Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Wrong. Without the stimulus measures, the velocity of demand would have been zero, and inventory would not have been liquidated. Cash for clunkers, for instance, created demand for cars which liquidated inventory which in turn cranked up production of new cars to replace depleted inventory. The homebuyer credits did the same thing for housing. It's no coincidence that job losses have receded from 600K a month to a gain of 4000 in Nov 2009. I suggest you pull your head out of your arse and get back to the real world.

Care to show us where that gain is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Need I rub your face on your link again? Read the link that you posted. The data you are looking for is there.

Oh my young friend proven wrong again and again and.......

Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Jobs are created as a natural part of doing business. There is simply no way of proving what has been saved or created by government. Anyone who claims they can is lying.

Of course the administration expected jobs to be created. They told us unemployment would go no higher than 8% with stimulus. Boy were they wrong.
I agree in theory, but the economy failed us so governments around the world stepped in to create and save jobs. I know firsthand people that have jobs saved and created from it. A lot of state governments were able to keep operating during this period, infrastructure is being fixed, cops are being paid, etc...

There's really no way to deny that jobs have been created that wouldn't be there while the economy rebooted. Should we keep creating jobs once things are stable again? No. But nothing wrong with doing what every country did to get through.

Whether they lied or truly underestimated the 8% number is I guess up to the individual to decide. In the end, governments don't control economies. They can only influence them over time.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I agree in theory, but the economy failed us so governments around the world stepped in to create and save jobs. I know firsthand people that have jobs saved and created from it. A lot of state governments were able to keep operating during this period, infrastructure is being fixed, cops are being paid, etc...

There's really no way to deny that jobs have been created that wouldn't be there while the economy rebooted. Should we keep creating jobs once things are stable again? No. But nothing wrong with doing what every country did to get through.

Whether they lied or truly underestimated the 8% number is I guess up to the individual to decide. In the end, governments don't control economies. They can only influence them over time.

These fixes are temporary at best. Government jobs do not really create any demand. Fill a pot hole and it is done. Make an iPod and many jobs are created. Tax breaks would have done much more to create lasting jobs. Can you imagine what a one year tax holiday would have done for the economy?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
These fixes are temporary at best. Government jobs do not really create any demand. Fill a pot hole and it is done. Make an iPod and many jobs are created. Tax breaks would have done much more to creat lasting jobs. Can you imagine what a one year tax holiday would have done for the economy?
That's what FDR did with all the jobs creation programs. It was WWII that really pulled us out though.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
Oh my young friend proven wrong again and again and.......
So you've run out of ammo? Can't even be bothered to read the link you yourself provided? Is this what passes for discussion in your mind? Thing is, you provided the rope with which you can hang yourself. The article you linked gave a fair summary of the jobs picture using data from the BLS. The revised data from Nov 2009 showed a net gain of 4000. That's a marked improvement from the 700,000 jobs lost in January 2009 when Bush left office. And the sectors adding jobs included 4 sectors, including finance. It wasn't just one sector that gained jobs, as you falsely asserted.

The problem with you is that in your zeal to attack Obama, you've humiliated yourself by displaying your inability to understand articles written in simple English.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
So you've run out of ammo? Can't even be bothered to read the link you yourself provided? Is this what passes for discussion in your mind? Thing is, you provided the rope with which you can hang yourself. The article you linked gave a fair summary of the jobs picture using data from the BLS. The revised data from Nov 2009 showed a net gain of 4000. That's a marked improvement from the 700,000 jobs lost in January 2009 when Bush left office. And the sectors adding jobs included 4 sectors, including finance. It wasn't just one sector that gained jobs, as you falsely asserted.

The problem with you is that in your zeal to attack Obama, you've humiliated yourself by displaying your inability to understand articles written in simple English.

My friend please cut and paste the section that says the economy has a net gain of 4000 jobs. It doesn't exist. Step away from the computer and go to bed.

Perhaps this will help you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34764269...s_and_economy/

"Earlier, the Labor Department reported the U.S. lost 85,000 net jobs in December even as the unemployment rate held at 10 percent. The rate would have been higher if more people had been looking for work instead of leaving the labor force because they can't find jobs."

Please fight with the Labor Department if you don't like it. Sheesh admit you are wrong already.

Hopefully you can understand this. I typed really slowly.

"Many analysts had hoped Friday's report would show the economy gained jobs for the first time in two years. While the revised figures found an increase in November, it was tiny.
"One word sums it up: Disappointment," said Jonathan Basile, an economist at Credit Suisse."

Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
These fixes are temporary at best. Government jobs do not really create any demand. Fill a pot hole and it is done. Make an iPod and many jobs are created. Tax breaks would have done much more to create lasting jobs. Can you imagine what a one year tax holiday would have done for the economy?
And do tell us, what were the tax rates in 2007, 2008, and 2009? Answer: they were/are the lowest in generations. Long term cap gains = 15%. Top marginal tax bracket = 35%. Tax cuts? We're already there, my friend. And yet these low tax rates did nothing to prevent this severe recession from happening. So this is actually an experiment happening in real time, and we now have the results: low tax rates do not prevent recessions. If they did, we'd never be in this mess in the first place.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Precisely - that's what they're supposed to be - temporary fixes. They're supposed to be jobs to keep people afloat until the economy can create real demand. If the economy is broken and can't create jobs, then who will? That's right - government.

Obama's given out TONS of tax breaks so far - the largest chunk of the stimulus is tax breaks - hundreds of billions in tax breaks and, by your own argument, they haven't really created many jobs. I think that's a fading solution to everything from the right that isn't always a solution (Sometimes it is).

But I don't get why you think creating temporary jobs until the market recovers a bad thing. As mentioned above, that's precisely what FDR's programs did and they saved a whole lot of livelihoods.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Precisely - that's what they're supposed to be - temporary fixes. They're supposed to be jobs to keep people afloat until the economy can create real demand.

Obama's given out TONS of tax breaks so far - the largest chunk of the stimulus is tax breaks - hundreds of billions in tax breaks and, by your own argument, they haven't really created many jobs. I think that's a fading solution to everything from the right that isn't always a solution (Sometimes it is).

But I don't get why you think creating temporary jobs until the market recovers a bad thing. As mentioned above, that's precisely what FDR's programs did and they saved a whole lot of livelihoods.

What tax breaks are you talking about? There have been no business tax breaks, they create jobs.

Temporary jobs are useless by definition because they go away. Would you count on a holiday job to get a mortgage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies