Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It can also make people go and simply steal food and other things

What about honor and pride as motivators? I mean, at the end of the day, society may "threaten" an unmotivated person with hunger, but it can't really let the person starve to death.
Who discredits honor and pride as a motivator, but wouldnt those who care about honor and pride also be the same ones who wouldnt be out stealing?

We cant let people starve to death? Lots of people are staving to death, even in america with all of our "safety nets"

Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
With the rich doubling their wealth every five years and ripping off 40% of the economy while producing nothing, I find it difficult to worry about welfare. Perhaps if we could motivate those parasites to act like Americans we could get somewhere
You must have missed learning about this in school but

These people are indeed acting like americans.. Its those that arent out increasing their wealth while expecting others to give them things not acting like americans..

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Teach a man to take fish from others and he will teach his children to do the same.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What may work in Brazil may or may not work here. That being said, I feel strongly that many on welfare do get lazy or at best think so little of themselves they give up. When Reagan was governor of Ca one thing he did, he made all those on welfare that were able to work, do so. By this I mean things like dusting the parking meters as an example. Maybe that doesn't sound like much, but at least the recepiants were doing something for their checks.

By the way, I will add only one thing to your comments, I don't put too much into studies period especially those done by the World Bank.

Nita
Maybe the important thing is that welfare is conditional in the first place, regardless of what that might look like in individual cases. But I think the pressure has to be exerted in a humane, respectful rather than a bossy way. After all, in my view it is about helping the people, not about saving money.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:37 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's a culture of blame instead of responsibility. People would rather say that X is holding them down, preventing them from doing anything about their situation, that if only something was given they could reach the stars. Those who know that they are responsible for a majority of how their life progresses will work hard and end at the goals they set for themselves. Those who are motivated to move on out of the safety net will, but it's there when they need it after everything else is used to give them a hand up. Those who abuse it will never get out of it, it's just continual hand outs.

Give people hand ups, not hand outs, and you will see the change. A floor to stand on in case the worst happens, not some place to lounge about and take without worry.

You know i do agree with a lot of these points. This culture seems to have no problem blamning other's for their misfortunes in life, and they do it so easily. Yes there are those, who will take responsbile steps, to see that they pull themselves from being under the gutter, and will do what they have to, to pull themselves out. But i think it is very safe to also say, that there are quite a few who abuse the system, and the more hand out's given out, the more hand out's they will take, and suck you dry.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Two of my sisters had to go on welfare when their husbands left and they needed money to feed their kids. Both were on for less than 18 months. They didn't like receiving public assistance but it was the best choice while they were getting on their feet and figuring out the next step.

I've known other women in similar situations--they didn't stay on welfare because that wasn't the type of people they wanted to be. Giving them welfare didn't automatically kill their motivation, no.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Obviously welfare can work, if it is designed and executed intelligently.

yes it can...IF....it is used and supported as it was origanally intended as a HELPING HAND

but in the USA of today, it is more used as a crutch entitlement

last night we were out, but still watched the state of the union...one of the ladies we were out with on social services...she has said many times, she never plans on working again,,justs goes to school in the taxpayer's dime, and with what the POTUS said yesterday, she will get even more schools dollars.

I have a friend who lived in North Carolina..49% of his property taxes goes to social services....not to the schools.... but to the high welfare population down there

welfare has been abused too much in this country

Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Two of my sisters had to go on welfare when their husbands left and they needed money to feed their kids. Both were on for less than 18 months. They didn't like receiving public assistance but it was the best choice while they were getting on their feet and figuring out the next step.

I've known other women in similar situations--they didn't stay on welfare because that wasn't the type of people they wanted to be. Giving them welfare didn't automatically kill their motivation, no.
correct and they were good people, and used it as it was intented to be... a helping hand

but too many abuse it

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
I would think that many of them lack motivation before they get welfare. Those who are motivated, I would guess, don't stay on welfare as long.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Drug testing for all welfare recipients!

To pick up a welfare check, picking up trash along the roads, Cleaning Government buildings, or anything to actually earn it.

Giving someone a free ride, does nothing to make them change their habits of laziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies