valued job experience and marketable skills.
As a physician, if you ever found yourself unemployed, what is the lowest pay you would consider given the considerable expense and effort you took in earning your MD training?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I think you need to get a grip on your apparent emotions concerning this because you are being really judgemental about something that you can't judge. You don't know everyone's situation and yet you are saying the things you said here. What the heck does "Mexicans" have to do with your original post? Mexicans who migrate here to work, do the work because they don't have the skills or education to do the other work or they are not documented to do other, higher paying work. Also, if Mexicans who migrate here could do other higher paying jobs (which they do, more often than people try to say) then don't you think they would? People don't get up at 4:30 to work in the fields because they think it is fun, they do it because they have no other choice. If US Citizens who had no other choice (as the undocumented or low-skilled immigrants) then they would be doing the same jobs.
Let's be honest, they have no other choice. They might be in denial but that doesn't change the fact that they have no other choice. If you've been unemployed for 2 years, sorry but no one is going to knock on your door and give you the job of your dreams. There is probably a reason you are unemployed for this long and it probably has something to do with your qualifications. I'm not trying to be harsh but a lot of people need a reality check in addition to a pay check. And you can get paid more working those jobs than receiving unemployement but people don't want to work those types of jobs for reasons other than money. They think they are too good for them and they are hard work. People don't want to admit that but it's the truth.

Quote:
Also, that is not lazy. If you were layed off and unemployment is giving you an amount that can at least hold you and your family warm, fed and safe until you find a job that is very near or the same pay as your old job then you are not doing anything wrong by taking that time to do what you can to find that job
1. Except that unemployment isn't giving you that amount. You are accepting unemployment and living off credit cards making the minimum payment each month

2. You are doing something wrong when you are taking 2 years to find that job. Either you should move to a different state or city with better job opportunities or start working.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
As a physician, if you ever found yourself unemployed, what is the lowest pay you would consider given the considerable expense and effort you took in earning your MD training?
I wasn't always a physician. I was laid off from a job too. I went to school later. I took loans, didn't eat out, didn't go to movies, drove a beat up used car and studied. If I couldn't get a job for 2 years, I would work hard labor and earn some money until opportunities opened up later even if it meant years later. Sure, it wouldn't be fun just like working 100 hour weeks for 29K in residency wasn't fun. Not all of us lack a work ethic and are afraid of hard work.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
That is not true. Unemployment doesn't pay the apartment bills, or car bills. It barely pays food bills. Be real!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Many people would rather be on unemployment then do crap jobs for no money, let alone do them well enough to make it past the first week.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Also unemployment only lasts for 4 months at the most.
In order to receive unemployment you have to show them that you have looked for jobs and have been to job interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
And you are not guaranteed to be hired for those jobs. I personally know two 50 somethings who have been out of work for the past year and no one will hire them. They've applied EVERYWHERE, manual labor, McDonalds, retail, etc. It's not as easy as you make it out to me - and you'll find that out it you are ever unfortunate enough to become unemployed.

What about people who can't physically perform hard labor?

Very judgmental post here. I have known plenty of people who apply to everything and anything, you act like they can just show up to farm labor jobs and be hired on the spot... how long has it been since you have been in the position of looking for a job?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Many people would rather be on unemployment then do crap jobs for no money, let alone do them well enough to make it past the first week

True. I woudn't do crap jobs for no money...why the hell would I? Just to say I was working? I could stay home and do work around my own house for no money and come out ahead.

The reason we work is FOR MONEY.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That is not true. Unemployment doesn't pay the apartment bills, or car bills. It barely pays food bills. Be real!!!!!!!!
California pays close to $500 a week. If you live within your means, ~$2000/month should get you by until you get a job.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Some menial labor jobs actually cost more to take than they pay out, especially if you have to drive each day to the location (which of course means more money for car maintenance). And if you have no health insurance and take a manual labor job without health coverage - and you get hurt - then what?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Some menial labor jobs actually cost more to take than they pay out, especially if you have to drive each day to the location (which of course means more money for car maintenance). And if you have no health insurance and take a manual labor job without health coverage - and you get hurt - then what?
Change professions to something safer if thats the concern.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Do you actually believe that there are enough jobs right now for everyone to say, "I have a job?" You have to understand and take into consideration that there just isn't work out there for a lot of people. I'm not trying to preach, but, ... really, why ask this question? It's pretty simple: there aren't enough jobs out there for everyone, hence why we will always have unemployment, it just so happens that at times it is much greater.

There just aren't the jobs ... that's the main concept ... employers and businesses have to be willing to hire and actually have positions available. Even the jobs that you are talking about (chicken poop) would not be enough for everyone.

You are right people who think that there are enough jobs to go round for everyone at this moment are in pure denial. Jobs right now are hard to come by. So many businesses are not hiring at this time, cannot afford to, infact, i am hearing about people being laid off. And in the past 5 months i know of 4 Middle aged men who have lost decent, well paying jobs, and have even lost there homes, doesn't sound promising to me, i need to see action, and not an articulate speech, which amounts to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies