Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 PM

374 posts, read 809,398 times

Advertisements

Usually "bipartisanship" means that larger than usual deception is being carried out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,747,394 times

Okay GOP:

Quote:
OBAMA: All right. Jim (sic), with all due respect, I've just got to take this last question as an example of how it's very hard to have the kind of bipartisan work that we're going to do, because the whole question was structured as a talking point for running -- running a campaign.

Now, look, let's talk about the budget, once again, because I'll go through it with you line by line.

The fact of the matter is, is that when we came into office, the deficit was $1.3 trillion. $1.3 trillion. So -- so when you say that suddenly I've got a monthly budget that is higher than the annual -- or a monthly deficit that's higher than the annual deficit left by Republicans, that's factually just not true, and you know it's not true.

And what is true is that we came in already with a $1.3 trillion deficit before I had passed any law. What is true is, we came in with $8 trillion worth of debt over the next decade.

Had nothing to do with anything that we had done. It had to do with the fact that in 2000, when there was a budget surplus of $200 billion, you had a Republican administration and a Republican Congress, and we had two tax cuts that weren't paid for, you had a prescription drug plan -- the biggest entitlement plan, by the way, in several decades -- that was passed, without it being paid for, you had two wars that were done through supplementals, and then you had $3 trillion projected because of the lost revenue of this recession.

That's $8 trillion. Now, we increased it by $1 trillion because of the spending that we had to make on the stimulus.

I am happy to have any independent factchecker out there take a look at your presentation versus mine in terms of the accuracy of what I just said.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,551,860 times

Remember when Bush was in office and would hold "Town' 'Hall' 'Meetings"
where the audience was screened in advance to make sure they were 100%
in support of the president... and then a few were hand-picked and told what to ask?

Now look at Obama...

...facing down a room full of GOP at the most contentious moment of his Presidency
and owning them one by one.

I'm saving this (and the SOTU Address) in my 'playback file' for future reference.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,663,871 times
So how come all you bi-partisan obsessed conservatives were fine when Bush / Repubs shut Democrats out for 6 years and then filibustered to a stalemate for the last 2 so no progress could be made to help our country and we collapsed?

I don't get it. Why do you want the other side to be bipartisan when your side isn't?

It's so great to have a genuine president - someone who understands his legacy lies not in political points but in making our nation work again. Great to have him in office.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,013,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Now don't be bitter.... He kicked some repub butt.
Poetry in motion. Like watching a political Michael Jordan. Smooooooooth.

Check out the 1st video and what the report said a Repub told him in confidence.

Last edited by kovert; 01-29-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,040,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
TigerLily, your post above indicates that you believe the president has acted in good faith in the past, and tried a bipartisan approach.

The evidence does not suggest that to be the case.

Simply because Mr. Obama has said he wants to work with the opposition is no proof that he has or is willing to.

Show me where he has compromised and incorporated Republican Ideas?
"Republican ideas" is an oxymoron. Please list the great ideas the Republican have had over the last ten years that would have benefitted the average American.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,040,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

Remember when Bush was in office and would hold "Town' 'Hall' 'Meetings"
where the audience was screened in advance to make sure they were 100%
in support of the president... and then a few were hand-picked and told what to ask?

Now look at Obama...

...facing down a room full of GOP at the most contentious moment of his Presidency
and owning them one by one.

I'm saving this (and the SOTU Address) in my 'playback file' for future reference.
Isn't it great that he did not call himself 'The Commander Guy" or some other stupid a$$ title.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,817,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
FULL VERSION OF Q&A SESSION:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuG2...layer_embedded

The beginning was kinda funny and pretty telling of who (exactly) sounds like they're running for office...oh wait, some of those senators ARE running for office... THIS YEAR!

I think the GOP really underestimated the President's debating skills, his intelligence and his sharp wit.
Perhaps spoon-feeding slogans to Tea Baggers and Social Conservatives has made them soft in the head?

At any rate, as I said before, I think they got an unexpected 'spanking' at their own summit.
I dont think this should have been used as a contest to be sharp witted. I think it should have been a chance for both to talk as adults and try and listen and solve our problems. From a video of part I watched, He made excuses for why he broke his problems. about no lobbyist working hin his white house, He didnt promise to be tougher then previous presidents. He promised no lobbyist in his white house. Then the answer about earmarks just another excuse also. I am sick of hearing excuses from our elected officials. I want to hear them man or women up and admit they did wrong.

Lets not talk about slogans really.Change you can believe. Yes we can

I also dont think his pointing fingers is good for working towards bi partisans support. He needs to work on motivating and putting his little snide comments aside. He is the president lead by example. Also his interrupting was uncalled for also.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,747,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I dont think this should have been used as a contest to be sharp witted. I think it should have been a chance for both to talk as adults and try and listen and solve our problems. From a video of part I watched, He made excuses for why he broke his problems. about no lobbyist working hin his white house, He didnt promise to be tougher then previous presidents. He promised no lobbyist in his white house. Then the answer about earmarks just another excuse also. I am sick of hearing excuses from our elected officials. I want to hear them man or women up and admit they did wrong.

Lets not talk about slogans really.Change you can believe. Yes we can

I also dont think his pointing fingers is good for working towards bi partisans support. He needs to work on motivating and putting his little snide comments aside. He is the president lead by example. Also his interrupting was uncalled for also.
Talk like adults?
This assumes there are nothing but adults present.

You think the GOP doesn't point fingers? Get real!
"OBAMACARE will bankrupt this nation!" "Obama is spending like a drunken sailor!" "Where is Obama's birth certificate?" "Obama's policies are disastrous."

Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,817,816 times
Did Obama lie or did he just forget.

During this retreat Tom Price addressed Obama about his repeated comments about republicans not offering any ideas. Obama said that he doesnt think he said that.

A White House blog post attacking the Republican health care plan said it offered "no ideas." (The posting appears to have a typo. It reads: "The Republican bill offers new no ideas.")

At a picnic with labor officials in Cincinnati, Ohio, on Sept. 7, 2009, Obama complained that the critics of health care reform -- he didn't identify them as Republicans, but it was clear he was referring to them -- were not offering their own solutions. He said, "I've got a question for all those folks: What are you going to do? What's your answer? What's your solution? And you know what? They don't have one. Their answer is to do nothing. Their answer is to do nothing."
PolitiFact | Price says Obama and his aides have said Republicans have 'no ideas' on health care

Did he lie or just forget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies