Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
The Republican Party kept control of both the House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate until 2007. The Democratic Party wrested control of both houses of the 110th Congress, although by a very slim margin, especially in the Senate. The composition of the 109th Congress (2005 - 2007) was as follows:
Senate: 44 D, 55 R House: 202 D, 231 R
The composition of the 110th Congress (2007 - ) is as follows:
Senate: 49 D, 49 R House: 233 D, 198 R
Reference:
Composition of Congress, by Political Party, 1855–2008 — Infoplease.com

Dems need to take responsibility and quit blaming everyone else. The congress and house make and pass the laws not the Pres, and they have been in control for more than three years.
Moderates blame bush & republicans too. They spoke loudly at the voting booth. Get well soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
They were shown doctored and fraudulent intelligence, weren't they? They didn't really have a lot of options, did they? Just sayin'
I believe inaccurate is the correct term - the same reports from the same sources British Intelligence got.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Take a look at this video, by a black man, by the way. You can do it, I know you can. You'll just have to wait on the first 40-45 seconds of promo.

PJTV - Truckin' 2010: Has Obama Set Democrats Up For a Long, Strange Trip?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As somebody who has worked in real estate for the past 15 years I can tell you that Barney Frank and others didn't force banks to make bad loans. It was pure greed by mortgage lenders knowing that if they made a bad loan the Feds would cover them.
The CRE had good intentions to allow those who had sketchy credit or low incomes a opportunity to become a homeowner. It is up to the lenders who have mortgage underwriting policies to follow through on their guidelines and many were more concerned about the bottom line than if it was a quality loan.
Why didn't they care? Because they would lend the money and then sell of the mortgage to another investor and then that loan became their problem!
Stop blaming politicians for the unscrupulous acts of many lenders.
The politicians laid the ground work and the lenders just played there game as it was setup by..........politicians.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I believe inaccurate is the correct term - the same reports from the same sources British Intelligence got.
Yeah, was it just innaccurate? The highest paid military with the highest alottment of funds and intelligence resources in the world and we made a mistake. Have you been here long, Rggr? Simply, innocently, innacurate. You're cute.

Either term you use, aren't you simply conceding my point?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
And just what does the democratic congress have to do with the invasion of Iraq? What does the democratic congress have to do with the stimulus, proposed and submitted to the democratic congress by Bush, of 2008 that didn't put a dent or even a scratch in the economy.

Too easy to poke holes in this BS.
It's congress' job to declare war. not the president. And just what have the democrats done to get us out of Iraq? Nothing. The president cannot declare war. Only congress.

The democratic congress voted for that stimulus. The president cannot spend money. Only congress can.

This is all in the constitution. You might want to read it sometime. it is very informative.

And if the "Bush" stimulus didn't work then why did the democrats try another one after Bush left? If it didn't work the first time then it aint gonna work the second.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
The Republican Party kept control of both the House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate until 2007. The Democratic Party wrested control of both houses of the 110th Congress, although by a very slim margin, especially in the Senate. The composition of the 109th Congress (2005 - 2007) was as follows:
Senate: 44 D, 55 R House: 202 D, 231 R
The composition of the 110th Congress (2007 - ) is as follows:
Senate: 49 D, 49 R House: 233 D, 198 R
Reference:
Composition of Congress, by Political Party, 1855–2008 — Infoplease.com

Dems need to take responsibility and quit blaming everyone else. The congress and house make and pass the laws not the Pres, and they have been in control for more than three years.
I don't see anything funny about the 8 years of Bush/Cheney rule. And yes, I do place accountability on Bush as he was the president of the U.S. for 8 years and he did have influence on a lot of things. If he didn't have influence being the CEO of the United States of America, then there is indeed something wrong. However, since we all know that that's not possible or true, then let's not play games with each other here and pretend that it was the Congress who was solely responsible thus deflecting accountability from Bush/Cheney.

It is true that it was a combination of the various branches that turned out country into what it is today, but to pretend that Bush/Cheney are not responsible doesn't even make sense. It's like you're saying that Bush/Cheney were out to lunch for 8 years and everything just ran by itself or by Congress. Like I said, this doesn't make sense. What does make sense is that there are a lot of politicians (both parties) who are out for themselves and their career and self-preservation and will say anything to get elected, but once elected, they seem to have an entirely different agenda.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I laugh at both sides, each wanting to blame the other side when things go wrong.

It makes me glad that I do not vote, nor support any political party! You're BOTH wrong--wrong for me, wrong for America.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
The politicians laid the ground work and the lenders just played there game as it was setup by..........politicians.
I will tell you what KerryMac if there is a way to break a law or curcumvent it some business people will find a way to do so and that is what a lot of mortgage lenders did.
Blaming the CRE and politicians is naive. These lenders made loans because they knew that if they underwrote a bad mortgage the Feds would back them up.
If these lenders didn't resell the mortgages they underwrote we wouldn't have had a housing crisis we endured.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
And if the "Bush" stimulus didn't work then why did the democrats try another one after Bush left? If it didn't work the first time then it aint gonna work the second.
Simple but intelligent question . . .

1. As previously noted. The first stimulus was directed at the individual tax payer only under the belief to put some bucks in their pocket and they'll spend.

2. The second stimulus was/is directed at many facets of the economy, not just the individual tax payer.

Will the second work? Capitalism is a guessing game. The FDR approach did or has worked in China. Europe is still pouring money into their economies. Just have to wait and see what comes out of the wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies