Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hooray!!! The recession is over! All of you unemployed people get back to work, right away! Thanks Mr. President.

Rhetoric vs Reality. Great speeches vs results.
These are results. Everybody knows employment is the last indicator to turn. The fact that inventories are turning over is a great sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 PM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
2005 Holiday sales: $435.6 Billion
2009 Holiday sales: $446.8 Billion
How much of that increase can be attributed to government "stimulus" via subsidies to buy new homes, and automobiles?

Just curious...

Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Wrong. Without the stimulus measures, the velocity of demand would have been zero, and inventory would not have been liquidated. Cash for clunkers, for instance, created demand for cars which liquidated inventory which in turn cranked up production of new cars to replace depleted inventory. The homebuyer credits did the same thing for housing. It's no coincidence that job losses have receded from 600K a month to a gain of 4000 in Nov 2009. I suggest you pull your head out of your arse and get back to the real world.

OK dude, please prove your hypothesis. Those credits you speak of did not create demand they simply shifted demand from one quarter to another. If you have evidence to the contrary we would love to see it.

Of course it is no mystery that job loss has slowed, always does. Have you known a recession where it didn't?

By the way you do realize there hasn't been any net job gains right? What you don't understand is that the 4000 jobs gain you site is in one specific sector? Very lame. LMAO.

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...FREE/100109884

"Financial activities showed a net gain of 4,000 jobs in December, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported this morning, to 7,695,000, from 7,691,000. According to Bloomberg data, that's the first gain since the summer of 2007, when the sector had a total of about 8.3 million jobs"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100107/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy (broken link)

Pathetic.

My young friend, I have been off my arse and in the real world for more years than I care to admit. I suggest you join us.

Last edited by shorebaby; 01-29-2010 at 09:11 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
OK dude, please prove your hypothesis. Those credits you speak of did not create demand they simply shifted demand from one quarter to another. If you have evidence to the contrary we would love to see it.

Of course it is no mystery that job loss has slowed, always does. Have you known a recession where it didn't?

My young friend, I have been off my arse and in the real world for more years than I care to admit. I suggest you join us.
You've just shown again your lack of understanding of economics. "Shifting demand from one quarter to another" is just another way of saying "making the consumer spend now instead of later". But that's the whole point of the stimulus. During recessions, the consumer hoards cash, demand falls off, setting off a deflationary spiral which causes more unemployment which begets more hoarding of cash. The stimulus package intends to break this spiral by enticing the consumer to snap out of his cash-hoarding mode. Spend the cash now so it can recirculate into the economy and exert its multiplier effect on economic growth. That's how you ramp up your velocity of demand.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
So, if job losses always slow, what are you so hyped up about? You have been whining on this thread for nothing.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
You've just shown again your lack of understanding of economics. "Shifting demand from one quarter to another" is just another way of saying "making the consumer spend now instead of later". But that's the whole point of the stimulus. During recessions, the consumer hoards cash, demand falls off, setting off a deflationary spiral which causes more unemployment which begets more hoarding of cash. The stimulus package intends to break this spiral by enticing the consumer to snap out of his cash-hoarding mode. Spend the cash now so it can recirculate into the economy and exert its multiplier effect on economic growth. That's how you ramp up your velocity of demand.

Give it up my friend. Demand has NOT been increased. The point of stimulus was to increase demand, it hasn't happened. Obama hasn't been shouting from the roof tops "yeah lets shift demand!".

Let me help you out here. Suppose I am your boss and I tell you I am going to give you a raise. I say I will give you 10% more pay this month and then 10% less next month would you consider that an increase in pay? If so, do you want a job?

And clearly jobs have not been created.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
So, if job losses always slow, what are you so hyped up about? You have been whining on this thread for nothing.

Ummm no, I don't think the American people are jazzed about slowing job loss. for $750 billion I think people were actually expecting at least 1 job gain. Even though we have 1 person thinks 4000 jobs have been created , the reality is we are still sheding jobs.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
By the way you do realize there hasn't been any net job gains right? What you don't understand is that the 4000 jobs gain you site is in one specific sector? Very lame. LMAO.

Financial sector sees first job gains since July '07 - Investment News

Dude, do you not even read your own links? Here's what your link above says:

Quote:
Other sectors that added jobs last month included temporary help, education, and health care. The health care industry, the Bureau of Labor Statistics noted, has added 631,000 jobs since the recession began.

Tell me which part of that do you not understand. It says that other sectors besides the financial sector that gained jobs are temporary help, education, and health care. That's 4 sectors right there, not one specific sector as you falsely claimed. If you need me to translate that for you in simpler English, let me know.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Dude, do you not even read your own links? Here's what your link above says:

Tell me which part of that do you not understand. It says that other sectors besides the financial sector that gained jobs are temporary help, education, and health care. That's 4 sectors right there, not one specific sector as you falsely claimed. If you need me to translate that for you in simpler English, let me know.

Yikes are really trying to claim that there has been a net increase in jobs, is simply ain't so. You need to give up when you are behind dude. I was trying to help you out by saying you were mistaken by saying there was a net gain of 4000 jobs by saying you misinterpreted data. But I guess the truth is more dire than that.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Give it up my friend. Demand has NOT been increased. The point of stimulus was to increase demand, it hasn't happened. Obama hasn't been shouting from the roof tops "yeah lets shift demand!".

Let me help you out here. Suppose I am your boss and I tell you I am going to give you a raise. I say I will give you 10% more pay this month and then 10% less next month would you consider that an increase in pay? If so, do you want a job?

And clearly jobs have not been created.
When you say jobs have not been created, are you talking net?

Of course jobs have been created. That's an undeniable fact. There have been more jobs lost than created, though. That's also an undeniable fact.

Stimulus of any kind is never intended to drive the market. It's simply meant to minimize the impact of its trough until the market recovers, which economists have universally agreed it has been successful in doing. I think Obama's critics expect too much sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies