Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally I do not consider being allowed to vote as a "basic human right" so you have contradicted yourself with the statement that you do not care what another country does with regard to its social laws.

If you say that it is somehow wrong that a Muslim woman cannot drive a car, then you are advocating that they should adopt or at least consider Western culture, because you feel that the way they do things is somehow wrong.

As for Muhammed, I have not studied his life history yet. However, I do not believe that what he did before he received the prophecy from God is particularly important. Obviously, every aspect of his life would be forever altered and certainly he would not be the same man. So that part really is not important to me.

And no, I do not claim to be an expert in Islam. But I have studied it and am thinking about possibly converting one of these days when the time is right. Islam has the highest conversion rate in the world, by the way - especially from westerners and people in the United States and, WOMEN! lol Seems to me that if it was so awful, women wouldn't want so badly to be a part of it. I have studied many religions extensively and it is the only one I have ever considered becoming a part of.

20yrsinBranson
I did not contridict myself in any way. You can draw whatever conclusions from my statement you like, but do not put words in my mouth. I said beyond basic human rights (did I mention voting? no), I do not care about their social laws. Forced female circumcisions, death penalty for homosexuality, hangings or public executions for female victims of incest or rape... THOSE types of offenses, ..not can a woman drive or vote. I don't agree with middle eastern social culture that women are not regarded as equals to men, but that is for their society to confront and is not my concern.

Regarding Muhammed, I never made any distinction between his life pre and post-revelation, YOU did. I merely asked if you had studied his life history. For the record, I find that his life post "divine intervention" to be most interesting and telling of the religion of Islam and how it came to being. It is his actions after having received the supposed word of God that I find most fascinating. Like how he gave divine orders via Qu'ranic verse to his band of followers to attack and assault innocent Meccan merchants travelling to and from the city and raid them of all possessions. Look up the Battle of Badr where Muhammed and his followers killed numerous Meccan leaders and at least 45 innocent Meccans which subsequently led to a war with Mecca. He was not a man of peace. He conquered as a way to spread and convert the polytheistic pagans to his new religion of Islam and to gain material wealth through the spoils of his wars and conflicts (wealth = power).

Next look up the Seige of Medina, where he and his 3000 armed militant converts set upon the city of Medina. Unprovoked, Muhammed attacked the Banu Qurayza of Medina and all but the few who agreed to convert to Islam were publicly beheaded while the women and children were enslaved. Muhammed was an agressive warlord who gained material wealth and power by conquering the innocent who until that time had no conflict with him.

He also engaged in polygamy and had a concubine of 13 wives. All but 2 of these marriages were contracted after his divine insight. One of his wives, Aisha was 5 or 6 at the time of marriage to Muhammed and 8-9 at the time the marriage was consummated. Muhammed was in his 50's at that time.

The Qu'ran is the written life work and proclamations of Muhammed as received from "God" through him. The religion of Islam is based on these writings. To understand the religion, you must first understand the man and the history of his life. I repeat, a polygamous, pedophile warlord.

Citing the conversion rate as a reason to convert to Islam is naive, and I sincerely hope that isn't one of your reasons. You state that you have extensively studied many religions but not Islam, yet Islam is the one that you are considering converting to? Whatever, your choice. It seems to me that you would wish to pick and choose what you like about Islam while disregarding the rest, unless you (as a woman) enjoy being viewed as lesser than your male counterpart.

Would just like to add that you should be thankful you live in a country where you are free to choose your religion. Converting to any religion from Islam in muslim countries is punishable by death. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/672349/posts http://www.asylumlaw.org/docs/iran/I...%20Islamic.pdf http://www.jihadwatch.org/2009/09/mu...th-threat.html http://www.uslaw.com/library/Religio...hp?item=684426

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 01-30-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It's the liberals who cannot condemn Islamic law in this thread without pointing out that Christianity is just as bad. Never mind that we most likely have the most liberal laws with regard to homosexuality in comparison to ANY muslim country the world wide. No, our laws are not perfect, but they certainly don't prescribe death for the act of sodomy.

Simply put, Islamic law promotes and institutionalizes human rights abuses across the board... whether it be women's rights, children's rights, or homosexual rights. It is a religion and political ideology that is based in exclusion and lack of tolerance.

Your last sentences, just sums it all up in a nutshell! Their Islamic law does promote and institutionalizes any form of human rights, and abuses across the board. Women's Rights, are you kidding me, children's rights, homosexual rights, no way. They have a complete and different ideology then what we have. And a most difinite intolerance. People think we have it bad out here, they should try living in a place as that, they would soon be changing there tune.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:29 PM

900 posts, read 672,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Muslim student adviser: Death penalty for 'gays'
So says Vanderbilt Islamic Professor in video question/answer

Vanderbilt University is distancing itself from a Muslim chaplain after he told a gathering of students homosexuality is punishable by death under Islam.

"I don't have a choice as a Muslim to accept or reject teachings. I go with what Islam teaches," said Awadh A. Binhazim, who is listed on the Vanderbilt website as "Adjunct Professor of Islam at the Divinity School" and an adviser to the Muslim Student Association. His comments came earlier this week at a diversity event for students.

He was asked directly, "Under Islamic law is it punishable by death if you are a homosexual?"
Binhazim said, "Yes. It is punishable by death."

Here is the video
Ahh, the Christian fundamentalist dream come true! I wonder if they've ever considered an alliance with the Muslim nutjobs on this issue?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
I would love for the right-wing nuts to tote up exactly how many instances--in a world with a billion and a half Muslims and 48 majority-Muslim countries--of homosexuals actually executed for being homosexuals.

The right harped for ages on a single case in Iran in which two men were hanged for the rape of a 13-year-old boy. Now, whether the word "rape" was properly applied to the case can be doubted, and I do in fact doubt it, but that term is misapplied in this country as well. If the same happened in this country they would've been cheering it. There are people in CD who openly call for the death penalty for "child molesters" and that would certainly qualify.

I've heard of cases in Saudi Arabia (our friends!) and Afghanistan, possibly also Sudan, of execution of homosexuals. Aside from that, none. The notion that killing gays is a staple pastime of Islamic life is just one more lie constructed by the war-lovers to justify their own agenda.

In fact, I've probably had more Kuwaiti guys hit on me in chat rooms in the last 10 years than there have been homosexuals executed in the whole Islamic world during the same period. lol

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The notion that killing gays is a staple pastime of Islamic life is just one more lie constructed by the war-lovers to justify their own agenda.
It's also something that the anti-gay crowd uses to try to keep homosexuals "in their place" in the U.S. Before I had visited this forum, I had never heard any Americans telling gays that they should be happy with what they've got because their situation would be much worse if they lived in a Muslim country. It's a bizarre argument to me because nearly ALL of us would be worse off in a Muslim country - not just gays.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
And one more point worth noting. In every country where Islamic people have been able to vote, and have a majority vote, they have elected Sharia law.

dont be so sure that Islam is not a threat in America. they are not a threat because they are not a majority. There is no other reason.

Islam is not peaceful it is dangerous. there is no equal threat from either Christianity, nor Judism.

Very good valid points made here. Most of us know what the teachings of Islam stands for.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Still trying to figure out what POINT this thread is attempting to make?Is it to tell us that a religion is against homosexual activities? Aren't they all? Or is to get more people to hate a particular religion and those that believe in it?
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies