Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
To give the OP a little credit, not everyone is cut out for farm labor either, but I suppose he's referring to jobs that anyone with a little education could get. I'm not honestly sure of the hierarchy myself, but how many years of schooling can you have and get a CNA certificate (in other words, you don't necessarily have to go to a college, just a "trade school". I know both RN's and LPN's take more schooling.

Of course, that education requires money to get, and if you don't have a job, you can't get it (education). It seems no one wants to hire the inexperienced--so that they can GET the experience.
A CNA is not a nurse. If he were differentiating, he would have said "nursing assistant". That is how those jobs are advertised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 05:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a registered nurse, a licensed practical nurse, and a certified nursing assistant by looking at them--and I'd refer to all of them as "nurse".

Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
You can get a job. Might not pay enough for you and your family to survive, but you can get a job.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I checked our local paper's classified ad's. It had jobs listed that about anyone could do. Everything from farm labor to nursing to shoe store manager. Now let's say you are on the verge of being homeless, do you not at least go to a farmer and tell them you will cut tobacco or scoop chicken s--t? Perhaps it's because alot of people have become so freaking lazy in this country that they think they are "above" doing hard labor. Maybe we give way too much unemployment benefits out and it gives out of workers reason to sit on their a-- all day and do nothing. Sure, it may not be as much money as you made before, but wouldn't you have some pride in yourself in knowing that you are doing ALL you can for your family.
Where I live, the classifieds offer nothing except nursing and a small handful of other technical medical jobs. Which is weird because I know people with nursing degrees who can't find work. But anyway, these are jobs which require a specific degree and training, not just anyone can go and apply for them off the street.

I also cannot remember the last time I saw a "Help Wanted" sign in a business window.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Where I live, the classifieds offer nothing except nursing and a small handful of other technical medical jobs. Which is weird because I know people with nursing degrees who can't find work. But anyway, these are jobs which require a specific degree and training, not just anyone can go and apply for them off the street.

I also cannot remember the last time I saw a "Help Wanted" sign in a business window.
Many nursing jobs require specific experience in a certain area, e.g. pediatrics, etc. A lot of places are not hiring new graduates, or nurses who have been out of practice a while.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
To be honest, a grown person with multiple obligations would have to be an idiot to work for 5 or 6 dollars an hour. Thats barely gas/food money...and depending on home to job proximity, it may not even be that..

one has to be equally as wise about investments of their time as they are investments of their monies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies