Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Lots of people now days sell a piece or their whole food stamps just to have money. She probably bought it.
I know someone that use to get 561.00 a mth for her and 2 children that she got 2 weeks out of the mth, She would sell 200.00 each mth.

Our welfare system needs a complete over haul

Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hm, can one really live a decent life on welfare alone in the States? That is hardly possible in Germany, let alone here in Portugal. It would make me wonder why many Americans tend to look at Europe as commie land with an exaggerated social security system and safety net
Well, that is the irony isn't it?

Most Europeans seem to think there is no social welfare system in the USA. There is indeed such a system and it is quite large to say the least. It is probably marginally less generous than your typical structure in Europe, but its here.

From what I have observed, living in both the US and Germany, is that each has its share of lifelong welfare recipients. So if you live in Commieland (your sophmoric words, not mine), then we must also be a province. I have seen your Wohnblocks full of the permanently unemployed, so let's be honest.

Is the life decent? Not by my standards and probably not by yours. But having heat, food, housing, and the aforementioned cell phone given to you beats the hell out of living in a tent. The point is that its addictive- it is devoid of challenge and when people are devoid of challenge and have the basics handed to them, they stagnate. Or did all those older Ossis acclimate to Wessi Kapitalismus without a worry?

You know better. And if you do not, then you should.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You wonder why those on welfare have so many kids....

In the state of Texas they get over $800(It was $861 last I checked for illegal trespassers and their anchor babies) a month, for EACH child, until the child is 18.

5 x $800 = $4000 a month off the taxpayers dole What a free ride racket.
Kids are their cash cow, and nothing else. You see no parenting come from it, just cash.
Link that shows you get $800/child please.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Our welfare system needs a complete over haul
It needs completely abolished and replaced with a "work for food" program or something productive to the taxpayers..

Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well, that is the irony isn't it?

Most Europeans seem to think there is no social welfare system in the USA. There is indeed such a system and it is quite large to say the least. It is probably marginally less generous than your typical structure in Europe, but its here.

From what I have observed, living in both the US and Germany, is that each has its share of lifelong welfare recipients. So if you live in Commieland (your sophmoric words, not mine), then we must also be a province. I have seen your Wohnblocks full of the permanently unemployed, so let's be honest.

Is the life decent? Not by my standards and probably not by yours. But having heat, food, housing, and the aforementioned cell phone given to you beats the hell out of living in a tent. The point is that its addictive- it is devoid of challenge and when people are devoid of challenge and have the basics handed to them, they stagnate. Or did all those older Ossis acclimate to Wessi Kapitalismus without a worry?

You know better. And if you do not, then you should.
Germany is a special case, most of those Wohnblocks full of unemployed are in East Germany, people there often had only two possibilities after the fall of the wall: leave for the West and find work, or stay and be unemployed. There are Wohnblocks in the West, too, but many of its tenants are employed, albeit it in jobs most people would not want to do.

I don't know about the free cell phone, I don't think there are any such offers in Europe. I read that in German jails people are entitled to a TV set

Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Link that shows you get $800/child please.
Ditto. $48K a year seems too generous to be true so I'm calling BS until proof is shown.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It needs completely abolished and replaced with a "work for food" program or something productive to the taxpayers..
Again, I guess the problem is that a country will be considered primitive if it lets people starve to death should the person decide not to work, for whatever reason.

I read about a German professor today who said in the long run we have to get rid of the notion that everyone will and should be working. There is simply not enough work anymore, and even less so in the future. He proposes a general, unconditional salary of around 1500€ (about 2250$) for every adult regardless of whether they have a job or not. Naturally it has to be accompanied by a radical change in our priorities, motivations, goals, etc.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Ditto. $48K a year seems too generous to be true so I'm calling BS until proof is shown.
Also, from numbers and charts I have seen, the amount you get diminishes with each child, you don't get a flat rate per child. I'm also calling BS.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Or a requirement of some type of improvement to their life. Ie they dont have a ged get one. Have one you must attend some type of trade school something.

I dont mind helping people that need help. Life can be rough at times. Problem is there is to many abuses to the system.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Who needs motivation when the overwhelming number of alternatives are easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies