Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I do not know enough about Citgo to comment much at all, because their are at least two different corporations that carry the Citgo name, Citgo Refining and Chemicals Company, and Citgo Petroleum Corporation.

If Citgo Petroleum Corporation is classified as a US Corporation, we may need a clarification of the law to properly identify corporations which should be classified as foreign corporations.
I think that's the sort of legislation Obama was suggesting in his State of the Union Address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Alito cheapened and lowered himself to the level of partisan hackery, and shamed the SCOTUS while he was at it.
Alito made a comment that was, as far as he knew, PRIVATE, to the person sitting next to him, because the president had misstated the decision that the court, of which Alito is a member, had issued. He did not script a public scolding of anyone, and if the camera hadn't happened to focus on him at that moment, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm not one of those who feels the President doesn't have the right to say whatever he wants in his State of the Union address. It's his address, the rest of us are just listening to it. But suggesting that Alito was in any way at all being a partisan hack is very far from the truth.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:08 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
Quote:
Alito cheapened and lowered himself to the level of partisan hackery, and shamed the SCOTUS while he was at it.
Yes, he did. Now this proves why he had a harder time being confirmed.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
The President of the United States during the State of the Union is allowed to tell the American People and the Congress what direction he or she would like the country to follow in this address. Because of the Separation of Powers the Congress does not have to follow if it does not see fit. Because the President felt that the Court's decision would hurt our election system he could voice those concerns. However, as I said, Congress does not have to do anything about it and allow the Court's ruling the last word on the issue. This is the greatness of our system of government.

Justice Alito's response was totally unprofessional. As a member of the Bar our judges are supposed to be impartial all the way. If I am arguing a point to the jury and the Judge is shaking his head in disagreement as I speak I am demanding a mistrial and appealing if I am denied. The fact that Alito shook his head in disagreement as the President spoke did break his stance of impartiality. He knows better. This issue is bigger than Republican or Democrat. I have colleagues on both sides of the isle who agree 100%. The other "conservative" members of the court did not move or show any agreement of disagreement one way or the other. This is an issue of professionalism and Justice Alito showed none.
He wasn't disagreeing with Obama. He was silently stating that Obama was wrong in what he was saying. The only one showing unprofessional ism was Obama - for stating in a speech something that is completely untrue. But it's what we've come to expect from amateur hour at the WH.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He wasn't disagreeing with Obama. He was silently stating that Obama was wrong in what he was saying. The only one showing unprofessional ism was Obama - for stating in a speech something that is completely untrue. But it's what we've come to expect from amateur hour at the WH.

When you feel your above the American people, and then feel and show that your above the Supreme Court, lying and then said your going to defy their decision, your name may be Obama. The Constitution is in his way to fundamentally change America.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Alito made a comment that was, as far as he knew, PRIVATE, to the person sitting next to him, because the president had misstated the decision that the court, of which Alito is a member, had issued. He did not script a public scolding of anyone, and if the camera hadn't happened to focus on him at that moment, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm not one of those who feels the President doesn't have the right to say whatever he wants in his State of the Union address. It's his address, the rest of us are just listening to it. But suggesting that Alito was in any way at all being a partisan hack is very far from the truth.
The other four jurors who voted with Alito said nothing and made no faces. Alito should have done the same. Afterwards, he or Roberts could have issued a statement to clarify the court's action; i.e., acting with dignity and gracefulness instead of a Joe Wilson moment.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How about you stop using dictionaries and online wikipedia?

US CODE: Title 50,1801. Definitions

§ 1801. Definitions

(i) “United States person” means a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence (as defined in section 1101 (a)(20) of title 8), an unincorporated association a substantial number of members of which are citizens of the United States or aliens lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or a corporation which is incorporated in the United States, but does not include a corporation or an association which is a foreign power, as defined in subsection (a)(1), (2), or (3) of this section.
Okay, keep reading:

(a) “Foreign power” means— (1) a foreign government or any component thereof, whether or not recognized by the United States;
(2) a faction of a foreign nation or nations, not substantially composed of United States persons;
(3) an entity that is openly acknowledged by a foreign government or governments to be directed and controlled by such foreign government or governments;

Nothing either in the definition of "United States person" or in the exclusion of a "foreign power" excludes a foreign corporation from being a United States person.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Yes, he did. Now this proves why he had a harder time being confirmed.
0bama proved why he should not have been elected president. The SOTU speech is not the place to ridicule and challenge a recent supreme court decision, it was completely unprecedented and shameful. Alito mouthing a reply to the president was not disrespectful.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:49 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Quote:
The other four jurors who voted with Alito said nothing and made no faces. Alito should have done the same. Afterwards, he or Roberts could have issued a statement to clarify the court's action; i.e., acting with dignity and gracefulness instead of a Joe Wilson moment.
And Obama shouldn't have attacked a group of distinguished guests on a platform where they were unable to retort. He did that alot in the State of the Union address.

My non-political wife even made the statement during the address that his arrogance and cockiness was annoying and troubling. He is cheapening the position of POTUS. Thus, a roll of the eyes or face by those he is criticizing from the protection of the podium is well deserved.

Respect is earned. Obama thinks it was handed to him when I took office.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 PM

293 posts, read 570,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why was Justice Alito the only member of the Court to do this? Have you had a lot of experience around Judges? This may be why you see no problem with what he did. Judges are not political appointments. The President of the United States is a politician. Judges must always appear to be impartial, period. As I stated in another post as a member of the Bar I and most lawyers I practice with hold judges to a higher standard because they are the "umpires" of our system. If the people think that President Obama is "unprofessional" and not getting the job done their voices will be heard in the next presidential election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies