Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

Me, I liked Jimmy Carter, the last honest President we had.

And Obama, well, I'm going to give the guy a chance...it's been year one out of a four year term. And what an economic mess he inherited.

I wish both parties could agree on something to give the poor squeezed Americans a break. So many are hurting, and last night the Republicans wouldn't even applaud giving tax breaks to small business owners--what's up with that? They're just not going to applaud or endorse anything that doesn't give tax breaks to corporations and the top 2% of the wealthy class.

Okay, fine, now I know where they stand--and it isn't for the suffering middle class...I was surprised how obvious they were on getting that point across to the watching public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

And Obama, well, I'm going to give the guy a chance...it's been year one out of a four year term. And what an economic mess he inherited.

He inherited Goldman & Sacs.

Look who is running the Fed.
Look who Giethtner came from
Look where all the people on the Presidents Financial advisory board came from....!!!!!!!!

What do they all have in common?

Goldman & Sacs, the cause of it all.

You tell me what is happening, when you give Al Capone, the keys to the mint and all banks??

Makes you wonder why Goldman & Sacs, who still gives huge bonuses, got off scott free, yet he is hammering the others

Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM

119 posts, read 263,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

There have been a lot of people comparing Obama to Carter lately. I don't think it is a fair comparison.

Carter was naive, inexperienced and unprepared to be POTUS, but he was generally a good person and relatively honest.

Obama is naive, inexperienced and unprepared to be POTUS, but he is a continual liar also and tries to hide it behind his arrogance and pompousness. While surrounding himself with an entire Staff and advisors that are equally pompous and out of touch with Middle America.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
Carter was naive, inexperienced and unprepared to be POTUS, but he was generally a good person and relatively honest.

Obama is naive, inexperienced and unprepared to be POTUS, but he is a continual liar also and tries to hide it behind his arrogance and pompousness. While surrounding himself with an entire Staff and advisors that are equally pompous and out of touch with Middle America.
I'd prefer a arrogant liar than someone who increased military aid to Indonesia at a time when they were slaughtering the east timorese
yep a real nice guy indeed.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I am incredulous. Populism on the campaign trail rarely survives into actual practice. Why not? Because the brain trust of civil servants and executives of both major parties usually pressures populism to drop most ridiculous actions. Also, since the Dems had moved toward the center since 1994, I would have thought that Obama's more crazy ideas would have been shot down. I am incredulous because I always assume that reason and pragmatism will work their magic in the end. But Geez...what a disaster!

"GOP obstruction" : the anger should be over how the GOP ever got into the position to have 60-40 Dem in the senate, a huge majority in the House, and a vacuous Dem in the Presidency. If the GOP's identity is based only on being an obstruction, then it would only confirm that it is a party in decline.

Instead, what is needed is a platform for America going forward. A vision for the future that is not ostrich-like, based on fear, or based on imposing a stone age view of the world. The Reagan years had its share of flaws. However, he offered a vision for America that remained remarkably consistent in philosophy and execution.

I see no vision for America from either major party. Just visions of incompetence. For this reason, I am incredulous at both parties.

The ills of the country do not require a degree in rocket science but in common sense!

S.
Hmm....you're becoming somewhat incoherent here. Are you incredulous that Obama the populist has become Obama the pragmatist, or are you incredulous that Obama the populist has remained a populist? What exactly are you taking Obama to task for? Your response is as clear as mud. As I said before, you probably were not paying attention during the campaign. The policy initiatives he is pursuing now are the same policy initiatives he enunciated during the campaign. The problem here is not with Obama. The problem is your inattentiveness. Or is it a comprehension problem, perhaps?

And since you started this thread with such a bold headline as "Obama, the Least Competent President Since Jimmy Carter", maybe you can tell us what you would do if you were president that would pass your own litmus test of competence.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
President Obama is placing America back on the upward path.

For the previous 8 years, our nation had taken the worst detour imaginable. So many people are able to excuse the pure destruction that GWB caused and becaue President Obama as not corrected 8 years of misery in one short year they now call for blood.

Those fickle Americans who have chosen not to stand behind our nation's leader should really be ashamed of their unpatriotic behavior. Many of these people need to do some serious soul searching but America will move forward regardless.
Back on the "upward path"? So you like high unemployment, low personal incomes, high deficits, secrecy in government, and a nuclear Iran? If this was all done under Bush's watch, you would be spitting blood. But as it is Obama spreading destruction upon the nation, it is perfectly fine. What happens when YOU lose YOUR JOB?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
I'd prefer a arrogant liar than someone who increased military aid to Indonesia at a time when they were slaughtering the east timorese
yep a real nice guy indeed.

Sure. That is what makes all the difference. Who are the Timorese again? Yet I know people who have lost jobs, incomes and their homes. I think that Obama was elected president of the US, not savior of the world. His first priority SHOULD BE the US, but sadly, given his managment of domestic affairs, appears a low priority, or he is simply incompetent.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
There have been a lot of people comparing Obama to Carter lately. I don't think it is a fair comparison.

President Jimmy Carter was Naive I will grant you that "he didn't"
know how corrupt the government of the USOA was , but any
man that's makes the Rank Of Navy Capt is prepared To Be POTUS.

And of all of the EX-Presidents Jimmy Carter is (The Most Respected
MAN) If Not President , now go and chew on that for a minute.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Kerry (D) $167 million

Issa (R) $164 million

Harman (D) $112 million

Rockefeller (D) $81 million

Warner (D) $73 million

Polis (D) $71 million

Buchanan (R) $49 million

Lautenburg (D) $49 million

Feinstein (D) $43 million

Teague (D) $40 million

Grayson (D) $32 million

McCaskill (D) $17 million

The late Kennedy (D) $16 million

Lowey (D) $15 million

Maloney (D) $14 million

McCain (R) $13 million

Miller (R) $13 million

Pelosi (D) $12 million

Harkin (D) $9 million

Upton (R) $8 million

Kaufman (D) $8 million

Doggett (D) $8 million

Kagen (D) $7 million

Spratt (D) $7 million

Nelson (D) $7 million

Linder (R) $7 million

Hagan (D) $7 million

I could go on, but I bet you see a pattern with political elitists and the most common (D) by their name.
Well let's not stop here , let's go on "there are 40 Millionaires in The "Senate" of which "the majority" are Republican't (22) and Dem Demo's
(18) , 40 millionaires in US Senate and this golden nuggett of truth has nothing to do with "who throws the middle
class and poor" under the bus!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Back on the "upward path"? So you like high unemployment, low personal incomes, high deficits, secrecy in government, and a nuclear Iran? If this was all done under Bush's watch, you would be spitting blood. But as it is Obama spreading destruction upon the nation, it is perfectly fine. What happens when YOU lose YOUR JOB?
Our nation's current mess was done under Bush's watch. But here's the kicker, you don't get that fact because of a personal bias. It's ok....just be honest about it.

America needs President Obama's vision and positivity. We have had 8 miserable years of Republican leadership. And by the tone of those who are still wishing for another Rep to take the WH its a very good thing that they are not in the leadership seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies