Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I checked our local paper's classified ad's. It had jobs listed that about anyone could do. Everything from farm labor to nursing to shoe store manager. Now let's say you are on the verge of being homeless, do you not at least go to a farmer and tell them you will cut tobacco or scoop chicken s--t? Perhaps it's because alot of people have become so freaking lazy in this country that they think they are "above" doing hard labor. Maybe we give way too much unemployment benefits out and it gives out of workers reason to sit on their a-- all day and do nothing. Sure, it may not be as much money as you made before, but wouldn't you have some pride in yourself in knowing that you are doing ALL you can for your family.
How do you know that people aren't applying to those jobs? Even during the depression, work had to be done. The thing was for every job opening there was 20 applicants. Math dictates 19 of those people were walking away unhappy.

It really gaulls me to see people take a **** on others when they haven't been in a tough situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Then stop posting on it.

You could pick up trash for min wage. Clean bed pans at a nursing home. Etc.

I really think some would rather live in their car than do a job they think is beneath them.
But can a person pay out rent/mortgage, utilities, car payment, car insurance; buy food on a minimum wage job?

i've been out of work since 2001. in 2003 i created a job, post construction clean up. in 2006 i got sick. in 2009 i finally get a job as a part time merchandiser for a major snack food distributor. And i have college under my belt, a lot of good that has done me.

It's part time and my next home is my car!

And that farming job. When the person doing the hiring asks how much experience do you have in farming and the person says, none...he's gonna go, next! I just got lucky that I have retail background from the age of 18, (don't ask how many years ago I had to go back to pull that one up)

It's good people do have jobs they have had for many years right on through from 2000 to now, cause they won't have to know what this feels like.

(i didn't read all the posts cause this is just to painful to look @)

Old 01-28-2010, 01:41 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
I will sell you plenty of acres, you can start your own farm. The farmers around here have a heap of money.
Sounds nice, actually.

However, keep in mind that economies based around farming aren't usually all that prosperous. Most third world nations engage in what you're describing (substance farming) and they're not exactly raking in the dough.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Sounds nice, actually.

However, keep in mind that economies based around farming aren't usually all that prosperous. Most third world nations engage in what you're describing (substance farming) and they're not exactly raking in the dough.
Hi Shizzles,

Did you know that farmers are getting paid not to farm here in the U.S?

Harvesting Cash: A Year-Long Investigation into Farm Subsidies (washingtonpost.com)

This is a little something that is left over from the Bush Administration that struck my interest so I did a little research on it. Then I wondered a while back if Obama (looking for money) did anything with it and I found this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/us...farm.html?_r=1

Just a little bit of political trivia there for ya...come to think of it, that doesn't help employment any now does it...

Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Oh, so all the unemployed in this country can simply get jobs working as farm laborers...right?
Never mind the fact that farmworkers make up less than 1 percent of all jobs in this country. And due to the high seasonality of agriculture, farm workers are unemployed at rates higher than other professions--and most of those are jobs are concentrated in the southwest and southern regions of the country.

Looking over resumes for the most menial of jobs at my company on a daily basis, I find over 200 candidates (many whom are greatly overqualified for the position) within one day of posting a job listing. Of course to some folks posting on this site, apparently anyone who has the misfortune of being laid off from a job due to the current economy and no fault of their own deserves their own fate. These days I see skilled 65-year-old middle-class-guys who should be close to retirement taking jobs at the local Taco Bell to make ends meet--and even those positions have a long line of of applicants for them.

S**t, even drug dealers have been forced to cut back in this economy.

Quote:
"Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain’t coming back."
Bruce Springsteen-My Hometown

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
I see alot of EXCUSES. I wonder if people would be more motivated if they were given 1 month of unemployment.

Hell, go learn to drive a semi. Trucking co's are always hiring.
And truckers make $h!t. My brother has been a long-haul trucker for nearly 40 years and has less to show for it than my late husband did after 30 years on the assembly line at Ford Motor. Brother has never been able to own a home; husband and I owned three and with insurance proceeds from a policy through his employer I now own a 4th.

Now, my brother would never have survived an assembly line and he loves his job. He gets to see just about every one of the 'lower 48' every year or so. His wife is also a trucker and they work as a team, so neither of them sits home waiting for the other. I get to see them several times a year when the company sends them in this direction - they also get to see our other siblings from time to time and we are spread all over the country. But, believe me, if there was any job that paid more and still offered him those opportunities he would grab it in a heartbeat because he gets tired of always having to be on the road just to have the money to pay his bills.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why don't you just tell us? You seem to have all the answers.
Or, at least he thinks he does. I love it when someone who hasn't a clue thinks he has all the answers for every possible situation. Gives me a good laugh every time and I just love to laugh.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Then stop posting on it.

You could pick up trash for min wage. Clean bed pans at a nursing home. Etc.

I really think some would rather live in their car than do a job they think is beneath them.
You really have no respect for your fellow Americans. Just because there are 200 jobs listed doesn't mean that they are 200 new jobs everyday. It is usually the same jobs over and over again.

We have many Nursing jobs listed. You have to be a nurse for those jobs so not anybody can do that. And not one single unemployed nurse would turn down an RN or LPN job .

The farming jobs you talk about providing housing? Where are those jobs?In NYC? In Memphis ? In Seattle? I have never seen a farming job listed in my local paper. Especially one that will the pay for my apartment and my bills? Or do I have to leave my family to go and live on a farm? IS that what you talk about?

Sex-line operators! A lot of those classified ads are phone- sex-jobs. 1899-hot-chicks ! They don't tell you that until you are interviewing. Happened to a friend of mine.

Other jobs require you to have a certain trade(skill).

-Clean beds at Nursing homes- Oh even that you need to be a CNA nowdays. ( Certified Nursing assistant ) unless you are an LPN ).

Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
There are Americans standing on street corners looking to work as day laborers next to their immigrant brethren all over the place.

Maybe you just choose not to see them.

The new faces of day labor - Monday, Nov. 2, 2009 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

The new faces of day labor
U.S. citizens are joining immigrants in store parking lots
Oh hell. My cousin worked as a day laborer when he first came to Las Vegas five years ago. He eventually got work as a convenience store security guard and stayed there until he was able to get work as an ambulance driver. He's still working as an ambulance driver while he went to school and got certified as a respiratory therapist and is looking for work in that field. When he decided to take the courses, RTs were badly needed; now there are too many of them for too few available jobs.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
A brand new Dr Pepper bottling plant is opening in my area. They put an add in the paper for a fork lift driver... ONE fork lift driver. There were 2700 applicants for that one job.
In all, the company has hired about 200 people, and had many thousands of applicants. The HR person at the plant stated that many people cried when told they were going to be hired. They were so desperate, and had been unemployed for so long, their emotions got the best of them....
No reason for anyone to be out of work, right...?
And that's one of the things these people like the OP - who has probably never been unemployed in his entire adult life - simply do not understand. Try looking for a job you really don't want because you expect to go back to your original employer. My husband had to do that for about three months. He had been discharged over something that was beyond his control (totally separate issue) and his union and his mother's union were both in discussions with his employer, trying to get his job back. But the state still required that he submit the names of 6 companies where he had applied every week or they would have cut off his unemployment. And we had three small sons to feed and clothe.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 01-28-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies