Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 AM

135 posts, read 139,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I think Alitos response was totally justified considering Obama not only attempted to embarrass them but got the insult he was using wrong! Obama owns them a very public apology.
I think it does absolutely boil down to Obama's arrogance. How sad is it that our country is being led by a man's ego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 05:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Bush dropped a trillion dollars, then waved and smiled as he departed with his lovely wife, leaving the country headed for another Great Depression. This after LYING to go to war.

Being a supporter of the village idiot, I guess you're among those who really do believe that "dreams take wing."

President Obama far superior and doing a damn good job...you bet!
This is why California is in the shape it's in.....LosAltos too.....poor little rich kid....................

Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Alito's response was very "Judge like". As was his opinion on the ruling. Unfortunately, we have seen many years of very partisan rulings, so, I guess, we have come to accept that as the norm.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
NO he is NOT right! The business MUST have been incorporated here in the US and have their primary business headquarters in the US. HE WAS WRONG!!!

Current Federal Law clearly shows that if the company has their primary business in a foreign country then they can not contribute:
So okay, you know better than either Alito or Ted Olson. I'm sure you did much better than they did in law school, too.

If the ban on corporate contributions is unconstitutional, what constitutional principle would make the ban that you claim exists constitutional?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Why does anyone believe that a corporation is a person and has any right what so ever?

This decision just makes official the control of our elections and government by self selected immortal entities called corporations. In short the very rich not only own our country they now own our government.

Two hundred years of Democratic Republic was a grand experiment that lasted longer than anyone imagined. Rest in Peace. We enjoyed it while it lasted.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Bush dropped a trillion dollars, then waved and smiled as he departed with his lovely wife, leaving the country headed for another Great Depression. This after LYING to go to war.

Being a supporter of the village idiot, I guess you're among those who really do believe that "dreams take wing."

President Obama far superior and doing a damn good job...you bet!

What does that have to do with what I said and you quoted???
This is about the Constitution of the USA.

Nice diversion, when your losing the argument.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I don't know but where is Citgo Corps charter? Is it a US corporation?
Is there a law that prevents non-USA citizens to be majority stock holders in a corporation chartered in the US?
No, there isn't. And that is the issue as I see it. There are all kinds of U.S. companies chartered in the Cayman Islands, for example. That doesn't mean they should be able to influence the politics there either.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You don't get it and probably never will.

It is not about right, or left. It is about the constitution and 1st amendment rights of free speech. If you, like Obama, want to make it what it is not, I'll have to label you like him, a liar, or just plain ignorant. Which is it?

Hell, Obama raised over 2 million illegally from foreign corporations and individuals during his campaign and got away with most of it.
0bama also got $60 million from the special interest group called SEIU, which incidentally got the president of SEIU more access, in the form of visits to the White house, with our president then any other private citizen... who says you cannot buy influence.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why does anyone believe that a corporation is a person and has any right what so ever?

This decision just makes official the control of our elections and government by self selected immortal entities called corporations. In short the very rich not only own our country they now own our government.

Two hundred years of Democratic Republic was a grand experiment that lasted longer than anyone imagined. Rest in Peace. We enjoyed it while it lasted.
Took 7 pages for someone to hit the nail on the head....

"Free Speech"? I don't think ANYONE cares if the CEO of a corporation wants to use his personal wealth to buy an ad or wants to step up to a podium and speak his mind.....

THIS is about a CORPORATE ENTITY being handed the ability to flood the airwaves with political ads. It is about the entity with the biggest pocketbook being able to yell the loudest and being given unequal access to the people to sway the political process.... IT'S A CROCK!!!

Anyway, let's have all the lawyers in here raise thier hands..... Everyone else I want to keep in mind that Obama has VASTLY more legal training and experience than you (guarantee we'll have some that aren't that say they are anyway )...

Those that might be here that ARE lawyers? I'd STILL bet that Obama has more legal experience than you (and if you have more than he does, what the HELL are you doing here? )...

Only point on that is that Obama understands the law and the Constitution MUCH better than the partisans in here who claim he doesn't...

Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What does that have to do with what I said and you quoted???
This is about the Constitution of the USA.

Nice diversion, when your losing the argument.
At some point "free-speech" became warped into meaning that corporations can pay as much money as they want for political access to the American people?

You don't see that as twisted somehow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies