Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Well, hard to have a discussion with someone who tells people not to fill out census forms, yet won't say why.

Just because it's your "right" to not fill it out, doesn't mean you shouldn't fill it out just to exercise that "right... you must have a reason, unless you just want to be a "rebel" to be a "rebel".

It's your right to burn the flag, do you do that too?

I don't support making it required to fill out anything, but I don't see why you have such a problem with the census.
I don't go around on bullhorns telling people not to fill it out, and I didn't bring up the discussion topic. I simply opined on my beliefs. If you or the gov't don't like it, tough tacos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 11:21 AM

512 posts, read 861,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
The census forms aren't being sent out until March....I have no idea what you filled out or who you are really sending that information too but it most likely wasn't a real census.
There are census scammers out there...you should be careful. I hope you didn't give them personal information.
Actually, I received mine in the mail Tuesday. And yes, it was the official form. I live in Indiana, though, so it may be different where you live. I got my letter indicating I would be getting the form soon sometime last week.

Really, the questions aren't THAT important to keep from answering. I guess if you stand on some sort of principal, they may be, but there are many other, bigger, more important issues I'll stand on before I stand on the census. Again, from the perspective on genealogy, it's a very important part of our history. I know that may seem silly to some, but it's also fact.

Bottom line is, if they're gonna come getcha, I bet they have better ways of doing it.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Cool jesh...I just wanted to know if you will or will not..

fill out the census form.

It seem's that there is "SOME" resistance to the census. WHY?
The big brother gov't Knows you.....ever serve in the military, ever pay taxes, ever buy a house, buy a firearm and fill out forms, apply for any aid, get finger printed, buy a car license, a hunting or fishing license, get medical insurance (that's a big one)
or do anything that would have a paper trail?

Seem't to me that it is VERY difficult to get a 'honest' count. In the U.S.
"non-tax paying" Indians are Not counted..American Indians, who do not pay taxes, are excluded...
Then the "illegal immigrants" (politically correct?) are not counted.
But must be in some data bank to get, $$, health care, etc.
Are they somehow factored in the count?

The 2000 census did;
Employ some 860,000 temporary workers and costing $6 billion, Census 2000 is the largest peacetime mobilization of resources and personnel. For the first time, the Census Bureau runs a nationwide advertising campaign to encourage people to fill out their forms. The national Final Reponse Rate for the 2000 Census is 67% of the forms sent out.....
, much better than the expected 61% Final Response Rate.

Infoplease: Encyclopedia, Almanac, Atlas, Biographies, Dictionary, Thesaurus. Free online reference, research & homework help. — Infoplease.com › ... › US Statistics › Population -
interesting facts re the census.

Again are you going to fill out the "complete 10 question form"?

Might add one other tickler question....how would you respond to a census worker coming to your house, home etc.?

Stay tuned....and all this info get's processed????into..?

Happy trails,

HW

Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
fill out the census form.

It seem's that there is "SOME" resistance to the census. WHY?
The big brother gov't Knows you.....ever serve in the military, ever pay taxes, ever buy a house, buy a firearm and fill out forms, apply for any aid, get finger printed, buy a car license, a hunting or fishing license, get medical insurance (that's a big one)
or do anything that would have a paper trail?

Seem't to me that it is VERY difficult to get a 'honest' count. In the U.S.
"non-tax paying" Indians are Not counted..American Indians, who do not pay taxes, are excluded...
Then the "illegal immigrants" (politically correct?) are not counted.
But must be in some data bank to get, $$, health care, etc.
Are they somehow factored in the count?

The 2000 census did;
Employ some 860,000 temporary workers and costing $6 billion, Census 2000 is the largest peacetime mobilization of resources and personnel. For the first time, the Census Bureau runs a nationwide advertising campaign to encourage people to fill out their forms. The national Final Reponse Rate for the 2000 Census is 67% of the forms sent out.....
, much better than the expected 61% Final Response Rate.

Infoplease: Encyclopedia, Almanac, Atlas, Biographies, Dictionary, Thesaurus. Free online reference, research & homework help. — Infoplease.com › ... › US Statistics › Population -
interesting facts re the census.

Again are you going to fill out the "complete 10 question form"?

Might add one other tickler question....how would you respond to a census worker coming to your house, home etc.?

Stay tuned....and all this info get's processed????into..?

Happy trails,

HW
Well, I'm certainly not shy in real life...I'd just be polite and mention that my only obligation is to answer # in household and that we'll have to agree to disagree. If they have any further questions, they may contact me by mail to discuss it further.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you have no problem having the Repubs or Demos redraw district lines to give them advantage in Washingtoon then by all means do not answer the questions. It happened here in Texas, over a year AFTER the census and the Demos lost big time by the the lines being redrawn. So, as I said if you don't care if your rep may lose their seat in Congress due to your not answering a few simple questions then don't whine later when you get shafted.
Casper
FWIW... all of the Congress members need to be replaced. It would be a good thing if they were out looking for new jobs come Nov

Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Do I have a choice? I have to.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
Actually, I received mine in the mail Tuesday. And yes, it was the official form. I live in Indiana, though, so it may be different where you live. I got my letter indicating I would be getting the form soon sometime last week.
My information was from the US CENSUS (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/index.php - broken link) website.

Quote:
In March of 2010, census forms will be delivered to every residence in the United States and Puerto Rico.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Have never seen a census form addressed to "resident". And this will be the fifth in which I was involved.
I have never participated in one, to my recollection. Not in 1990, not in 2000.

The other two would have been someone else filling in the form.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:19 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Just what's necessary under the constitution, such as number of members in household.
Same.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
When and where did I ever say that or indicate it in any way? This thread is about the census, NOT about aliens, legal or illegal.
If they are to be counted then it is about them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies